Sharp

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever we went for a clipping, the nails would grow back long, but not sharp.
She does have scratching areas. Could those be sharpening her claws?
This time they have not grown back as long, BUT they are needle sharp to the point where she is getting her paws caught on EVERYTHING ! When she goes to knead something, she has to PULL her stuck paw out of the fabric ..it makes a popping sound. I felt so bad last night when she just gave up because she couldn't extricate her nails and sadly looked at me for help.
I always go to the vet because she does not like her paws held..otherwise I would gently file around the cutting, and they work in two's to restrain her.
We go to the vet tomorrow for a trim, but my question:
What makes nails grow needle sharp when before they grew out thick?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All my cats' nails grew out sharp - as in pointed at the ends. For me, it seems the longer they got, the more pointed they became. Given your cat did not have her nails grow this way before, perhaps it has something to do with the tech(s) who cut them and how long/short they were cut. Her nails could also be growing at a faster rate than before.

Some folks trim their cats' nails every 2-3 weeks to help avoid the growth becoming more pointed.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's been with you awhile now! She might just be healthier now so her nails are growing more normally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's been with you awhile now! She might just be healthier now so her nails are growing more normally.
No needles sticking into me in the morning now. No click click clicking in the wee hours of the morning. They will need another trim in 2 weeks.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No needles sticking into me in the morning now. No click click clicking in the wee hours of the morning. They will need another trim in 2 weeks.
Do you trim them yourself, or do you have a vet or groomer do it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, iPappy, I take her to the vet and the techs do it for about $20. If I even try to take her front paw for ANY reason she pulls it back with mega strength! They do the burrito thing.
Speaking of the burrito, I tried to follow the instructions on YouTube, but ever notice that the demos only use tame cats that LOVE being swaddled in a burrito? LOL

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, iPappy, I take her to the vet and the techs do it for about $20. If I even try to take her front paw for ANY reason she pulls it back with mega strength! They do the burrito thing.
Speaking of the burrito, I tried to follow the instructions on YouTube, but ever notice that the demos only use tame cats that LOVE being swaddled in a burrito? LOL
They do make it look easy!
Could you ask the techs if they could attempt using a rotary file on her nails? I've been doing that on my older cats rear nails because they grow out so fast, and sharp, and it's really been helping extend the time between trims. She might not allow it, but, they might be willing to make an attempt.