Sharp, Raw Chicken Backbones...not Good?

FirstRescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I often buy whole chickens and spatchcock them before roasting. This involves using kitchen shears to cut though the back ribs in order to remove the backbone. I was thinking of introducing my new kittens to a raw meat diet over time, and I wonder if I can eventually give them portions of the backbone to gnaw. But where I cut through the ribs, the bone ends are super sharp, and I'm scared of the kitties hurting themselves.

Should I avoid giving them these chicken backbones with sharp edges?

If so, I know some people feed raw cats chicken necks and chicken feet without trouble. I know where to get feet but don't know how to source necks. Thoughts?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior cat and kitten both enjoy a cut piece of chicken ribs. If you watch them, most cats instincts are to be pretty careful while chewing. If they hit a sharp angle, they spit the food out and go at it from a different angle. That's my experience anyway. Watch your kittens eat and see how they do.

Stores around here stopped stocking chicken necks several years ago; can't seem to find small packages any more. We have a local mom&pop poultry market that caters to restaurants but will sell to the public. Unfortunately, you have to buy a large case of necks (I can't remember if it's 24 pounds or 40 pounds...I think it's 40lbs).

I think Hare Today sells necks. Some other online raw pet food retailers also have them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FirstRescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great to know. I'll definitely monitor carefully when I give them some backbone chunks, and start them off with smaller game birds. Thanks for the advice!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Occasionally the cats will leave a little sharp piece of bone on their saucers. They seem to know when something is too large/sharp/hard to swallow. ;)

Not to scare you, but there was one occasion (only one) where my kitten got a piece of bone or cartilage stuck between her teeth on the roof of her mouth. She worked at it about 30 seconds, pawing at her face and mouth and managed to dislodge it by herself. That was scary, and I was watching and wondering at what point to intervene. That happened the first week I was introducing her to raw. So yes, do watch them eat when feeding bone until you are sure they have "learned" how to chew.