Sharing the bed with the cat... or the other way round

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So... It has been terribly hot here and I have switched to having the air conditioner on when I sleep. Hugo usually sleeps in my bed but he does have his nightly crazies where he runs about. Lately, he has taken to sleeping in quite a bit at night and there are some mornings that I find myself squished against a corner and he occupying the entire of one side of the twin bed or more which is nearly hilarious since I don't know how it happens.

Does any of your kitties do that?

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat, Sebastian usually doesn't want to sleep in my bed, but growing up, my cat, Annie, would do exactly what you are describing.

I would fall alseep with her curled up next to me and more than a few times I would wake up on the edge of the bed with her sprawled out over the width of most of it. Once I even woke up hitting the floor!

So yes, my cat "pushed" me off the bed! I guess we just sense them moving around in our sleep so we move over, until they've taken over! :D

cheshirecat03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My current cat Gracie doesn't do that - she sleeps at the foot of the bed. In the mornings though she'll walk all over me or nudge my hands, feet, face, etc so that I'll wake up and feed her! Haha.

When I was younger we had a family cat named Stinky (my brother was four or so when he named him! :D) He was a big kitty, very fluffy, and well ... He was fat. Like a good 20 pounds or so fat. He used to lay with me on my bed but eventually he would somehow take up the entire space! Lol or we'd be laying together and I'd get up to go to the bathroom or grab something and I'd come back and there would be no room on the bed for me!

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Nel has quite a few different sleeping spots on the bed she uses when we're there. Lately she has been smushing herself between the headboard and my boyfriends head/pillow. Other times she will lay on us (stomach or back). On the rare occasion she will burrow herself under the cover and snuggle with me. But most of the time, I find her at my feet on the corner of the bed. When it's just me home with her she happily plops herself on my boyfriend's pillow and curls up. 

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Xena allows us to share her bed. It is Texas and it is summer so it gets hot. I end up pushing her off the bed several times a night, but she gets right back up. Loosing battle! LOL

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Foley gets so comfy on my bed that we rolls over and falls lol is so funny to watch him wake up while falling. Maia comes in the middle of the night wanting me to rub her neck so she can fall asleep then we cuddle. She's such a baby girl and she's two years old! She also loves to sleep with her monkey :)

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Cassie would usually sleep at the lower corner of the bed, though if it's cold, she'd crawl under the covers and stick her paws up against my butt. She'd stay there all night long too.

Monet's all over. He'd sleep on the other lower corner, on the other side of the bed where another person's head would be, or he'd curl up against my tummy if I am on my sides.

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh! that is too funny! Your cat pushed you out of the bed. I laughed and laughed - still grinning, in fact. Thanks for that image :-)

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I got my comeuppance last night. Mr. Grimsby sometimes sleeps beside me on the bed; sometimes on my pillow. This morning I shifted my head to the left just a little bit and the stinker sprawled out to take up the whole pillow! Fortunately, he sleeps on the outside, so I didn't fall out of the bed, but it wasn't for lack of trying on his part :-0

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am laughing at some of these posts because I know exactly what you are talking about.  I have a queen size bed and somehow, my two cats manage to take up over three quarters of the bed.   My newest talent to accommodate this was to become a contortionist.  I look at their little faces and they are comfortable, sprawled out and happy, which is important to me, but in the morning, it takes a good 15 minutes of stretching to get my bones back in place.  It is amazing their little routines to get ready to take over my bed.  My little girl crawls under the covers, paws at the sheets and then comes and snuggles in my arms for about and hour and then goes on top of the blankets and stretches out as far as she can.  My big boy stays on tops and spends a good fifteen minutes padding at the blanket.  He then sprawls out and at sometime in the early morning hours, he decides it is time to conquer the pillows.  That in itself is not too bad but it is the steady whomping my head with his tail that gets annoying.  He does this with an ulterior motive because he knows I will scratch his chin for a few minutes and then he tucks his tail in and goes back to sleep.  I firmly believe that it is in a cat's life contract to take up their human parents bed.  But, let's be honest...would we have it any other way....not too likely.

Last edited:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sinbad prefers to sleep on my left calf or ankle, with his head resting on my toes. It doesn't matter whether I'm lying on my stomach, side or back, he'll wait until I'm in bed and not moving before he jumps in too, and then he wanders around searching for my left leg. And he really searches for it! He sits on his back legs and feels around with his front paws until he finds a leg and then he'll get up and walk on it to investigate and make sure it's the left. 

He's the happiest though when I'm on my side snuggling with the hubby, because then he can lean against my hubby while he's curled up on my leg.

flutenotepoet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't take up half the bed but he likes to sleep near our feet or in the crook of our legs when they are bended.  If there's an unused pillow sometimes he will go on that.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Morticia does this! She usually starts out on the edge of my bed but by the time I wake up in the morning I am on the edge. She Takes up more room than my Black lab/Great Dane. 

hagen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see any possibility to sleep without my cats. They lie above my head and have colorful dreams :)