Sharing A Brush With New Kitten

Earthyscents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been brushing resident cat with the same brush as the new kitten so they can get used to their smells. I brushed the new kitty a lot and when I went to use the same brush on the resident cat, she hissed at the brush and wasn't very happy Should I put treats on top of the brush so she can get used to it or should I keep trying to brush her and let her hiss at the brush? Or should I get a different brush? ( They haven't met yet but resident cat knows something is up) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is also advised to swap scents through towels/etc. Have you tried giving resident cat a towel or blanket that has the kitten's scent on it to see if she hisses at that as well?

Is this the resident's usual brush? How does she normally react to being brushed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Earthyscents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is also advised to swap scents through towels/etc. Have you tried giving resident cat a towel or blanket that has the kitten's scent on it to see if she hisses at that as well?

Is this the resident's usual brush? How does she normally react to being brushed?
I have did the scent swap with a t- shirt, she hasn't hissed at that. However when they swapped rooms she sniffed his bed hissed and swatted at it LOL

Yes the brush is the residents usual brush and she loves being brushed with it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have did the scent swap with a t- shirt, she hasn't hissed at that. However when they swapped rooms she sniffed his bed hissed and swatted at it LOL

Yes the brush is the residents usual brush and she loves being brushed with it.
Well, her not hissing at the brush when given treats is a good start, for sure!! Maybe give her treats when you do the room swaps - that is, before she has a chance to swat at his bed!

JoyM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new furry addition.
Cats mainly recognize each other through scent. I have seen mother cats accept new kittens by rubbing some of her litter on them so they smell like her.
I love to do side swapping to help introduce new animals to each other and having them eat on the opposite side of a door so they can smell each other while they eat to get positive association with each other.
When you do finally get comfortable enough to introduce them, I have found that play helps even a grumpy cat be more agreeable to a new kitten.
I have two big boys and I foster. One of the boys adores kittens while the other isn’t fond of them. However, if I have a foster kitten on my lap (which is frequently) and he decides he wants attention, I keep treats on the end table to give him when he is nice to them.
Since he is super food motivated, he has come around. This is him with two of my current fosters.