Share experiences with Siberian Cats

silvias

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like to share experiences and challenges with Siberian cats.

tabithamacinnes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My family have just given a home to a 9 week old Female Siberian Kitten, her name is Tabitha.  We have had her for only 3 days.  She is a gorgeous, extremely affectionate, playful kitten and although only 3 days have gone by she is a delight to have.  We opted for a Siberian because of my wife's allergies and have found that there is no effect at all from her.  The only issue of concern so far is that she has poo'd outside of her litter tray a couple of times, we are following website advice to try and stop the problem, I am not too concerned after just 3 days, after all she has just left her mother, brothers and sisters and travelled to another house which all must be strange to her, I expect this to be stressful and we are giving her lots of love and attention to make up for it.  I believe we will quickly stop this problem.  

That's us, what experiences, tips, advice do other people have on having a Siberian Cat, I would love to know.  

From Tony and Kim Macinnes

Yeovil

Somerset 

England.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silvias

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Tabitha,

where does she live? I always suggest to new kitten owners to have the kitten in a small room, such as the laundry or bathroom (make sure that the room is cat proof - keep the toilet closed!!!), so that she gets used to her small place first before you introduce the rest of the home slowly. You need to keep the litter tray always very clean, make sure that you use the same type of tray and the same litter as the breeder.

Make sure that you clan up all mess immediately. Never put the food and water bowl too close to the litter tray.

I hope, I could help :-)

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi,

My family have just given a home to a 9 week old Female Siberian Kitten
Very beautiful kitten :heart3:

But wow only 9 weeks old and the breeder let you take her home ? Registered pedigree breeders are not suppose to let kittens go to there new homes until they are at least fully vaccinated, which would be 12 weeks old minimum.

9 weeks is very young to be leaving mother cat already. Unless you brought a unregistered kitten with no papers.

But a gorgeous kitten :D

tabithamacinnes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your guidance on this.  I very much respect your advice and am very grateful.  

With regards to the 9 weeks, my kitten is unregistered and doesn't have papers.  I have to say that I have wanted a cat for nearly 30 years but have been unable to due to my wife's allergies,  I did have cats before I met my wife, I wasn't specifically after a pedigree cat.  I discovered recently that I may be able to have a Siberian due to their Hypo Allergenic qualities and set about searching online for advice and breeder information.  I feel that you get very mixed messages on-line to the extent that some breeders are saying 12 weeks like yourself others say as low as 8 weeks and for someone like me that is no expert but simply a cat lover that wants a pet it can be very misleading. The breeder insisted that we took her at 8 weeks old, we took her at 9 weeks, she was the last of the litter of 6 to be taken.  I chose the kitten based on several points, convenience (the breeder was only an hour and a half drive), the fact that she had a kitten we loved and we went by her advice rightly or wrongly.  She was one of several that came up on an online search, certainly the nearest and  was happy for us to do a 'cat sit' to test out my wife's allergy issues.  We paid a price that was comparable with other much further away breeders, the fact that we have no papers is not that important to me, my kitten is.  We are where we are, we have a beautiful kitten, and I am very happy with her.  I will be getting her vaccinated and micro chipped shortly, I want to let her settle in a bit first.  You can be sure that Papers or not she will be very well looked after, is no less important that a cat with papers, will be very loved and we will do everything necessary to give her a super home.  

I deeply respect the views of other owners and welcome any tips, advice or guidance that might be useful to us.  

tabithamacinnes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SilviaS

Thanks for your advice.  I had adopted the small room policy you suggest, time will tell.  The Litter Tray is very clean, I am using the same litter as the breeder but am trying out different depths etc.  The fact that she poo's quite literally 4" away from the litter tray itself but not actually in it suggests that she doesn't like something about the tray itself, doesn't it?