Shall I get Martha spayed?

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
So Ive recently adopted Martha and she's doing really well.
The only thing is she is 2 years old and I'm wondering if I should get her spayed or not. Shes an indoors cat and she's given plenty of love,food and cuddles.
I have booked her into the vet next week to get her spayed but Im now wondering if its just best to leave her how she is. Yes she miaows a lot and can be a bit erratic at timez but shes in no pain and Im worried how she'll be after the operation.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still recommend getting her spayed, yes. There are significant health benefits. Each heat cycle increases the risk of pyometria and reproductive cancers. There's also always the chance she'll get out because cats in heat are escape artists.

I don't think there should be any negative behavioral results, but I do think you'll both be a lot more comfortable. Those hormone surges are no joke.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's best to have her spayed. Female cats who are unspayed later in life tend to develop mammary cancer and reproductive organ problems. It's better to do it now when she's young and healthy rather than to wait until she's 10 years old and needs an emergency spay due to a raging pyometra.

Nothing should change after the operation except that she won't go into heat anymore, which will make her happier. She may need slightly less food (being in heat burns calories, plus sometimes they get so occupied they forget to eat), but that's a small matter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many thanks