Shaking front legs when resting

graywing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Winter is one of the two TNR'd cats we recently brought in due to increasing outdoor dangers lately. I would call him a semi-feral though he does seem to like me pretty well. It's a relationship that's still being worked on and I see improvements all the time. He'll often let me groom and pet him, and I can lift him up for at least a little bit. (Been practicing this a bit at a time for when we get to the vet.)

Winter finally has gotten comfortable enough with me in the room to want to relax for a cat nap, but as soon as he closes his eyes and starts to relax his front legs start to shake. They look almost like spams with the intensity but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. When he wakes up, the legs stop shaking.

I'm kinda panicking about what could be going on. I've been having to save up for them to get a vet visit. My plan was to save up to a certain amount over what was calculated at the vet's office so if there was a surprise additional cost that I could cover it. But if there's something severely wrong I'm not sure how I'd be able to afford it. And since he's semi-feral and only likes me, I don't think it'd be possible to find him a new home that could pay for it. It'd break my heart, too. I'm hoping that somehow it's not something really serious and just something I hadn't seen a cat do before.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it possible he's dreaming when this happens?  Could it be normal cat "running around" in his dreams, or is this more like muscle spasms?   If the latter, could you post a video of it possibly?

Someone might recognize something if they saw it in a video.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graywing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I can't take a video unless I find a smart phone I can borrow. I doubt it's dreaming. It's really as soon as he closes his eyes and starts to look like he's relaxed. I was concerned and touched him and he stopped as soon as he opened his eyes. It happened again a bit later and just tried to touch him so I could see if there was anything to feel regarding it but he opened his eyes immediately again and stopped.

looking for anything that sounds similar, I've found some vague descriptions that sound like it could be the same thing.. Some have said something that it can be normal and the cat is just relaxing, but I've not seen anything like it with another cat before. I've also read other stuff that worries it can be a neurological issue. So I just don't know. If he does it again with me there, I'm tempted to just stay still and let him sleep. I wonder if he goes into a deeper sleep if it'll stop or not.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can find a way to record it, you can show the veterinarian when you take him as well. It's much easier to aid you when they can see what is going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graywing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a very good idea! I'll see if I can do that. Thank you!