Shadow's kittens

shadowkitty2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure my cat is pregnant and there is some yellow discharge coming out of her vagina. She seems normal but I went online and the websites said it could be pyrometra. How can I be sure it is pyrometra or something else? And if it isn't pyrometra, what could it be? ( The discharge isn't pus, its relatively solid and somes out in a sort of string.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You didn't say how far along she might be, but you may find the information you want in one of these articles from our Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, if you aren't comfortable with the yellow string she seems to be passing, the best thing to do would be to take her in for a quick vet check just to be safe.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

View media item 212113How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

If it is pyrometra does the yellow stuff just keep on coming, or does it come and go?
Im no expert on pyometra, but I imagine pyometra keeps on being worse and worse, thus - it would flow and keep to flow.

Also, the temperature should be raised, even a real fever.   So I hope its not pyometra for real, not yet.   But something it is, as they usually dont have longish discharges.  Something  clear watery now and then, it surely happens, but not the whole time.

If unsure, and you cant get an accurate solution online, the only good advice to give is to visit a vet with her.  Cant be helped.

As she isnt very advanced with the pregnancy, you can perhaps even consider a spaying NOW?   You must spay her anyway, unless you are a breeder. So this is the simplest way to cut down the costs.  (many of our forumites tell they cant visit a vet, its too costly)

Also, IF she has pyometra, the vet will prob spay her  as part of the healing.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowkitty2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat went into labor sometime this morning and I woke up to find 3 kittens beside her. Then four, then five. I feel a kitten shaped lump still inside her and its been around forty min. since her last kitten. Should I be worried or should I just leave her be? Also, are 5-6 kittens too many for momma cat to handle? She seems happy, she's nursing the kittens and purring but seems a bit stressed....

siamese mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the new arrivals!

Names...  We are expecting a litter in a few days, and my daughter and I are going with car themes for names.  Bentley, Ranger, Mercedes, Lexus, I have a whole long list we have accumulated.  You're welcome to rip that off!

Or flowers...  Marigold, Dahlia (perfect for black kittens!), Pansy, Juniper, Alfalfa, Parsley, Clove....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

My cat went into labor sometime this morning and I woke up to find 3 kittens beside her. Then four, then five. I feel a kitten shaped lump still inside her and its been around forty min. since her last kitten. Should I be worried or should I just leave her be? Also, are 5-6 kittens too many for momma cat to handle? She seems happy, she's nursing the kittens and purring but seems a bit stressed....
I hope everything went well  with the last too?   Some pauses arent uncommon, as long it isnt active unfruitful labor, or something alike...

6 is many, but usually not too much.    You must of course be sure she gets first rate food,  kitten-food type.   Be prepared for some supplements,  although it is not always necessary.

The heaviest burden is in fact not now, but when they are 4-5 weeks - eathing much from her, but not yet really eating cat food...

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowkitty2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shadow has had 5 healthy (and noisy) baby kittens!!! Three of them have started to open their eyes. They are so cute! I'm a little worried about the runt, because he is missing a bit of fur from his stomach and head but otherwise he is fine. What is the normal time when kittens open their eyes? I just want to know if i should be worried that the other two haven't opened their eyes yet. Also once again, name suggestions would be helpful. They are all black. 4 boys and a girl. 3 have silver on their legs. So adorable!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Good glad to hear it my black dog is named Shadow also! I volunteer at a shelter and black cats are adopted the least.[emoji]128575[/emoji]

Last edited: