Severe Weight Loss

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know about Fatty Liver Disease as I've had cats go thru it before. This time, it just seems different, but maybe I'm not remembering it well (it was a long time ago).
So, this is my parents' cat, but I'm staying here, and am trying to help them. I seem to have taken over (been given) the job of feeding her, as they don't know what to do. Her name is Dusty, she was a stray they've had since a kitten. We guess her age to be ~15. She became overweight early, but she also had undiagnosed diabetes for ~7 years (a bad vet, who never checked). She has some trauma issues and was very ornery, but her mood changed a LOT when she started getting insulin (~8 years ago).
Current issue/s: ~3 months ago, the (new) vet said she had a bad tooth, but didn't think she'd survive surgery/aenesthetic. The vet also felt a lump in her abdomen. The decision was to not do anything for either, because of her age, the diabetes, and she has fairly bad arthritis. (btw, I really don't care for this vet, either.)
So, basically, a canine tooth rotted out of head. And she ate less and less and less. I was already thinking 'Fatty Liver Disease' when the tooth finally fell out. The root on it was rotted. I thought she was very near the end when that happened, but she seemed to sleep better later, and I told/asked my parents to call the vet the following morning (a Friday) and ask if she should take some antibiotics. Apparently, they called but didn't get the message there was a 'scrip waiting for them at the office until they couldn't get there before they closed. I knew none of this, and assumed the vet had said "no" (also based on other things this vet has done and not done). Then...I guess my parents forgot (they're in their 80s).
The day after losing her tooth, Dusty was much brighter. She ate! Not a great deal, but she'd basically been eating nothing.
But that didn't last, and the next day, she began to go downhill again. During all this, Dusty would get very excited when she thought someone was getting food for her. She always looked at what was put down (until the few days of "she's almost done" that occurred twice). Often, she didn't eat right away, but would eat later (weird thing I possibly don't remember from past Fatty Liver issue--#1). She pretty much continued to eat her hard food (weird thing #2). Most new foods got eaten--at some point, if left out (not weird).
Anyway, she continued to decline AGAIN, and always begged me for food. It felt like she was trying to tell me something, and I just wasn't getting it. I kept thinking "antibiotics," but didn't know how to get any, and don't know of any "alternatives". I knew she was in pain from her tooth, the infection, the arthritis, and just being so damn hungry. I tried to give her a tiny bit of Gabapentin, but most times she seemed to know it was mixed in. A couple times she got a little bit, but it didn't seem to help much (I was scared to give too much). Also, Mom always does the insulin, and she tried to adjust it as weight decreased, but eventually I found out that sometimes Dusty wasn't getting any (she would get it twice a day, normally, but sometimes she only got it once). We'd been told that Dusty HAD to eat when she got the Insulin, so when she wasn't eating much, we didn't know what to do.
I finally decided that: Dusty had multiple issues--her tooth was sore, she had a raging infection, and she ALSO had Fatty Liver disease. The tooth was out, the vet had said she didn't need antibiotics (I thought), and she was feeling better, but still needed help to eat again. Mom agreed to help me force-feed her for 2-3 days. I thought that would be long enough to know if it would help or not. She agreed and I fed her twice that night (not much--from a syringe w/out markings). The thing I noticed is that I would squirt some at the back of her mouth, and then have to wait while she struggled to get it down. So I added "trouble swallowing" to the list of issues. My mom fed her a few times the next day (we have reversed wake/sleep schedules), and then told me she wasn't going to do it any more. Dusty fought her too much, and she had too much trouble getting it down. I agreed.
More days pass, and I finally chatted with a vet through Chewy. That vet said Dusty likely had a terrible infection, and when her tooth fell out, a lot of that infection rushed into her mouth, and her throat also became infected (and swollen and sore, hence the swallowing difficulties). She recommended taking her in the next day so Dusty could get a big dose of antibiotics, get some IV fluid, and they could check her insulin and help get that back where it should be. I seriously thought Dusty might not make it through the night, and the online vet suggested I take her to a 24-hour place. I offered to take her that night but my parents said no, and it was also then that I learned of the 'missed' antibiotics.
Now I thought that, one way or another, Dusty's suffering would end the next day. But...I underestimate the creativity of the negative forces of the universe. My parents called their vet the next day, and she said she didn't have time to see Dusty that day, unless they wanted her 'put down.' But she did say there'd be an antibiotic waiting at the office, if they chose that. They DID pick it up, and started the antibiotics that afternoon. 10 days after she should have had them (or much longer if she should have had them when the rotted/rotting tooth was first noticed).
Again, Dusty was much better for a day and a half. More energy; started eating again. No longer having trouble drinking (which had seemed to have started). But...now she's declining again.
My question/s: Do I give up? I didn't before (and suggested the force-feeding, then antibiotics again) because Dusty hadn't (not until that last day when I thought she might not make it thru the night). I don't know that she's given up again now, but...she's damn worn out. My parents were pretty much ready to 'end her suffering' when I brought up the antibiotics again. I "pushed" that option (even though I questioned myself because I don't want to prolong her suffering either), but I thought Dusty would get fluids, a big initial dose of antibiotics, and her insulin checked/balanced, which might have made her feel so much better, and helped her fight through it all. But that didn't happen. Thoughts?
SORRY this is so long!!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would look for a different vet, too. Anytime my cats are in for any problems related to eating, drinking, or going to the bathroom the first thing they get is fluids and it's surprising this wasn't done. I would have a hard time giving up just yet since she seemed to be improving so well for a few days. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the delay. I do drive, and having her seen by a different vet was one reason I offered to take her to the local 24-hour animal hospital. I highly doubt they would switch vets right now. As bad as this might sound, I might have better luck getting them to switch if she somehow comes thru this. When I got "my" girl in to see a vet, I made sure to pick a different vet and even office.
One 'problem' in all this is that...well, my family no longer thinks I'm competent, I guess. So, while they'll listen to me, they seem to rarely hear me. And my ideas, opinions are disregarded. It's why I was surprised when I got up that Friday and found that they HAD called the vet. (Then learned what she had said/done.)

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now, Dusty's laying on a little blanket I put on the floor in the bedroom for her. I hear her 'ticking' her way down the hall (the vet never trims her nails when she's in, even though she knows it's difficult for my parents to do). There's probably some pee in this bathroom for me to clean up, too. Dusty got too exhausted to walk all the way to the other end of the house to her litterbox, and I had a paper towel on the floor in the bathroom, so you know what happened... It's tile/linoleum, so now I put down puppy pads for her and simply clean it up each time. She doesn't/hasn't pooped there yet. But she doesn't poop much at all any more.
Anyway, she first looked for some catnip. I have some Yeoww that I'll give her plenty of. She eats a lot of it, and I assume it helps dull the pain. Then she looked at her water. (Bowl wiped out and fresh water every day.) Then she wandered over to the food bowls and, surprisingly, she 'ate' a bit of the soft food. Mostly she licked it, I guess. I put that out at 5-ish,and she looked at it, but didn't eat any at that time.
She's so thin and worn out. The change from Saturday to today is pretty drastic again. She sometimes just lays or sits and stares at...nothing.
I guess my question is -- do I force-feed her again, now that she's had a few days of antibiotics and seems to be able to swallow better? If I do, I'll be the only one doing it, and I'll have to do it 'on the sly.'
The antibiotic is Umbrellin_Clavamox 62.5mg per 1.5ml. She's to get 1ml every 12 hours for 10 days.
Oh--I just noticed. I'd given her some Temptations treats (broken in half). She ate some but left some, and more of them are gone now. She just got up again and drank a bit of water. I recorded it but don't know if it's okay/optimized to put here. She's not yet having as much trouble getting up and down as she was before the antibiotics. (which I know...believe...is the arthritis--pain management something to be more fully addressed if she lives thru this).

Last edited:

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started thinking last night that I should just give up. Dusty kinda seemed like she had, and I can't do it all on my own--against a vet, and my parents. And Dusty is hardly eating anything again. And yet..she still tries. I opened a jar of baby food, which she ate a couple weeks ago, but then completely stopped. She went to see what I'd put down, and immediately started eating it. It was ~1/3 of the jar, and the time she spent licking--well, 3 months ago, the bowl would have been absolutely clean. This time, there was only a bit gone. And then she spend a long time trying to get it down, or get it out of her mouth. Something. I can't quite tell what the problem is. But, again, it seems like she WANTS to eat but physically it's so hard for her that it has to be something that really excites her appetite. Or, from a few weeks ago, when she'd check out the new food and walk away, but come back hours later and eat most of what was in the bowl, does she have to reach a certain level of desperate hungriness before she can manage it?? (And that ended, too--where she couldn't get it down at all, no matter how hungry.)
I just can't figure this out!! Why did she start the antibiotics and immediately begin eating food and getting it down, and now, 4 days later, she can't physically do it?? Oh, she also meowed at me a couple hours ago when I looked in at her. Now, she's always "talked" to us, but a lot of the time, no sound comes out. It used to, and I'm trying to remember how far back it was when she seemed to 'lose her voice'. Specifically, was it when the tooth started to get bad? She also meowed, with sound, one day recently. I commented on it to my Mom, who was also surprised. I'm trying to remember if it was the 'good day' she had after the tooth came out.
I don't understand! She's still fighting, but I can't figure out how to help her!
Can I get her to another vet for a second opinion? Doubtful. I'd say there's a 30% chance. I do have a disability that would make it difficult (but I'd do it), and I don't actually have any money (but I have a charge card with some room on it). Would any vet even see her if they couldn't also see her records?
And the big question/obstacle is--what is that damn lump in her abdomen? THAT'S why my parents aren't making more effort. They think she's dying anyway. The vet told them she thinks Dusty isn't eating, and has trouble swallowing, because of that mass (rather than because of infection and/or pain). I told them that the infection could have CAUSED the mass (which isn't necessarily the greatest thing either, if it would need to be surgically removed).

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's a type of anaerobic infection? I read this PetMD article last week. Is it that she got an infected tooth, that wasn't treated so it spread into her gums (or maybe even further), and then caused an infection in her abdomen? Then it would depend on how many tissues/organs it's spread to, and how deeply? Which would mean, at this point, she's still fighting but she really doesn't have a chance because that infection was allowed to spread and fester and establish itself for months without treatment? SHOULD this vet have at least put Dusty on antibiotics when she discovered the tooth, rather than just saying, "It's doubtful she'll survive the surgery to remove it" and sending Dusty home that way?? (Is there a website where one can look up a vet to see if there are complaints or sanctions against them?)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just read through all your above posts, and though I can't advise on any of Dusty's symptoms, I get the feeling that Dusty hasn't given up yet. So if possible, try to convince your parents to let you (or one of them) take Dusty to a different vet. If they agree, then hopefully they'll pay. You can use the excuse that her regular vet can't fit her in. Then call all the vets around town and see if someone has an opening.

Although having Dusty's records could help the new vet, I'm sure vets often see pets where they don't have the health history. Might actually be better, since the new vet would be looking at Dusty's issues without a preformed opinion. Just make sure you, or your parents, take notes with you on the meds Dusty is taking, current issues, etc.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So if possible, try to convince your parents to let you (or one of them) take Dusty to a different vet. If they agree, then hopefully they'll pay. You can use the excuse that her regular vet can't fit her in. Then call all the vets around town and see if someone has an opening.
Might actually be better, since the new vet would be looking at Dusty's issues without a preformed opinion.
Absolutely, I 100% agree with this.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you or your parents check (by pricking her ear) her levels before administering the insulin? Is she getting any insulin at all anymore? This could be the issue since she has diabetes. If she isn't getting the correct dose, it can throw everything off. Could explain a lot of how she is acting, although would NOT explain the lump in her abdomen. If nothing else, I firmly believe she needs to be SEEN by a Vet, not just a phone call at this point. Maybe, as mentioned above, you can convince your parents to go to another Vet since their regular Vet doesn't have time. But I would think she needs bloodword done to check for infections and look at her liver values (for fatty liver) and definitely needs to be checked for insulin amount to be given, plus she could have more teeth issues.

Can you share this thread with your parents where all of us to are saying we think she needs another Vet since they don't really listen to you? And, really, it would be preferable if that other Vet were at a different practice, again, so there is no preformed opinion.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you share this thread with your parents where all of us to are saying we think she needs another Vet since they don't really listen to you? And, really, it would be preferable if that other Vet were at a different practice, again, so there is no preformed opinion.
:yeah: :agree:

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, everyone. I tried. I really tried and pushed as hard as I could (w/out them shutting me down). But they're not going to do anything more. Either this dose of antibiotics really kicks in and helps her soon, or they'll have her 'put down.' I've failed Dusty, too. She'll be the 7th cat in the family that's died in the last 3 years. All since moving to this area. Well, not Duncan, who lived here for quite awhile.
THANK YOU ALL so much! I know it was a lot to read and I greatly appreciate that you all took the time.
I was here years ago and got a lot of help then, too. I recognize some of the same names. Your devotion and kindness is amazing.
In fact, I wonder if I can ask for advice about me...a lot has happened TO me since moving to this area (to be closer to family, believe it or not), and I can't find any help or resources here. Where I lived before, I knew who to contact and I had friends and resources. Nothing here. And, according to my family, everything that's happened has been my fault. So they help in their own ways, but there's always an undercurrent. I'm in the Charlotte, NC area.

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh-MrsGreenJeens - No. I looked into it 12-18 months ago, because it just didn't seem like having the vet check it once a year could be right. Read about it...how to do it...price of meters...etc. Brought it up to my parents. Offered to do it (the pricking/checking). They said no. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you able to seek employment? That would give you some financial independence, as well as an opportunity to meet new people and find new friends and resources. One thing leads to another over time.

colbey colbey

Last edited:

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read more last night, and Dusty could have Stomatitis, Periodontal Disease, Tooth Resorption, or an Anaerobic Bacterial infection. ALL of which the vet should have caught long ago, and offered treatment for. She's been dropping food out of her mouth while eating for a long time. That's a symptom of different diseases, but we just thought it was something about how her mouth and teeth were so it was never mentioned. But a good vet should have seen something in a quick mouth exam and asked some questions. I'm so angry. Dusty never should have gone through these months of suffering.
So...she was a bit worse last night. The antibiotics don't seem to be helping, and it must be painful to even have them forced into her mouth. I watched mom give it to her, and she did it in 2 squirts, very quickly, but with a little time for the first half to get down so it wasn't so hard. She sleeps most of the day somewhere out of sight, but during the night, she comes to my bedroom. I think because she knows I will always give her a treat (or catnip), and, lately, I always offer her food. She came a couple times last night, and I put down different foods, but she simply couldn't get in more than a couple bites or licks. She drank a small amount. Eventually, she went and laid in the 3rd bedroom. But popped her head up in excited expectation when I looked in. She didn't pee in 'my' bathroom all night, and this morning I told my mom if she hadn't peed back in her litter box either, it likely meant her kidneys had failed or were failing. I said, "You think she's comfortable, but she's really not. She used to sleep in her bed in the living room, but now hides away from everyone because she feels so bad." I also said I thought it was time to 'help her.' Yes, she's still fighting (excited when I offer food), but then she has to painfully get back down when she can't eat. I can't stand the disappointment and suffering. I said the vet should have spotted something over the past year, and asked questions, offered possibilities, and told them how they could help Dusty while help was still possible. She agreed, and said she'd been hoping that Dusty would have just died gently at home, but now knew that she couldn't. Or that it would take too long/be too painful. I said they should just give the vet her last bit of money she can get for this patient and let Dusty stop suffering. I'm pretty sure I heard mom make an appointment for tomorrow morning. Now I'm so sad and sitting her typing and crying.

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other stuff:
I'm on disability. I"d hoped to try a part-time job again after moving and getting settled here. And Covid hit in my first year, so I haven't been able to do anything to meet people/make friends. There's people in my parents (and now mine) mobile home park, but all of them have been 'warned' that I'm mentally ill, so...it's hard to connect with people and have them get to know me. (I have severe, treatment-resistant OCD. I'd learned how to manage/live with it but then I got a severe TBI while out on a bike ride. There's something messed up with some sort of executive functioning now, so it's hard for me to start & finish things. I don't know what it is, and haven't yet found any help or treatment for it.)
I moved into a mobile home that was my "sister-in-laws" (they weren't married). I thought she was a friend, too. But there was mold in the home and she refused to remediate it and ended my lease at the end of the year w/out talking to me. Then stole my security deposit. She did all that even though she knew there was very little housing here, and nothing for those with a housing voucher. I couldn't find anything and lost the voucher. My parents bought me a mobile home here (used my "inheritance"), but my sisters decided one with multiple warning signs of mold was good enough. (Granted, money was limited.) Turns out--there's mold.
Right now what I mostly need is legal help, because I want to go to Small Claims to get my security deposit back, and that deadline is fast approaching. Small Claims shouldn't need a lawyer, but there's specific questions I can't find answers to. And I know my SIL will 'come at' me. She has some weird, pathological thing about money (it's why she decided my health wasn't worth a couple thousand dollars to clean up the mold). The problem with the local facebook group, and places like NextDoor, is I can't ask about a lot of things because my family is on those sites, too. (And I have tried to find free legal help here, and keep coming up empty.)

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 - yup. It happened just over the border in S. Carolina, so I checked with Legal Aids in both states, and any other groups/orgs around. I know--it's really weird!. In Wisconsin, you call them and if you qualify they help you. Doesn't seem to work like that here.
But thank you for trying. That alone is very valuable.