Severe Skin Allergies Improved Not Fully

Kbschmi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor Thomas has been through a lot since May. They discontinued his dry food. I started using a new litter (unscented tidy cats) and we started going outside for spring.

He breaks out in dry pusstules (though I never see puss just red pimple like lumps) which he scratches and licks excessively. He has set in 2 major infections after it becomes large areas of weeping dermatitis he chews at and licks. It is very painful for him. He has also had a swollen shut eye at one point and an ear infection... not to mention he became full body swelling that the vet initially labeled as weight gain from new food. He also groomed off over 50% of his belly hair and inner thighs to the skin ... as well as 30% of his front legs and there is a bald patch the size of my fist on his side. All these places developed bumps and he has groomed them bald... additionally he had a spot on his ear that went bald too for no apparent reason.

We have ruled out fleas and flea reaction (though since I use a good preventative from vet, it was never on my list)... I've returned to my old litter and we have begun a food trial.

We are 6 weeks into Royal Canin HP along with Hills z/d wet and hypo treats. Hills was no producing their dry z/d at the time we started.

His swollen weight has resolved. He no longer bothers the spots so much they become weeping infected messes. Much of his body is regrowing hair, but a few (more prone to bump) areas remain shorter than the rest of regrowth.

However he still has bumps. There are no longer dozens and clusters of bumps at any time... but they seem itchy. His side bald patch was making great regrowth of hair, but now we've got a newly pulled area.... with a bump and some flaky skin. He also typically has one or two bumps on his lower belly/groin, has allowed some hair to grow there but its obviously shorter.

We no longer (usually) have clusters. He had 3 show up at once last week in one spot, but it healed right up.

He is improving. However hes not completely better. Many things suggest 6 weeks is the point you would know. Some other things say up to 12 weeks.

My vet said 6-8. If that didnt help we would need to try a different food by royal canine, ultomino or something like that. But there is no wet food, and I refuse to cut that out completely. I feel bad enough hes only gets 1/3 of a lg can of the z/d daily (unfortunately at $3 a can I cant afford more)... he used to get a whole smaller fancy feast daily about double what he now gets) and I know he misses it.

We started Nov 2nd.

I'm looking for timeframe insight. I'm not quite ready to try the other type of food because there is no wet and beyond cost it's not ok health wise on my opinion to remove wet food.

Theres I suppose still a chance its cat litter or environmental. However I am severely allergic to most scents and fragrances, so I have no added or changed anything. I'm brand specific from toothpaste and deodorant to shampoo and dish soap.

Thanks for reading this novel. :)

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
According to @LTS3 's vet the newest research shows that it can take up to 13 weeks for some cats to show an improvement on a hypoallergenic diet. It does sound like your cat is improving on his current diet so I would stick with it for the full duration of the trial.

There is also another company called Rayne in Canada that makes hypoallergenic novel protein RX diets. They have cans of rabbit and kangaroo that you could look into with your vet. The cans are more expensive than the Z/D though, so that might not be an option for you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kbschmi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's good news. Thank you.