Severe Abscess with deep open wound on top, pus staying in bag on the neck below ear

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, so this stray male cat ocassionally visited us for food, but recently he wasn't here for a month and yesterday and also today he came and has deep open wound behind his ear on the top and swollen bag underneath. it\s obvious the hole been there for longer that it's supposed to be as it is not healing and pus staying inside (nowhere to go as hole is on top) called veterinarian but he said only antibiotics. so my question is, does it make sense to make a small hole on the bottom with shaving blade? I am not comfortable doing it, but there is no other choice and there is nobody else taking care of him and he lives in the wild outside of small parish. I know people telling taking him to the vet, but there is no option to do that, so don't suggest it.
I was cleaning it with warm water and it seemed little comforting for him but also painful. I am assessing whether small hole (not sure how to do that though would help make the pus to leak better, because when the hole is on top, pus is staying there...if it makes sense. I seen only youtube videos dealing with it, since veterinarian wasn't too concerned on the phone

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry, but I have to ask why an ER vet isn't an option? The abscess needs to be taken care of, along with antibiotics, and you do not have the proper tools, or training, to do that without possibly making it worse. Not to mention to drain an abscess is going to require - at a minimum - some numbing solution in the area to help with the pain. If not an ER vet, what about contacting some rescue centers to see if they have vet recommendations. This cat needs help you cannot possibly properly give him.

Maybe there will be someone else who will come along and have some suggestions for you more along the lines of what you are looking for...

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, so this stray male cat ocassionally visited us for food, but recently he wasn't here for a month and yesterday and also today he came and has deep open wound behind his ear on the top and swollen bag underneath. it\s obvious the hole been there for longer that it's supposed to be as it is not healing and pus staying inside (nowhere to go as hole is on top) called veterinarian but he said only antibiotics. so my question is, does it make sense to make a small hole on the bottom with shaving blade? I am not comfortable doing it, but there is no other choice and there is nobody else taking care of him and he lives in the wild outside of small parish. I know people telling taking him to the vet, but there is no option to do that, so don't suggest it.
I was cleaning it with warm water and it seemed little comforting for him but also painful. I am assessing whether small hole (not sure how to do that though would help make the pus to leak better, because when the hole is on top, pus is staying there...if it makes sense. I seen only youtube videos dealing with it, since veterinarian wasn't too concerned on the phone
Once the infection is gone then his body will be able to clear it out on it's own. The risk of making an incision or hole to drain the pus, aside from causing pain, would be the risk of a secondary infection.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem with abscesses that aren't drained/treated quickly, they tend to rot/kill the related tissue. The rotted/dead tissue needs to be debrided in order to stop the erosion - and infection - from continuing. No antibiotic alone will stop that process once it has started.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi sickmomcat and a belated welcome to the forum !

There are organizations almost everywhere dedicated to rescuing cats, especially in situations like this. Some are large and well-known, while others operate under most folks' 'radar'.

If you would post your general location (city & state), we could have a 'look around' on your behalf and see what might be possible..