Several questions

AEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to this group. Let me know if I am not following rules.
One year old cat had 3 kittens last night. 2 are doing well, the smallest one is struggling and the the mom seems to ignore it, lay on it, step on it...etc. Not sure what to do. Second question. The mom has never been a cuddly , warm cat and now she is SO needy, almost to the point of being aggressive and wanting to be held and pet. If I am in the room, she doesnt pay any attention to the kittens. Last question. The mom' sister cat is way too interested in the kittens, wanting to get in the box with them. I have moved her out of the room and the 2 sisters are calling to each other. I am so out of my element here. Any advice would be appreciated !!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Is the tiniest one able to latch on at all? It may need a little honey rubbed on it's gums to help, and you may need to take over feeding it.

Give mom extra food, kitten glop, homemade Pedialyte, and see if Cat Music will help the two sisters calm down.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The mom is probably trying to tell you there is something wrong with that third kitten - nature's way. If you are able to handle taking care of a kitten like this, remove it from the mom and try to nurture it on your own. If you need help here from that perspective, tell us.

A lot of cats get 'needy' after birth - hormones. You might let the sister cat into the area- under your observation - just to see what happens. If the two cats are really close, the sister cat could actually help the mom in terms of calming her down and helping to take care of the kittens.

A couple of 'experts' in this area - Sarthur2 Sarthur2 & StefanZ StefanZ might also offer some more beneficial tips when they check in on this site. There are also other members than can help when they see this thread,

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am new to this group. Let me know if I am not following rules.
One year old cat had 3 kittens last night. 2 are doing well, the smallest one is struggling and the the mom seems to ignore it, lay on it, step on it...etc. Not sure what to do. Second question. The mom has never been a cuddly , warm cat and now she is SO needy, almost to the point of being aggressive and wanting to be held and pet. If I am in the room, she doesnt pay any attention to the kittens. Last question. The mom' sister cat is way too interested in the kittens, wanting to get in the box with them. I have moved her out of the room and the 2 sisters are calling to each other. I am so out of my element here. Any advice would be appreciated !!
I agree with the others. If the sisters are good friends, you can let sis in. Do observe at first, but with any luck it will help.

And yeah, the tiniest you may be best YOU take over the charge, and handraise. Lotsa work, but its doable. It happens often a weak one, whom is a goner left to himself; is saved be a willing caretaker, and grow up into a big, healthy cat...

But with a little luck perhaps the sister stepping in may help up the situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OH MY..alot has happened since I posted! Worked with the runt and mom last night, things seemed better. Mom was still SO agitated. This morning I went in and there were 2 more kittens!! Almost 24 hours after the first one. Of the two new ones, one had died , they are both the largest of all the kittens. Is this all common?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have a lot of experience, but the last pregnant cat I dealt with had just one baby and then 24 hours later she had two more and one of them was stillborn. So, I tend to think it is pretty common. At least now you know that her agitation was likely due to waiting for the other babies to come!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
so far its nursing, trying to keep an eye on the bigger ones bumping it out of the way
Weigh them every day; the runt twice a day. Till you know he add steadily 10+ grammes a day.
IF so, you will know he gets enough.

IF its below 6 grammes a day, you must step in immediately.

Its not unusual weak kittens they seems to nurse, but are too weak to really get much... In such cases it helps often with some supplementing and or, the care taker handfeed 100% a couple of days. Later on, with any luck, the kittens becomes strong enough to nurse himself.

Experienced rescuers usually notice this; but for all less experienced, the easiest way to notice such problems, is to weight them every day.

Last edited: