Serum Therapy for Neonatal Panleukopenia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any experience with using serum from a naturally immune (panleuk survivor) donor cat to help a cat or kitten recover from the disease.

We received a DOA mama and three living neonates a few days ago. The cause of the queen’s death was unknown, but she had stopped eating and had gone unresponsive. I did a very basic quick necropsy on the DOA queen to check for a retained placenta/kitten (nothing there), and also collected stomach fluid to test for panleuk. The test came back as a very strong positive. Babies are now positive as well, of course. Mama was young and had no FPV antibodies to pass along in her colostrum. The are the youngest panleuk kittens I’ve seen, coming down with symptoms at 8-10 days of age.

The babies are in a brooder in quarantine. They developed symptoms on Sunday night and one passed within 12hrs.

We are working hard to get these two through it and have been giving SubQ cerenia and vitamin B injections, plus baytril and also a miniscule amount of pet-tinic by mouth daily. Every two hours we are giving 2ml warmed SubQ LRS, tube feeding formula, and taking temps/weighing.

We took a panleuk survivor from a couple years ago into the vet this morning for a blood draw, and to spin her blood down to its components. It yielded 1ml of serum.

Has anyone used serum to speed the body’s recovery? Studies indicate that it’s used in dogs for CPV (parvo), and that it can be used in colostrum-deprived neonatal kittens to boost their immune system to an equal level as kittens who did receive colostrum.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but it sounds plausible! Poor little mites.....I have three leukemia survivors myself, they are going on surviving the disease 4 years now, but were older when they got it. Or diagnosed anyway, they could have got it from their mother who I still have too. They are now 10 years old. i will pray for your little ones. what a rough start! As long as they are fed, hydrated, and kept warm, they have a chance!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Mod Note:
Unfortunately these little ones didn't make it.
Out of respect, we'll lock the thread.

RIP

.:rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.