Seriously Contemplating Getting A Second Cat

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even though I've had a long history of owning cats since childhood, they've all been solo cats.
However, now I'm considering getting a second cat as a companion to my current cat and it seems it would be nice to have another cat around the house.
Now I am aware of taking the baby steps approach when introducing cats to each other.
Specifically my concern in my case has to do with my cat's personality.
My resident cat Cali is a 10 month old spayed female (most likely will be an adult by the time I get around to getting another cat). She was adopted in late August at 13 weeks old.
The issue is that Cali has always been quite shy/timid. Some background: My sister is the one who actually picked her out since she lives closer to the place from where Cali was adopted. She was adopted from a person who fosters cats that supposedly she rescues from kill shelters. While my sister was observing the cats, most of them were at the front of their cages putting out their paws as if to say "pick me, pick me"-not Cali. Instead she was cowering at the back of the cage. My sister wasn't sure if she didn't get along with the other kittens in the cage or if she was just afraid of the people visiting. Even the woman's husband quipped how he thought she would never get adopted. In the end my sister ended up choosing Cali.
When she was brought to my house, she was placed in a spare bedroom. Immediately, once released from her carrier she went and hid under the bed. If I was lucky enough to enter the room when she was out in the open, she would immediately make a dash for it under the bed or dresser. It took nearly two whole weeks for her to completely warm up to me. Now she's a different cat with me. She'll follow me around the house, sit on my lap, and jump on my bed during the middle of the night. However, she is still leery of other people. Even my sister who comes over a couple of times a week, she's still cautious around her.
Total strangers coming into the house such as a service or repair person will send her scurrying under the bed for cover until the coast is clear.
Now I'm not sure what her attitude would be to other cats. I'm sure at this point she has no recollection of her mates from where she was adopted. Even though she likes to look at the windows, I don't think another cat has walked by the front of the house or through the back yard. At least that I've never seen. I would say the closest she's ever come to other cats is during the visit to the vets where I'm sure she's picked up their scent and heard them meowing. Though being confined to her carrier I don't think she's actually seen them.
Sorry for being so long winded, I just wanted to give you all an overall picture of my cat's personality.
Now I get to the part where I ask about the second cat I should adopt.
Age: I'm thinking of adopting a younger kitten in the 8-12 week age. I figure that a cat that's younger and smaller than Cali would be less threatening and intimidating. Conversely my concern is that the smaller kitten might be ask risk of being hurt by Cali either through rough play or outright aggressiveness. Would I be better off getting a cat similar in age to Cali.
Gender: Does it matter? Regardless, if not done already at the time of adoption, it will be desexed when the time is appropriate.
Personality: Since as I mentioned before, Cali is very timid, would I be better off getting a cat that's also timid or am I better off getting a more outgoing cat to bring Cali out of her shell?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do like multiple cats :) I think its good for them to have a companion. Normally i think cats with the same temperament get along better. An outgoing cat might bring her out of her shell a little, but it might also just frighten and overwhelm her. Another little timid cat might be easier for her?

I have brought kittens in with my adult cats, and all of mine have took them under their wing and babied the kitten. I haven't had a problem with them hurting the kitten.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love having multiple cats. I don't see any problem getting a young kitten or even a cat that might be a bit older. I think a second cat could really be helpful for your timid cat.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yue is a princess. When she moved in, she stayed in my closet for three days before we really ever saw her. When people came over, she was either in the guinea pig pen in their hammock or igloo, or she was hanging out inside the reclining loveseat. She got a little larger, and started smacking my shihtzu upside the head.
Do you need your own cat?
So, I got the most self confident easy going tom cat I could find. He was a stray that was neutered just two days before I adopted him. He has so much personality. He ended up being maybe 2 months younger than Yue.
Tom took over the entire apartment. Everything was cool to him. He took his time surveying the entire house.
Yue kept hissing at him. He said "hey, what's up?" and kept walking around the unit. She didn't bother him. He even ended up picking out the dog to be his sister.
Yue got along with him without anyone hurting anyone and talking about cat stuff, but she knew it was my fault so she started pooping on my bed until I put a baby gate up in my doorway. Tom would jump it, and she would not. Two weeks later I took the baby gate down. They're great. They turn 9 this year.
The princess and the social extrovert.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've discovered that cats can respond one way to people and completely differently to other cats. Saipha, for example, is scared to death of new people, but bonded to Mishka (a kitten when I introduced her). Of course, there was some hissing at first, but now they're best friends.

My old roommate's cat, on the the other hand, loved people. He would be the first to greet new people and insist on sitting on their laps. But he was extremely timid and shy with other cats, even running away from kittens. He would always end up bullied, so he needed to be a solo cat.

So her timidity with people doesn't tell you much about how she'll respond to another cat. Because she's ten months, I would recommend another cat her age or younger. A kitten is a pretty safe bet because he/she will be less threatening, and Cali is young enough to keep up with the kitten's energy level. Saipha was almost two years old when I introduced Mishka to her, and she acted as a surrogate mother at first and then later as a playmate once Mishka grew up. She taught Mishka excellent manners too - I never had to train Mishka not to bite or claw hands. :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a very shy little cat who I adopted at 4 months old and she was shy her entire life. When she was a little over two years old, a friend told me that 2 kittens had been abandoned in an apartment when the renter moved out and left them. He was taking one and asked if I wanted the other kitten. I went over to look and the kitten hugged my neck, rubbed all over me, let me flip him on his back and rub his belly...purring the whole time. Of course, I took him.

Tess never came out of her shell, and Maslow became one of my two all-time favorite cats. Sociable with everyone, loving, and gentle. They got along fine, though Tess never did become a confident cat. She didn't seem to care either way about being alone or having another cat in the apartment. I loved her for the sweet little timid cat she was...and I'd say I got Maslow for myself. It was a good decision.

flamesabers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's difficult to precisely predict what sort of cat will be an ideal companion for Cali. I think the most you can do is to slowly introduce them slowly to each other and avoid adopting a cat that has an obvious personality clash with Cali's.

You may not want to get a lap cat, especially if you think Cali will not be keen on sharing your lap with another cat.

As far as adopting a timid vs. outgoing cat, it could work out either way.

humanracer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hijack your thread but I have been thinking the same thing. Our cat had a brother who died a few months ago. He is 2 years old and thinking about getting another one. I think you have weight up the pros and cons. For instance for me,
Cons:
Additional expensive and time (an extra litter tray to buy and clean if indoor cat, more cat food etc)
No guarantee that it will work. The site I read said "he majority of cats are hostile to other unrelated felines, and there is certainly no guarantee that your cat will thank you for its new playmate."
Can cause stress for cat. This was one of the reasons why my cat passed away.

Pros
Someone to play with
At least in the case of my cat he seems to be fine with other cats. When he saw other cats in the garden he carefully approached them without hissing. I think he wanted to be their friend although they were more defensive and ended up retreating.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would definitely say GO FOR IT :hyper::yess:
As far as what kind of personality I agree with some of the other comments above that cats react to other cats different than they would humans.
For example, my first cat Stella is just a little social butterfly. She loves attention from people and is very chatty and has always been that way. I decided to get her a friend because I truly felt bad leaving her at home when I was at work all day. So in comes Toby. Toby was a very shy cat..the only way I first made friends with him was through food (although now he follows me everywhere and sleeps on my chest at night). He was shy with humans but when it came to Stella her hissing and growling did not phase him at all. It was almost as he knew she was all hiss no bite :lol:. After about a week Stella realized Toby wasn't going anywhere and so she decided it was not so bad having someone to chase around and pounce on when she felt like it, and Toby being a laid back dude just takes it and lets her do it LOL.
I forgot to mention Stella was 5 months old when I got Toby and Toby was 11 weeks old. But if you have a girl I might suggest a boy possibly and as far as personality I think a laid back cat with some playful spunk might bring your kitty out of her shell and show her theres nothing to be scared of