Serious Help With Preventing Feline Herpes In My Cats!

CrazyCatLady86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am moving back into a rental I had rented out for a few years to a friend (not very close). I just found out that all of her cats contracted herpes after she had adopted her last cat. He unknowingly brought herpes into the household and infected her cats. What do I need to do to prevent my cats getting herpes moving back into the house? I am so worried I cant even tell you how much and I am second guessing moving back into that house at all.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Unlike other diseases like feline panleukopenia, feline herpes stays in the environment for a fairly short time. Bleach is the best cleaning agent, so cover surfaces with a bleach solution and let it sit for about 5 minutes before cleaning it off. You can clean upholstered furniture with upholstery shampoo. Hopefully some other posters will have some ideas too!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your cats up to date on their vaccinations? The FVRCP Distemper vaccine includes the herpes vaccine. Some people say it's not 100%, but at least it will give some protection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrazyCatLady86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unlike other diseases like feline panleukopenia, feline herpes stays in the environment for a fairly short time. Bleach is the best cleaning agent, so cover surfaces with a bleach solution and let it sit for about 5 minutes before cleaning it off. You can clean upholstered furniture with upholstery shampoo. Hopefully some other posters will have some ideas too!
Great. It is all tile as well so there is that... I do love a bit of bleach as well! Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrazyCatLady86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are your cats up to date on their vaccinations? The FVRCP Distemper vaccine includes the herpes vaccine. Some people say it's not 100%, but at least it will give some protection.
Yes they are vaccinated but knowing its not a for sure protection against it worries me. You would think someone smart would come up with a true feline herpes cure. They would sure make a fortune! We can only pray and wait! So many babies suffer every year.