Serious Cat Allergies! Please Help!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok here's the deal. My husband and I have separated (working on the divorce), and I have an amazing new boyfriend named Jason! Unfortunately, the wonderful new man is SERIOUSLY allergic to cats.

I took the boys down to my Dad's house while I was moving and getting settled down after the split up, and they have been there since July. I am planning to go get them now that I am settled down and working again, I expect to pick them up on my trip to Atlanta at Christmas. We need to find a solution for my bf by then, so we can all cohabit and survive!

As I said, Jason is really really allergic to cats. When he first came to stay at my apartment he was having allergy symptoms (mostly severe skin itching and nasal drainage) and the cats haven't even been in the apartment yet and I had been living here for over a month, he was reacting just based on their hair being on my stuff. Even now if I pull out a piece of clothing that from storage or something that hasn't been washed he will react.

I need some suggestions on what we can do to help Jason survive here with two cats! Its a 1 bedroom apartment with just a bedroom, bathroom (off the bedroom), kitchen and living room. Its not really going to be possible with this floor plan to lock the boys out of the bedroom, which I know would be best, plus Jason spends all day in the living room area. We plan to get a bigger place in a few months, but I don't want to wait to get my boys back until then.

Jason is going to the doctor Wednesday, and is willing to go see an allergist if necessary. Right now he is taking Claritin daily and Benadryl usually every day when he starts getting itchy. I've found washing laundry on the hottest cycle possible and very frequently helps, but does not eliminate his reactions. And all this is without the cats actually in the house!

Has anybody else dealt with this problem and if so what can you recommend? Allergy Shots? Is there a specific type we should ask about? We're pretty desperate!

lokilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get a really good air purifier with a true HEPA filter. Quite expensive but I've heard people have pretty good success with them. Looking into one myself. An allergist is generally required for those allergy shots at least as far as I know. I can't really comment on meds in the USA but there are prescription strength allergy meds as well as anti-itch meds. I have cat allergies...since we've had to close all the windows and I find reactine doesn't even touch it. Going to try the air filter next.