Seresto From Petcaresupplies.com Or Other Sites

phillyman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I'll need to buy a new flea/tick collar for our cat. The SPCA and vet both recommended the flea/tick collar that lasts eight months from seresto. I've seen it priced at amazon/chewy/petco for a little less than 60 bucks.
BUT there are ebay sites at 25 and a site called petcaresupplies.com at 37 bucks.

I don't trust the ebay version because I assume some kind of fake. I could see that petcaresupplies.com might be able to do it with some kind of volume discount. BUT it feels too good to be true and I do not want to buy something fake/dangerous.

Do any of you know if they are reputable or are there other places you purchase your flea/tick collars?

Thanks,
Philly

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember if the collar gets caught on something your cat can hang himself. If he wants the collar off he may get it stuck in his mouth and be chewing on the flea medication from then until you find him and free him from the collar. If the collar comes in a breakaway version that would be the better one to get.

Some cats really hate the way the collars smell.

I would not buy a flea collar or any medicine on ebay. That is just my opinion.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you didn't ask it, but I am personally against flea collars. Two reasons:

1. A vet once described a flea collar to me as a wall. It just divides your cat onto two zones for fleas the butt and the head. While they can't set up home directly around the collar they sure can elsewhere.
  2. How strong is the chemical on the collar that it can last six months? Either it is really strong the first few months (safe?) Or really weak the last few months (effective?). I know I've heard horror stories of cats who develop a reaction to Soresto collars specifically with bad side effects.
That aside, worry about counterfeit product is a real one. I personally don't buy anything I need to be real from eBay, Walmart, Amazon or any other site that allows third party seller. Just not worth the savings at the risk of it being a dangerous knock off. I use Advantage for flea control (what my vet recommends) and only get it from chewy, a pet store with a brick store so I know they get from manufacturer or 1800petmeds. You could call Soresto directly and see who their distributors are to ensure the company you are looking at is a distributor and not some drop ship type deal.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seresto is different from other flea collars. It uses imidacloprid, the same chemical as Advantage (plus flumethrin for ticks), but releases a small amount every day instead of a large dose once a month like a spot-on, and it spreads through the body oils. I use Seresto for my dogs, it seems to work well.

Anyway, no, don't buy it from eBay or Amazon or any other place that might get stuff from sketchy sources. I get mine from Chewy. . .and, yes, sometimes they do go on sale for around $40, so I don't think $37 is suspiciously low. But I don't know anything about that website so you might try calling Bayer's customer service number and see if they're an approved vendor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phillyman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to know that they can go on sale and the price seems reasonable. I like the idea of contacting Bayer to see if they are an approved vendor.

As for flea collar or not. I will tend to use it esp with the added information that indicates that seresto's chemicals and methodology are better than average. I am HIGHLY allergic to flea bites so any protection against them is welcome. Also we live in a wooded/grassy area that exposes her/me to a higher risk. Also I haven't noticed any adverse reaction to the collar.

I appreciate members making me think about using flea collars and the associated risks/dangers.

Philly