Seperation Anxiety

colouris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sure there is already several post about this topic but I'd really appreciate any advise you all have to offer. My 8 month old kitten Nova is super attached to me. For the first few months I had her we lived alone but about four months ago I moved into a house with two friends. Nova has not bonded to our new roommates and they are very indifferent about her. Nova always follows me around the house and she will start to meow if I close the door to use the bathroom. I always figured that was the extent of it. I just learned from my roommates she cries constantly whenever I leave the house. Even if I run to the store for me 15 minutes she starts to meow. As a result my roommates have come quite hostile towards Nova. Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce Novas anxiety?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you think that the hostility your roommates have is making her anxiety worse?  Can you try talking to them first?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, being hostile to her is definitely not the way to make her cry less. Not at all. In what way are they being hostile exactly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colouris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of them has taken to throwing things at her while she is eating and making very aggressive movements towards her. My other roommate yells at her for no reason. They also joke about drowning her while I know they wouldn't actually do it I find it extremely offensive. I have talked to both of them several times. It's my duty to protect Nova and I will move if I have to but I'm hoping there is a solution to this problem.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
One of them has taken to throwing things at her while she is eating and making very aggressive movements towards her. My other roommate yells at her for no reason. They also joke about drowning her while I know they wouldn't actually do it I find it extremely offensive. I have talked to both of them several times. It's my duty to protect Nova and I will move if I have to but I'm hoping there is a solution to this problem.
Omg, I'd either be kicking those roommates out or packing up my stuff and cats and leaving! That is horrible! Even just joking about it. I'm sorry but they sound like rather cruel people :(

And I have completely gone off on people for just "joking" like that before. I'm just absolutely floored, 

Last edited:

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Holy #@!%. No wonder Nova is stressed and freaks out when you leave. Her "protector" is gone and she's home all alone with those terrible people. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You clearly need to move out of this situation. It's the only way her behavior will improve. She is being abused.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's not good for her, poor baby.

Cats already sensitive to noises, scaring her like that it wouldn't help her confidence, she will be scared all the time.