Seperation Anxiety and Middening

duckman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

We seem to have one heck of a stressed out kitty on our hands.

He was find for the first month we got him. And then....
1. He got a bladder infection. Treated with antibiotics.
2. He started pulling fur out of his chest. Covered with a bandanna until he stopped.
3. He started pooing on the floor... and has not stopped. Tried deworming, antibiotics, tested to see if he could feel feet and tail. He's on Buspar.
4. He started meowing when he's alone/can't find us, which he never did before.
5. Just brought him to the vet on Friday - another bladder infection.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas?
He can not go outside, we're in an apartment. He doesn't ever want to play, so play therapy isn't working.

I know that he was very attached to his mother. We're contemplating getting him a playmate. I'm actually heading out shortly to meet 3 4 month old kittens.

help?

EDIT: Additional information - He follows me and my boyfriend around everywhere. He does not like to be left in a room by himself and typically will not leave the room(s) we are in.

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Duckman,

It sounds like the poor darling is having quite some trouble adjusting to the new environment.. Is there anything at your home which clearly makes him upset? He might also not really like the food or litter you are providing, which kind do you use?

The pulling out of fur is odd. Maybe he was having an allergic reaction to something?

I'm afraid that introducing another cat at this point will temporarily make things even worse as it is another stress to which he will need to adapt. It could help in the future though after he is feeling a bit better..

My cats have both had bladder infections and it was stress related. There is special food that helps prevent bladder infections. Your vet can prescribe it.

Is your kitty neutered?

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Totally agree with everything furbum wrote.
I had my first kitten for 2 months and then I brought home another kitten a month ago and the first couple of weeks were stressful - very stressful for all of us. We did not have the health issues your little one is suffering now and I can imagine how much more stressful it can get. Cats, what I realized, have a very close relation between their physical and mental health - if they are stressed, it can manifest in physical distress. So wait till your present kitty is well to add another.
How old is your kitty now? Since you say he was attached to his mother, was he very young when you got him?
As to following you around - Calvin kind of does the same, too and is very attached - the whole reason we got the 2nd kitty. To be honest, I find of adore that he always likes to hang out with us - many cats actually do that. You are definitely on the right track about getting a buddy for him but the timing may not be perfect now.
Have you tried pluggin in Feliway diffuser in your apartment? It does wonders.
I am sure others who know way more about kitties will chime in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Feliway made him skiddish, he really didn't seem to like it. Just an hour after unplugging it he was back to normal. I tried it twice with the same results.

He has been fixed.

We got him at 7 months and he's a year old now. He was with his mother up until the point when he went up for adoption.

I would love to wait a little longer... but it seems that the longer I wait the worse he's getting. Friday brought along another bladder infection and also caused him to spray for the first time ever! (He was at the vet's office all day, so I don't blame him. It was probably very stressful for him.)

I'm at a total loss.

He seemed to adjust fine initially. An entire month passed before any issues arose. Nothing really changed except we started leaving him alone a bit longer.

Food: We feed him Iams Healthy Naturals dry and Iams wet. His foster said Iams was the only thing that didn't upset his stomach when she had him.

Litter: We use the pine pellets. This is what he had at the foster as well. We tried clay, wheat, and the cat attract - but he liked to eat them! He seems to like the pellets well enough.

I did go and see three cats yesterday and two of them sat on my lap. When I got home he jumped on me and sniffed and sniffed and sniffed. He then curled up on my lap and went to sleep. He also seemed a LOT calmer last night and actually left me alone for an hour and slept in another room. A good sign?

duckman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just looked some stuff up and I read that he should have been separated from his mother around 12 weeks... and likely was with her too long. This can cause separation anxiety issues.

Ugh.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duckman

I just looked some stuff up and I read that he should have been separated from his mother around 12 weeks... and likely was with her too long. This can cause separation anxiety issues.

Ugh.
This is not something I have any direct experience with, but it really sounds as if he's looking for and missing a companion.

Duckman, is it possible you could work with the rescue to bring home a friend for your kitty on a trial basis?

Just throwing the thought out there; some animals simply do better with companions than alone.

AC

duckman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we're going to try. we found one last night that seemed very compatible!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! That's a heck of a problem to have to deal with.

AC

duckman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Indeed! Haha
He also peed on our bed last night! *shakes head*

It was cute though, he kept making noises at me and following me as to say "I'm sorry mom!"

He then woke me at 3 am purring up a storm wanting to wrestle.

Its a good thing I adore him!

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Duckman,

It sounds like he is rejecting his litter box. I would try placing out an extra litter box or two, each with a different type of litter, and letting him choose. Each cat can be different in their litter preferences. Sometimes they only tolerate the litter we provide them and therefore look for the occasional opportunity to go elsewhere.

Another possibility is that he is confused, or has forgotten the importance of the litter box and needs to be retrained. You might find it useful to quarantine him in a small room (that is easy to clean) when he misses the box until he figures it out again.

duckman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tried all of that. He was in a room for 2 weeks and still did not use the box for #2. It seemed to stress him out even more then he was. He likes to eat all other litter, so that's also out of the question. We tried the cat attract just 2 weeks ago, but when I caught him eating it, out it went!