Separation anxiety and urinating

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

need some advice. My cat is usually a model citizen... up until it’s time for me to travel for any length of time. During COVID, this is fine, but now that 2021 is nearly upon us work travel and vacations are looming. When I’m out of the house for days at a time- the cat pees on the $400 rug or the bed (in spite of her having a wonderful sitter). I’ve started doing the usual things that I hope will lessen her anxiety (pulling out and packing the suitcase and not leaving, going Through my ‘leaving routine’ then sitting down and playing with her, etc). Is there anything else I can be doing to reduce her anxiety and her inappropriate peeing? I can’t keep having an $80-100 cleaning bill every time I have to go away... the other option is putting her in a kennel when I go away- which I hate the idea of and she likely would too!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you put unscented puppy pee pads down and for any larger areas put down a tarp or aired-out shower curtain (new ones can have a strong odor).

Also try cat music, MusicForCats may work for her, there's also youtube, RelaxMyCat...

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure it would help, but you could make her a nest with blankets or towels with your scent on it. Worst case, it doesn't help and she pees on them, but at least *that* wouldnt be a big cleaning bill.

You could also take up the tempting rug and strip the bed. Beds and small rugs are a frequent target because they can be kneaded beneath the paws. Shower curtain idea above could work if its tucked in so the cat cant get under it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is your cat? (Just out of curiosity.) You might try leaving out worn, unwashed clothing of yours when you are away for your cat to be able to smell your scent while you are gone. I realize you stand the chance of them getting peed on, but it might help to alleviate some of her anxiety from not having you around - and reduce the inappropriate peeing.

Does the sitter stay at your home, or just visit once or twice day? If they don't stay in your home, you might try that once to see if it helps. It is possible she needs more attention from/time with the sitter in order to make her feel more secure in your absence.

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

need some advice. My cat is usually a model citizen... up until it’s time for me to travel for any length of time. During COVID, this is fine, but now that 2021 is nearly upon us work travel and vacations are looming. When I’m out of the house for days at a time- the cat pees on the $400 rug or the bed (in spite of her having a wonderful sitter). I’ve started doing the usual things that I hope will lessen her anxiety (pulling out and packing the suitcase and not leaving, going Through my ‘leaving routine’ then sitting down and playing with her, etc). Is there anything else I can be doing to reduce her anxiety and her inappropriate peeing? I can’t keep having an $80-100 cleaning bill every time I have to go away... the other option is putting her in a kennel when I go away- which I hate the idea of and she likely would too!
Hi!!
I had the same issue. My cat would get upset when we left, and would pee on our bed. Feliway diffusers were a game changer. As soon as we got one, she stopped. When it runs out, she will pee again.
They are so much cheaper on amazon.