Separating my cat from her siblings

SavvynWicca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kia Ora,
I live with two flatmates and together we got kittens, three from the same litter (sisters).
however, I’m moving away in January (she will be about 11 months old when this happens) and I’m really worried about how she will react. I will be going to classes during the day and so will my new flatmate so it will be the first time EVER that she is completely alone for hours at a time. Is there anything I can do now to prepare her for this in a way that won’t be harmful to her happiness? And is there anything I can do to minimise the effect of our move after we get there? Again, she is going from having two cats to play with to being alone. Thanks for any insight or advice you can provide!
cheers,
Sav

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe get her another companion. It will be hard for her to be alone all day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing not mentioned in our articles that I have found helpful...a few weeks before you move, lay an old sheet that you don't mind sacrificing somewhere that your cat loves to lie. Let her shed ALL OVER IT. Just before moving day, take it, cut it into 1-2' squares, fold them fur-side in, and tuck into a plastic bag. Keep that with you, and before you turn her lose at the new now, scatter 2-3 squares in each room. The whole apartment will smell like her TO her, and give her an instant sense of territory.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree another cat would be best Would your roommate like to adopt one? If so then it would be a great thing to share in They obviously don’t mind you having a cat so they might love the idea If not you could get the playmate