Separating from my fosters

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Joelle - Don't panic about the detaining (I'm sad to say I missed the "5 days part" too somehow - I've always been taught a minimum of 2 weeks with an optimum of 4 - and I love love love Catwoman707's description of the "4 week stages of acclimation" since I may actually use that in my own thinking when I foster!) because I'm guessing that a woman who's happy to Skype about her new residents will be happy to keep them in just a big longer. I bet if you explain it to her the way Catwoman707 described it, she'll understand. It sounds like she's very open to education on what's best for the kitties - given that she even seemed understanding on the spaying/neutering of her other farm cats. 

Keep us posted on how things continue! Hope your travels are going well!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just realized it's your mom who will skype - not the woman at the farm. :)

I shouldn't read and answer so quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh god no!
I will tell her that!ow I really hope she agrees... she said she qill keep them as long as they need to stat in.... but then I know she might need that space for a horse or so...
One month might be too long for her.

I will talk to her for sure...I guees im gonna have to beg.

My mom. I tried everything possible with her... she has issues with pets, and sometimes she goes for days and there would be nobody to feed them....
I wish would keep them!

I cant believe how they followed my voice when my mom played it to them....oh it made cry like a child.

If the woman says she can't keep them that long indoor I will offer her money. Whatever she asks for...

I know that with the amount of money I ve spent on these babies I could have saved hunfreds more but I am just overly attached to them. I hope im not being unfair to other cats more in need.

But well. Now im panicking how to ensure they stay in....

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope im not being unfair to other cats more in need.

Djoe, I know that feeling.  With all the time and money I have invested in Ellie (Little Ginger, who has her own thread) I could probably be feeding and sheltering 10!   But I think we have to commit to care for those we chose to rescue (or more likely those who chose us to rescue them) and do our best for them.  Catwoman's motto about making the world of difference to one cat (or in your case, three cats) is very true.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PLEASE don't drive yourself too crazy with the "I could be doing more for other kitties" in your head. You know I too am one to talk - I got SO invested in each of our fosters - which will shock no one who ever reads anything I write - and add to that the 5 of our inside babies - and all the stress and money over the growing number of ferals in our backyard and now the raccoon that showed up to eat cat food last night that looked like he had a broken leg---and I often feel like I could use all this energy and money and spread it around and save twice as many at least....but Catwoman's sign off hit me too. You're making a HUGE difference in these three babies' lives. You've truly saved them!

And don't panic about them inside. Again - I'm not one to talk as I hit the emotional panic button about every hour and a half when I think about my fosters - saying to myself repeatedly since they don't have homes yet and looks like they'll be headed to sit in a cage indefinitely - "Why did I fail them? What could I have done?" But my husband reminded me that I've - if nothing else - given them a great month and a half AND I've learned even more about how to help the next ones. So remember we're all still learning! And I feel about 99.9999% sure that this woman you've found will keep them inside as long as you ask her to. They're not even there yet - so it's not like you don't have time to explain to her. You have plenty of time! And if she's made up a room for them, and let you come see it to get your approval - this isn't someone who's going to say "If it's bad for them I'll still just keep them in a few days and that's it." She's going to alot of effort and obviously is a caring person. Plus -- we all know --she's gonna totally fall in love with these beautiful babies you've so lovingly raised :) 

I have faith in the universe on this one! 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
djoe, I'm sorry to have added stress to your situation. Not sorry I told you, but don't mean to make things any worse than they already are feeling now.

I did want to add this, as it may be helpful.
When I am relocating cats to be outdoor mousers, if the property doesn't have an escape-proof outbuilding, I simply loan large cages.
These can be placed anywhere convenient for her, in case a month is infact too long to hold up a space.

Something to consider.

The cage should be placed in a place near or at where she will be feeding them once they are released.
It should be covered with a sheet or similar, over the top with 1/3 of the cage exposed. (front)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing all you can with the situation you are in for those three babies - the best that you can for them under the circumstances. :hugs: :hugs: Question..... - is she keeping the three in a horse stall? I was under the impression it was an enclosed room - tack room - or something of the sort. And, :sigh:, don't want to add even more to worry about but - the cats may very well be able to escape from a horse stall. Have you seen the stall/room where she plans on keeping them confined? Most horse stalls have little holes (from mice) coming in and out of under the wall boards and cats can easily dig their way out, climb the wooden wall boards or jump out from the feeder. May not be the safest way to confine them, hun..... :( :hugs: :hugs: Sending you mega, mega hugs because I know this is tearing you up inside and I am so sorry about that.

I also was going to suggest, as Catwoman did :nod:, about using a large dog crate for them and keeping the crate in the vicinity of where she does the feedings, etc. OR set it up for the kitties if she needs the stall for a horse just outside of the stall where she was keeping them. IF you think the stall/room is not completely secure so that they cannot escape - then the cage confinement may be the safest way to go. I think it is really good to bounce these ideas back and forth together with all of us here. You have such a good heart too offering to give her so much money for their care/confinement and I hope that she understands how much these three kitties mean to you. Don't feel guilty about how you have and are caring for Gebran, Quays and Cynthia and that taking away from other kitties you could have saved!!! There is always more we could do for others with our money BUT we must take priority of the ones we do take in and rescue - those are the ones that matter at the moment and the ones who need it the most, it is the way it should be. AWWWWWW - my heart just goes out to you and to those three little ones. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just sending vibes and hugs to you and the kitties. Hope all is going well. Update when you can. :vibes: :hugs: :rub: :vibes: :hugs: :rub: :hugs: :vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Still no update... just thinking about the kitties and hope that they are doing alright. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Hope all is well. :cross:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think about this situation often - hope things are going well. Please do update when you can - I know I'm saying little kitty prayers!

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, and thank you all for the vibes and suggestions and support. I have been traveling like crazy lately, so excuse my long silence.

So in the end I had to travel while leaving them at home with mom to complete the antibiotics for Qays, and on the night I was traveling, cynthia stepped on a glass and wounded her paw. It was ok, I talked to the vet and I was monitoring it by distance and my mom finally agreed to take them to the vet (twice) to treat cynthia's wound and to monitor qays's granuloma. After the treatment was done, I flew over for less than 48 hours, I had one last night of cuddling with them and took them to the farm with all their toys and coussins and blankets and baskets the next day.
I stayed with them for a while up there. It was difficult, i can't describe how much!.....but since then i ve been in touch with the farm lady on daily basis to check on them.
Finally, my mom (I owe her a lot now), eventhough she has knee problems, she drove up and checked on them, and too them loads of treats, and some tip for the groom in the farm to watch over them.

I realised though that she still did not neuter the other cats, but she is still willing to do so - maybe on my next trip I will help her transporting them.

So according to mom, they are doing great! having loads of activities, and running arround for a few hours a day, then they are brought back to their room. they are still exploring, and they are not very comfortable with the other cats. They spend a lot of their time around the grooms and people there, and don't like the other cats so much. ... that will change you think?

But overall, my mom thinks they are healthy and happy. They are well fed and groomed. Luckily, the do have human contact, so they don't feel desrted.

I can't wait to go back there sometime , maybe not so soon though, and check on them.

When i go, do you think it will be ok to bring them home with me for a few days?

I feel much more relaxed about them being up there now.... she sent me a couple of photos. they looked happy.. I so glad.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am SO very, very, very happy to see your update. I check here everyday and wonder, so thank you!! I don't know why - :lol3: - but your three touched my heart in a special way and I feel for them.

They may eventually accept the other barn cats but it will be extremely more difficult due to some not being neutered. There will be challenges then and your three feel that tension and know to stay away from them. I am glad to hear that there are other people looking out for them and I hope/pray that they will stay safe and be happy!!! :rub:

Honestly, I do not think it would be a good idea to take them home with you for a few days when you return. :shame: It would not be good for them at all. They would think they are coming home and then you would bring them back?? They may get very depressed and confused by that. Best to leave them there BUT IF you can ever bring them home for good - I hope you do and I hope someday you can. :cross: :cross: :vibes: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was SOOOO  happy to read your post - great to know they're doing so well!!!!!

I'm torn on taking them home with you - I'm sure FerlVR is actually correct. Uprooting them for just a few days of an intensive "love fest" at your place would be wonderful for you (SO wonderful!!!!) but my gut tells me it probably would be confusing for them. And they need to start to feel like they're putting down roots where they are. How far is where they are from where you'll be when you come back for a few days? If they're a ways away - could you spend a day/overnight either directly with them (not sure how well you know the farmer and his wIfe) or at least find a super super cheap place to stay one night so you could spend two days and a night just playing with them for long, quality chunks of time/? 

If your only option in spending time is bringing them home with you for a few days, if they truly have adjusted pretty well to the new place like it sounds like they did, all my "normal" cat advice goes out the window a bit since my honest answer is probably more heart than head ---- I don't think I could help it. I'd be wholeheartedly against taking them away for a few days if they were more skittish and had a hard time adjusting to new places, but they seem so resilient, and - yes, I definitely see the concern about confusing them when you leave, but I think they might benefit from the time with you too. Plus it would give you lots of time to talk to the woman when you come and go about getting the others spayed and neutered - which is becoming hypercritcial as spring & hormone season rolls in with full force. The other cats will be so much more accepting to her kitties if they're all neutered and not jittery with hormones (even though hers can't mate). I've seen way too many hormone-nutty toms try to mount anything they can (not discriminating against who can actually MAKE kittens with them and who can't) - ending in nasty bites and scratches all around, and then fear from her little ones 

So bottom line for me - I don't know what to tell you:) My heart says yes - my head says no:)  But you HAVE to at least see them no matter what! And GET PICTURES!!!!!!!

This story makes my heart sing :)

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
these are some of the images i got from the farm lady and my mom when she went there. I am sure I will have so much more for you when i go there in person!

I can't wait for that day to come! i am hoping maybe for their 1 year birthday in July!!

I agree with you about confusing them. there is no doubt I will go see them up there everyday for hours!!! I am even trying to convince my brother to register his daughter in horse riding up there so that they can see them every week!!! (so selfish I know) but she is barely 4 years old now :( so not an easy task.

I too hope that one day, if they will be willing, I can take them back to wherever home will be.  Do you think they will remember me still??? my mom said they did not run to her, they let her cuddle them and they recognized their treats but they were so busy running around and exploring. Maybe they were showing her the place? i would like to think that they will not forget me.

Thank you again to all of you. This would have been a nightmare if I did not have you support. 

I saw them in my dreams yesterday :) It was so real.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THis made my morning!!!!!!! I was having a rough nite/morning as our Phoebe - - the 19 year old that stopped eating two weeks ago (hard to believe we've been syringe feeding that long when we were sure she!!!)-had a kind of tough night, which meade me stress, which made my fibromyalgia worse. So seeing these beautiful, sun-filled, happy cat pictures made my day!!!!

I think they'll remember you!!! They may even be cautious at first (I always think that - in their heads - there's a little bit of "is she REALLY back?!?!? I can't show how excited I am" with kitties. I bet they were showing your mom around - they're still young little guys who get really excited!

My hope for you is that one day you can take them. Or if they're so happy where they are that you can visit as much as you want and you can save ANOTHER 3 wonderful cats :)  EIther way - I think the kitties win :)

You did SOOO well with these guys!

(how soon is it that you get to see them)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOOK AT THOSE PHOTOS !!!!!! :high5: :bigthumb: AWWW - I am much relieved to know that they are adjusting so well, settling in so well, and curiously venturing around the barn a bit. How fantastic and you must feel very, very good about your decision now to bring them there. :D :hugs: Thanks for sharing those pictures!

OH - horseback riding lessons for a four year old is a wonderful idea not only for them to check on your kitties BUT what a great activity for your niece! AND, absolutely, your three kitties WILL always remember you! Forever !! :heart3: :nod:

tonyd4life

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am planning on this type of move for two fairly friendly ferals I care for and your story has really given me some confidence and motivation that it can be successful.

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey Tony,  please keep in my mind that before I made that move, I checked on almost every inch of the barn and every person that works there, and so much more still needs to be done to spay the remaining cats there. And ofcourse the main point is the owner, who absolutely needs to a animal lover.

Please share you story with us!!! 

I wouldn't have done it without all these loving cat people here!

I shall update more photos soon!