Sentry Calming Collar

lyssa366

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not 100% sure where this should go but, I was just wondering what the reviews for the Sentry Calming Collar for cats? Has anyone used it on a cat who hates traveling? I have to travel home Saturday, bout 7 hours with my 7mo kitten and he's not the greatest traveler, as well as take a few trips to the vet when i get home, and i was just wondering if this might be a good idea? I use feliway but it didn't seem to have a huge effect on him, I just want to find something that'll help him for his benefit. I kinda left it last minute but I just saw an ad for this product and wanted to know what people think about it, or if there are any other types of calming collars that work that I could pick up from the local pet store. I'm reading reviews on the product from petsmart, everyone seems to complain about the smell of the lavender, is it really that strong? 

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I used Feliway spray for my cats when traveling--sprayed a bit on a washcloth and put it under a puppy pad (in case of accidents) in the carrier.  It worked pretty well.  But it sounds like Feliway didn't work much for your cat.

Here's the review section on calming aids, maybe one of these reviews will help you:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/category/calming-aids

flowerdew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again (sorry)! My kitten responds much better to the Sentry calming collar than to Feliway. My understanding is that Feliway mimics a cat's own facial pheromones, while the Sentry calming collar mimics the pheromones released by a mother cat to calm her kittens. If one isn't working for your kitten, the other very well might.

It does have a definite sweet smell. I don't mind it, but I'm not going to tell you that it's not noticeable. For the first day or so, I can smell it in the room she's in, but after that I don't notice it unless she's very close to me.

It's not a miracle cure, but I see definite strong improvement with her since she's started wearing it.

zookeeper67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The smell is strong for the first day, but not bad at all and I am very sensitive to strong smells. I am not sure if a young cat could wear them, but they do work well. Even better is the Thunder shirt, if you can find a very small size.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just seeing your thread now; so my answer may be too late to help.

I tried a calming collar on one of my cats who over-grooms.  All our vet visits pointed to it being a stress issue.  I also used a Feliway diffuser.  Noodles did great with the first collar.  She seemed calmer and more willing to be out in the middle of the floor when my kids were running around.  My vet and I both got excited over her progress.  She got sick around the time the collar wore out and I ended up having to take it off her (along with the regular collar she has always worn).  She was trying to bite it off.  I think she just felt so bad she didn't want anything touching her.

I thought the smell was fantastic.  It was more noticeable at first.  I could smell Noodles near me; even if I didn't see or hear her.  I ended up tossing the collar under the Christmas tree since both cats normally spend a lot of time under there.  I'd also tossed the extra pieces (you clip it to size) in the kennel I'd been using for her vet trips.  It was really disappointing to have to take it off.  I'm hoping I can try again in a few months; but the grooming problem is secondary right now.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just saw this thread. I am a HUGE advocate for Sentry Calming Collars. 

They saved my baby girl during a really rough (on her and on us humans) cat intro process with my 3rd cat.

She has always been a skittish cat from day one, and she is easily stressed and does the typical skittish kitty behavior, always hiding, and scared to approach and runs when approached, hisses, etc. When we did the cat to cat intro, she used to sit in her litter box all day, and not eat. I was thinking about getting feliway diffusers but i didn't want to make an investment on something that may or may not work (some people say when it works, it's amazing, if it has any affect on kitty, and it could take up to 1 month to see results). I tried the collars and the change in her behavior was night and day immediately.

The Sentry calming collars were also very helpful for my kitties when we recently moved (in Oct). I have the collar on my girl Jet all the time now, because she's so skittish and gets stressed so easily. They help with vet visits as well. i always have one on her, change it every 30 days. AND they make her smell lovely!! LOL she always smells like grape flavored bubblegum. 

Since you will be moving and will have to keep your kitty in the car for more than 7 hours, I would highly recommend the calming collars, in conjunction with calming cat treats. 

You could use calming sprays....my experience with calming sprays hasn't been too good...i've use 3 different types....Sentry calming spray, whisker city, and nature's miracle...and all of my cats avoid any sprayed area like the plague...and even if they were to come into contact with the sprayed area...I don't think it did anything for them. 

Hope this helps.

tiger claws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad to hear that someone had good luck with these collars.  I didn't see any change at all.  Although, I did try the plug-in kind and did see a difference!  A can't remember the product name, but I will search it and post it as soon as possible!  It is expensive, but well worth it. 

tiger claws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried the feliway collars, too.  I didn't see that much change, although I did see a bigger change than the other brands.  I am using the Comfort Zone with feliway plug-ins and have had amazing results.  There is no smell and they last for 30 days.  After you purchase the plug-in (comes with a bottle of feliway), you only have to buy refills.  I stopped using it for a couple of months to see if Tiger would remain calm without it.  For the next 20 days or so, he remained calm...then, back to normal!  My suggestion is to use the plug in for several months before traveling and possibly use the feliway collar in the car.  Maybe this would work for you! Good luck.  You can view the product on the following page.  http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin...meds.com/Comfort+Zone+For+Cats-prod10776.html

ursulaandbuffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The smell of the lavender is very strong the first few hours or day that it is on the cat (super duper strong the first ten minutes!)  RIght now our kittens have had them for a little under a week and I can only smell it if they are laying right on me.  

As for whether it works, it varies from cat to cat.  The package says it can take two weeks or long to work on some cats, so if you're going to use it, I would get it right away!  My husband thinks it has helped our kittens -- I am not sure.  I think they are better than they would have been without it, but we are using some GNC calming chews as well.  Between the collar and calming chews, they do seem a little calmer in general, but can still get pretty worked up.  

Good luck!