Sent my sweet almost 17 year old girl over the Rainbow Bridge

thevintageowl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

Yesterday we had to put our sweet girl, Lucy, to rest.

She battled an awful, fast growing tumor since September. It attacked the left side of her face and eye. Whatever the cancer was it was fast growing and aggressive. We opted not to biopsy and pursue treatment due to her age and extreme dislike of the vet's office so she lived on Palliative care for the last couple months. She was so spoiled - she ate about 15 different food types, got warm baths and wipe downs as she couldn't groom herself easily, and had the coziest blanket with her own little space heater for warmth. I started noticing issues with her in March but they presented as severe stomatitis and tooth issues so we had almost all of them extracted. The recovery was very hard for her but she made it through and returned to normal for a short time. Not long after she started having issues with her right eye...a hypopyon formed but eventually went away. The issues with the left eye started in September. First, it was watery and it went from that to corneal ulceration and then a tumor could be seen protruding from behind the eye. It is so bizarre how it all happened so fast...I almost wonder if she had some form of Lymphoma or SCC (but there was no tumor inside her mouth). She was so healthy her entire life up until this year! I was diligent with giving her her medications (Mirataz, Prednisolone, & Gabapentin) and they worked well up until last week. When they stopped I knew it was time to let her go.

I took her in around 4pm and once the meds were injected she went instantly and peacefully. She was so tired and ready to go. She would have turned 17 in March. My husband and I adopted her from our local Humane Society together when we were in our early 20's and she was such an important part of our family. She lived with me when I was in college and has been there for every major milestone in our lives....marriage, deaths, new homes, and births. Our kids, ages 7 & 9, saw her as their furry big sister so they are taking it very hard. She was always so feisty and fun...and caused lots of drama at times. She even got stuck in a wall at my parents' house once (long but funny story) and we had to cut out a huge chunk of sheetrock to get her out!

Please send love our way. This is going to be an extremely hard transition for all of us. I hate to say this but this loss makes me more upset than when I lost my grandparents. I am thankful we got one last Christmas with her and send all my love to those who are also dealing with the same, sad thing right now. <3

IMG_7438.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We had to let our 17.5 year old boy go the end of October. He just couldn't make it til Christmas, bless his heart. He was on the top of the fridge a couple weeks before.

They leave holes in our hearts.

send all my love to those who are also dealing with the same, sad thing right now.
Thank you for this.

RIP, darling sweetheart. Poppycat is there to help you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They worm themselves into our lives and our souls, often becoming so much a part of us we feel empty without them there. Cats often are closer to us than many human relationships because their love is unconditional, they accept us for what we are.
You have built up a very strong bond of love over that many years, love is spiritual, so eternal. Her love will always be a part of your soul, she will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. Nothing can break that bond, not even death. That is why it hurts so much, you can feel her love but she is not physically present.
Try to rejoice that you had her in your life for that many years, celebrate what she taught you, what she freely gave to you. She leaves you a legacy of love and would like nothing more then for you to pass it on to another little one in time. Never to replace, that is not possible, but to continue what she taught you, to add on to her love and make it grow even stronger. A broken heart needs time to heal, and it takes a long time......
Your love for that little girl is as unique as a snowflake. No one else in this whole world will love her as you do and receive the love she sends you. We are empathetic here at this site because we have lived through the pain of loss with our own little ones, and know how horrible grief can be. Please know we understand and extend to you our thoughts and prayers in this sad time. Take care......RIP dear Lucy. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So many of us sadly know the pain you're going through now. They become such a part of our family. It's devastating to lose them, and the grief is every bit as painful as losing a human family member. My heart goes out to your and your family. :hugs:

Rest in peace now, sweet Lucy. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Lucy, dream you deep. Your pawprints are in someone's heart forever.

I am so sorry. What a lovely, long life she had, but where there is love, an eternity together is not enough. This is the deepest truth I know, that love never dies. It is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. And now, from her new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you, and sends her Love back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides, always, forever, Love abides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thevintageowl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had to let our 17.5 year old boy go the end of October. He just couldn't make it til Christmas, bless his heart. He was on the top of the fridge a couple weeks before.

They leave holes in our hearts.

Thank you for this.

RIP, darling sweetheart. Poppycat is there to help you.
I am so very sorry. It’s so hard! There is a giant hole and we miss her so much. 😕

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucy was very beautiful and it sounds like she was an loving & adventurous soul! She was a multi generational kitty and their loss is felt on additional levels. She was given the joys of being treasured and loved plus the ultimate gift of an easu passing.
My father's people had some unique beliefs that were comforting to us when we lost a loved one: the departed have returned to our Creator, the ancestors and those yet to be born and Lucy's spirit will return & probably be instructing your future kitties all about you all. I still go outside at night to look up at the Night Sky Trail (Milky Way) and think of the spirits crossing over. Also, right around the time of passing look to the sky for special signs that all is well: spectacular sunsets/sunrises, rainbows, sundogs (parhelions), lenticular clouds, etc. which are considered gifts & tokens as are certain stones, unique sticks and feathers found during nature walks.
Another member here suggested Holy Basil to help with grief; it worked well for me when I lost my special human and I couldn't take time off from work because of the pandemic.
I pray that your family gets much encouragement and healing and don't be surprised when your next cat or kittens who surprisingly enter your lives just "fit right in" because as they say "a cat shaped hole in the heart is best filled by a cat"
:vibes: :alright::rbheart:

thevintageowl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lucy was very beautiful and it sounds like she was an loving & adventurous soul! She was a multi generational kitty and their loss is felt on additional levels. She was given the joys of being treasured and loved plus the ultimate gift of an easu passing.
My father's people had some unique beliefs that were comforting to us when we lost a loved one: the departed have returned to our Creator, the ancestors and those yet to be born and Lucy's spirit will return & probably be instructing your future kitties all about you all. I still go outside at night to look up at the Night Sky Trail (Milky Way) and think of the spirits crossing over. Also, right around the time of passing look to the sky for special signs that all is well: spectacular sunsets/sunrises, rainbows, sundogs (parhelions), lenticular clouds, etc. which are considered gifts & tokens as are certain stones, unique sticks and feathers found during nature walks.
Another member here suggested Holy Basil to help with grief; it worked well for me when I lost my special human and I couldn't take time off from work because of the pandemic.
I pray that your family gets much encouragement and healing and don't be surprised when your next cat or kittens who surprisingly enter your lives just "fit right in" because as they say "a cat shaped hole in the heart is best filled by a cat"
:vibes: :alright::rbheart:
Thank you for this. We noticed a lot of Lady Bugs around our house on Friday. I told my husband I thought that was a "hello" from Lucy and her letting us know she is safe and happy. I just ordered some Holy Basil and I am excited to try it. Sleep has been hard since she left...I keep having nightmares where I am trying to find her and can't so I am hoping it will help some of the

thevintageowl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for this. We noticed a lot of Lady Bugs around our house on Friday. I told my husband I thought that was a "hello" from Lucy and her letting us know she is safe and happy. I just ordered some Holy Basil and I am excited to try it. Sleep has been hard since she left...I keep having nightmares where I am trying to find her and can't so I am hoping it will help some of the terrible anxiety! I am hoping with time it will pass. I know I did the right thing letting her go peacefully it is just such a hard adjustment! (I hit post too soon on the last paragraph!)

thevintageowl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah: I agree with all of the above! When my beloved Chrissy died, that night my husband screamed at the night sky, "Chrissy, PLEASE tell us if you made it to heaven!" At that exact moment, a shooting star shot sideways across the sky!
We saw a lot of Lady Bugs around our house (mainly around the door we use to go in and out) and I told my husband I thought that was a sign from Lucy telling us she is safe and happy! We never see Lady Bugs....especially during this time of year!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We saw a lot of Lady Bugs around our house (mainly around the door we use to go in and out) and I told my husband I thought that was a sign from Lucy telling us she is safe and happy! We never see Lady Bugs....especially during this time of year!
The lady bugs were truly a gift, especially this time of year. In was in January in the Eastern Sierra, when my granddaughter-in-law lost her paternal grandmother, the lady who raised her. At the graveside ceremony, on a cold day with snow on the ground, a hummingbird appeared and hovered over my GIL for a moment but my GIL had her head bent, crying. The little hummer flew up to a nearby pine tree then approached my GIL again. By then, I did a "pass-along" message to my GIL to look up and when she did, the hummingbird reapproached and hovered over her again. The mourners were "oohing and ahhing" and then my GIL told the bird, "Thank you, Grandma!" and the hummingbird flew off.

thevintageowl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I purchased these on Etsy so I’d have my girl close to my heart. I got my husband a keychain! They’re such a sweet way to keep them close during such a crummy time. ❤

Attachments

dulcemir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. My baby boy passed on the evening of January 1/morning of January 2, and he too was almost 17 (he would have also turned 17 exactly a month from when he died). Like Lucy, my cat also saw me through major milestones in my life, walking with me from young adulthood to full-grown adulthood. I am grieving not only his loss, but the loss of that time of my life.

How are you holding up? Today I am crying less, and part of me fears that he's farther away as a result.

The jewelry idea is great. I plan on getting something to have his fur embedded within so I can have him with me.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost your sweet beautiful girl, my heart goes out to you. Sending you hugs and prayers that it only gets easier second by second, until you find the day where you smile at her memory instead of cry.
Rest in peace sweet, sweet Lucy.