Sensitive Subject- Cat Attacking Parent's Cats

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a VERY sensitive subject. I know most of the people on here will not agree with this, which is why I'm here to try last-ditch efforts.

My parents live in a rural mountain town. They have a small (3 cat) semi-feral colony that they have TNR'd and feed regularly. They also have 3 house cats that are indoor-outdoor (though mostly indoor at this point). About two years ago, they had a cat show up at their house that was obviously well-fed and cared for. They did not feed him, gave him some pats, and off he went. They assumed he was just a wanderer and that was that. Well, he showed back up, and this time, was not so nice. He attacked two of the semi-ferals, hurting one to the point where my parents had to medicate his food for a bit due to an injury inflicted by the other cat.

They located the cat's owners, who lived down the road from them, and informed them that the cat was attacking their cats and what were they going to do about it? Owner told them that he is an indoor/outdoor cat and to "tell him to 'shoo'." Shooing the cat did not, and does not, work. He has been back at least 3 more time, each time inciting fights with my parent's cats.

My parent's neighbors have had similar issues with the same cat, including having to take one of their cats to the vet after an attack and receiving a hefty $700 vet bill. The cat was turned into the local shelter at one point, but was chipped and returned to the owner.

My parents are at their wit's end. They have tried shooing the cat. They've trued loud noises. They have even tried BB guns and pellets guns. No dice, the cats always comes back to their property and fights their cats. They don't leave food out for the semis anymore, they feed them at set times and pick up the bowls immediately, so the cat isn't coming for food. He is simply coming to be mean.

My stepdad loves cats, but he is done. He said the next time he sees the cat, the cat has "got to go." So here I am, asking if there is anything else, anything AT ALL, they can try. They talked about sending him back to the shelter, but since he is chipped, he will always be retuned. The owners seem to just not care- the obvious fix would be to keep the cat indoors, but they obviously are not willing to do that.

I know this is a long and emotional post, but at this point, what choice do my parents have? They can't jeopardize the health and well-being of their own cats simply because of neglectful owners.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You don't have a lot of options. First, I need to ask a question about the semi-ferals under your parents' care. Do they roam, or do they stay solely on your parents' property. If they don't roam, your parents could consider building a catio for them - many are pretty easy to build and can be made the same way one would make a chicken enclosure, with wooden beams and wire. There are tons of pics of various types of catios on the internet for examples - just do a search for all kinds of options. If this were possible, then you can do one or more of the following -
1.) check local municipality regulations to find out of there are leash laws applicable to cats. If so, then your parents and the surrounding neighbors can inundate the locality with calls about this cat being allowed to roam free. (The catio above enables your parents to be within local guidelines so the semi-ferals wouldn't be taken away.)
2.) repeatedly take the cat back to the local shelter and let them continue to contact the owners for pick up. After a dozen times or so, the owner may decide they need to do things differently with this cat. (The catio also secures your parents' semi-ferals from being picked up and turned in by this cat's owner in retaliation.)

Also, if a catio could be built for the semi-ferals, motion sensor sprinklers could be placed on your parents' property in order to deter the cat from coming near - most cats won't be willing to continue to come on the property if they are going to get soaked by doing so. Chicken wire placed on the ground in strategically located spots as needed is also a good deterrent as most cats do not like to walk on it.

If the catio isn't possible, your parents and the other neighbors don't have much of a choice but to use option #2 above and hope the cat's owner doesn't try to retaliate.

Hopefully, some other members will come along with some additional ideas.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How far do the ferals wander? Could your parents fence their property?

Did the neighbor at least pay the vet bills?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way your parents can trap the instigator and with the neighbor's permission take him to a no-kill shelter? Is the guy so much in love with his cat (doesn't sound like it) that he refuses to part with him? You can also get the police involved if this man does not at least try to rein in his cat.
Please don't hurt him- he doesn't know any better.

How about firecrackers?- of course that may scare your cats off as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

There are no laws in that part of the state. It's very rural- everyone and their mother has some sort of barn cat.

The catio idea would work IF the poor things weren't so scared of enclosed spaces. The intruder cats literally corners them on my parent's glassed in porch, so they can't run away. They used to spend most of their time in the chairs on the porch, but that's been happening less and les since the attacks started- now they like to hang out on the back deck, where it's open. I feel like they would absolutely flip their lids if they were in an enclosure that a.) they could not get out of and b.) if the other cat showed up and tormented them through said enclosure and they couldn't escape him. I don't think a fence would do anything, as they would just hop the fence.

They really do stay on my parent's property. After the last attack, mom didn't see one of the semis for about a week and thought she had left for good, but she was back yesterday and this morning for food.

I think I will tell them to try the police next- of course, that very well may end with them trapping and just euthanizing. Or the police may not be able to do anything.

The cat is the guy's young daughter's cat, so "she just loves him so much" and "just shoo him away, he will go away." Sigh.

Oh, and no, they have not paid any vet bills because they "weren't 100% certain" that the cat that attacked their cat was intruder cat. But it could be no other cat- all other cats that come around are accounted for.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh. I did just see where after an animal has been turned in for a 3rd time as a stray, the county issues a court summons. I'll tell them to keep turning him in.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

There are no laws in that part of the state. It's very rural- everyone and their mother has some sort of barn cat.

The catio idea would work IF the poor things weren't so scared of enclosed spaces. The intruder cats literally corners them on my parent's glassed in porch, so they can't run away. They used to spend most of their time in the chairs on the porch, but that's been happening less and les since the attacks started- now they like to hang out on the back deck, where it's open. I feel like they would absolutely flip their lids if they were in an enclosure that a.) they could not get out of and b.) if the other cat showed up and tormented them through said enclosure and they couldn't escape him. I don't think a fence would do anything, as they would just hop the fence.

They really do stay on my parent's property. After the last attack, mom didn't see one of the semis for about a week and thought she had left for good, but she was back yesterday and this morning for food.

I think I will tell them to try the police next- of course, that very well may end with them trapping and just euthanizing. Or the police may not be able to do anything.

The cat is the guy's young daughter's cat, so "she just loves him so much" and "just shoo him away, he will go away." Sigh.

Oh, and no, they have not paid any vet bills because they "weren't 100% certain" that the cat that attacked their cat was intruder cat. But it could be no other cat- all other cats that come around are accounted for.

I meant for the police to come out and talk to the guy. I doubt they are going to set any traps.
I also don't think they will automatically euthanize the cat since most counties have the seven day grace period and he is micro-chipped.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's unusual (but not at all impossible) for a neutered male to be so territorially aggressive. In my experience it's usually to protect their own territory.
I'm presuming he has been done?

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I meant for the police to come out and talk to the guy. I doubt they are going to set any traps.
I also don't think they will automatically euthanize the cat since most counties have the seven day grace period and he is micro-chipped.
I can see that getting nasty. The cat's owners will know who called the cat in...and the police will just say, hey, don't do that. Here's your cat back.

It's unusual (but not at all impossible) for a neutered male to be so territorially aggressive. In my experience it's usually to protect their own territory.
I'm presuming he has been done?
Yes, he is neutered and well-taken care of. Well fed, groomed, etc. His family lives maybe 1/4-1/3 mile down the road? Not very far, but also not exactly next door to them.

I sent my parents the link about the returned animal fees and eventual court summons. She is sharing it with the neighbor whose cat also got attacked.

Sean35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a similar situation with an indoor/outdoor cat who was being a bully to ferals, despite not seeking out food at my house (other than hiding in the bushes and killing birds under my feeder). In my case I don't know who the owner is since the tag on his collar only said Oscar, and had no other information. He ended up wandering into my trap (that had no food in it, it was actually drying out and I wasn't aware it was set), and spent a good 45 minutes in there before I discovered him. Anyway, I still see him in the neighborhood, but almost never in my yard anymore, so something like that might help spook this cat.