Sensitive Ears

Chatdgouttiere

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Minette is now 7 years old, and she always had sensitive ears. She ducks when fingers touch her ears, ever so lightly, while petting her. She has seen two different vets (from two different clinics) in the past few months, and in both cases I was told that they can't see anything wrong with her ears. As she is getting older, the sensitivity of her ears seems to be getting worst. Does anyone out there have any experience with such a problem?
Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think it is the same thing, but Feeby flicks her ears and sort of flinches anytime I even remotely touch them. But, she also "squawks" anytime I touch her anywhere - even if she is aware I am about to touch her. So, I just consider her super sensitive to all touch, and it does seem to have gotten more exaggerated over the years. She doesn't however react (other than loving it) when I touch her with a brush.

Could it be static electricity?

Any other body parts that affect Minette the same way?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another thought...cats have vibrissae (whiskers) in their ears, as well as on their cheeks, "eyebrows" and behind the front legs. We know that some cats have hypersensitive whiskers. Hekitty, for instance, will not eat out of a bowl if her whiskers touch the sides. She may have a hypersensitivity issue, and any touch on her ears disturbs those sensitive vibrissae.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chatdgouttiere

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[QUOTE="Could it be static electricity?
Any other body parts that affect Minette the same way?[/QUOTE]

No, it's definitely not static electricity, because when that happens, she just leaves.

And it is only her ears that are the problem. She loves being pet and scratched all over, just not the ears.