Sensitive cat now afraid of bed?

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our cat Fred is very sensitive. He is also the biggest love muffin cat I've ever had. He sleeps with us every night since we got him 10 years ago. Except last night. Or yesterday day.

Bogey, our senior cat that crossed the bridge yesterday had his seizure on the bed. According to DH he caterwalled quite loudly and had multiple accidents. During the event he said Fred jumped onto the bed and sniffed Bogey who then screamed and Fred took off underneath the bed and didn't come back out until after we had left for the vets office.

And now, Fred won't get on the bed. He is laying on the love seat that is in the room so at least he is in the space.

I'm torn on exactly how to approach this with Fred:

1) I could put him on the bed with me tonight, give him treats, watch TV and see if he'll stay on it with me. I don't want to traumatize him any more so I'm thinking I shouldn't do this one.

2) Give treats to lure him onto the bed. See if he will take the bait.

3) Let this run it's course and see if he eventually comes back to the bed.

I'm leaning towards 2 but I'm also tempted to let this run it's course and see if he can make the transition back to the bed.

What are your thoughts?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can see how poor Fred got scared witnessing Bogey's seizure on your bed. Poor baby!!

If it were me, I'd give him a few days to get over that experience, then start tempting him with his favorite things on the bed. If you push it on him when he isn't ready and it scares him further, it can only reinforce his fear of the bed. He'll slowly forget what happened given time.

I know that Fred and Bogey only shared 3 years together, but were they friends? Fred could also be grieving to some extent, which means he needs more attention right not, but not necessarily on the bed yet.