Sensative Stomach Issue In 7 Week Old Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that wasn't it. Now I know for sure that the sound of those really doesn't bother pets. So I will be collecting a 3rd sample and take them over. The wind has eased up so I can.
Man, this is bothering me. I wish I knew how to fix this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm thinking that they may need another round of a different antibiotic, OR it may be a dietary issue.

Have you tried giving them a teaspoon each of plain, canned pumpkin? It helps to firm the stool.

I'm sorry you are still dealing with this.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried pumpkin when they were still nursing. Added it to the formula. They refused to eat.
The shelter will give the samples to the manager tomorrow and gave me some different probiotics to use. They kept saying the poop didn't look too bad for a kitten. I should have taken a picture of the runny stuff and showed them. This is not normal. With any luck the manager will actually send the sample out for testing.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well crap, literally. Received a call from the manager this morning. Apparently, the shelter worker who took the sample didn't process it properly and now it's bad. I can deal with that, I will just drive the 45 miles in 65mph wind gusts to give them a new one.
So I look in the box, the only poop in there is kitten firm. They were a 5.5 on the poop chart (that just cracks me up...poop chart), and this one is a 4, which is normal for a kitten.
So until they give me something I can work with (and I truly hope they don't), I'm just waiting.
Maybe it just took a few days for the ultrasonic to leave them stress free, because I don't think just one dose of probio's did it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE
Mostly solid stools today. There was one slightly mushier (about 4.5), not worth getting upset over.
So I've learned that although the ultrasonic rat/mouse repeller is alright for animals that can move around and leave the area...not so much with mostly confined pets. Especially when it's right there.
I know accidents happen and we are 'only human', but I feel like all this is all my fault. If I'd just remembered it was there this could have all been avoided. I feel like a bad mommy. It's making me second guess myself and wonder if I should even keep fostering if I'm going to make stupid mistakes like this one.

lockiedox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats had a problem quite like this!

With much trial and error it turned out he had an allergy to the kitten replacement milk and various brands of wet and dry food.

If you have found a food which makes the stool normal and hard i would stick to that food and possibly get some medicines for an inflamed bowel as this was what happened my cat and the food was causing inflammation in his belly!

Good luck and let us know the outcome

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had a problem quite like this!

With much trial and error it turned out he had an allergy to the kitten replacement milk and various brands of wet and dry food.

If you have found a food which makes the stool normal and hard i would stick to that food and possibly get some medicines for an inflamed bowel as this was what happened my cat and the food was causing inflammation in his belly!

Good luck and let us know the outcome
The problem was the stupid rat be gone thing, I hope. I'm still keeping a close eye on the litter box though.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One small update (maybe the last)
Decided to push my luck yesterday and fed them each 1 tsp of canned food. Stools are still solid. I'll feed them the same today and if my luck continues, then I can slowly up the amount. Who knew? I can keep the other two sonic things, since my pets can move away and they have never bothered them and I'll move that one to another room.
I think I've finally got this licked. Now I can say for certain that my kittens are healthy and I won't stay up all night with worry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is good news! I hope the solid stools continue so the kittens can enjoy their wet food again!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Odd bit of news. I found out yesterday from a shelter worker that these kittens weren't supposed to live. This is the first time I have fostered for this shelter, I guess the figured give the mostly dead kittens to the new person and let her deal with it. Yay for me.
On the up side, they are back on canned food (with 24/7 kibble), solid poops. The runt now weighs 2.6 lbs and the other two 2.7 lbs. They are scheduled to be spayed week after next.