Senior Transitioning To Raw Food

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow Cat Parents, my boy Kasper will be 17 years young next month. He has hyperthyroidism and kidney issues that developed after he was put meds to balance his thyroid. I recently took him to a holistic vet and they recommended that he eat a species appropriate food diet. Previously he was eating Merrick's Senior dry food and hills science diet k/d canned food.

So now I'm transitioning him by mixing the raw food in with the k/d canned food and adding water to mix it. No more dry food at all. Over the last week or two since this diet change began, he's peeing less and pooping even less than he's peeing. He'll go 2 days or so without pooping and usually pee twice every day, give or take.

My question, is this normal? Or is there a problem?

He spent some time in the litter box today trying to poop, after not pooping for the last 2 days. He couldn't do it so we're taking him to the vet this afternoon to see what's up.

Much love,
Stephanie (Mama to Kasper)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What raw are you feeding? Raw fed cats do poop less than canned or kibble fed cats, sometimes every couple of days, but the fact you said he's in the box trying to go indicates he's probably constipated. Make sure you're feeding a raw food that uses eggshell calcium rather than bone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm transitioning him to fully raw so he's not there yet. I'm feeding him a blended version of hills science diet k/d canned food, like a wedge of that. Mixed with half of a patty of Stella & Chewy's brand. I rotate it with Rad Cat brand. I also add water to the food so it's like a chunky soup or a stew, sometimes a little thicker.

I took him to the vet and they gave him 2 enemas and he released a lot of poop. They gave him subcutaneous fluids just to make sure he had a boost of hydration even though he wasn't dehydrated beforehand.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd cut out the Stella and Chewy if you can. It has bone, so it's not really appropriate for a senior cat, and I would bet it's what's causing some, or all, of the constipation issues. Rad Cat is good though they use eggshell calcium.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a senior (almost 13 years) and a kitten (9 months) on raw. They both pee a lot because of the high water content in raw (about the same water as canned). The kitten still eats all the food she wants and poops about once a day. My senior is on calorie-restriction and only poops every two or three days, but does not strain when he needs to go.

Straining to poop is a problem, either constipation or perhaps a blockage from eating string or something. Will look forward to hearing the update from the vet.

Welcome to TCS! :hellocomputer:

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd cut out the Stella and Chewy if you can. It has bone, so it's not really appropriate for a senior cat, and I would bet it's what's causing some, or all, of the constipation issues. Rad Cat is good though they use eggshell calcium.
Good advice, thanks! I will feed him the Rad Cat instead of the Stella and Chewy. I will also keep a look out for different foods in the future that uses eggshell calcium instead of bone as well.

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a senior (almost 13 years) and a kitten (9 months) on raw. They both pee a lot because of the high water content in raw (about the same water as canned). The kitten still eats all the food she wants and poops about once a day. My senior is on calorie-restriction and only poops every two or three days, but does not strain when he needs to go.

Straining to poop is a problem, either constipation or perhaps a blockage from eating string or something. Will look forward to hearing the update from the vet.

Welcome to TCS! :hellocomputer:
Hi and thanks for the welcome and input!:) The vet had to give him 2 enemas today and he released a lot of poop. They gave him subcutanous fluids as a hydration boost, just as a precaution. His vitals are all good and there doesn't seem to be a health related issue that is causing the constipation. I will be taking him to the holistic veterinarian tomorrow for a follow up appointment on how he's doing after the enemas and to get a natural stool softener to prevent this in the future. He's not a happy boy right now but I don't think I would be either after 2 enemas and a ton of poop.:eek:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I expect he's not happy with the enemas, "Hey! What are you doing back there????" :whistle:

...but I'm sure he's relieved to be, well, relieved. I bet he'll feel a lot happier after a little cat nap. :catrub:

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
I expect he's not happy with the enemas, "Hey! What are you doing back there????" :whistle:

...but I'm sure he's relieved to be, well, relieved. I bet he'll feel a lot happier after a little cat nap. :catrub:
I hope so! He's never had an enema before, or even been constipated so this is all new to both of us. Poor guy. He's been sleeping and he's just not interested in doing anything. He isn't even interested in eating kitty treats that he'd normally devour. I'm trying not to be crazy concerned and just let him be and recover however he needs to. Giving him lots of love and I fluffed up his favorite pillow next to me.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes just the trip to the vet can make a kitty stressed and grumpy for a little while. Is he feeling better today?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
www.catinfo.org
"Miralax (or its generic equivalent): Again, it increases fecal water content without adding bulk to the stool. Most feline veterinary practitioners like using Miralax much better than lactulose which also adds water but not bulk. Miralax is tasteless and can be mixed with the food. This is much better than trying to get sweet, sticky lactulose into a cat!
Start with 1/8 tsp once or twice-daily mixed into the food and increase from there to get the desired fecal consistency. Most cats do well on no more than 1/4 tsp twice-daily but it is safe to go higher. If your cat’s stools are too loose, lower the dosage."

Food for thought. Even when Tom was so backed up he was vomiting, we never had an enema. Fascinating. They prescribed lactulose and he hated it. I spoke with Dr Pierson recently and she said if he starts doing that again to start with the miralax. Worth discussing with your vet.

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
www.catinfo.org
"Miralax (or its generic equivalent): Again, it increases fecal water content without adding bulk to the stool. Most feline veterinary practitioners like using Miralax much better than lactulose which also adds water but not bulk. Miralax is tasteless and can be mixed with the food. This is much better than trying to get sweet, sticky lactulose into a cat!
Start with 1/8 tsp once or twice-daily mixed into the food and increase from there to get the desired fecal consistency. Most cats do well on no more than 1/4 tsp twice-daily but it is safe to go higher. If your cat’s stools are too loose, lower the dosage."

Food for thought. Even when Tom was so backed up he was vomiting, we never had an enema. Fascinating. They prescribed lactulose and he hated it. I spoke with Dr Pierson recently and she said if he starts doing that again to start with the miralax. Worth discussing with your vet.
Both the standard vet and the holistic vet recommended using Miralax in each meal. The standard is 1/4 teaspoon but I cut that in half just to be mindful of his sensitive system. He's transitioning to raw and getting constipated while still getting enough water and not showing signs of dehydration. Both vets were scratching their heads on that one! So I will increase the dose if he doesn't poop yet.

Thank you for the suggestion as well! The holistic vet also gave him some supplements for each of his meals as well. Hopefully this will all do the trick and get him regular.:lovecat:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both the standard vet and the holistic vet recommended using Miralax in each meal. The standard is 1/4 teaspoon but I cut that in half just to be mindful of his sensitive system. He's transitioning to raw and getting constipated while still getting enough water and not showing signs of dehydration. Both vets were scratching their heads on that one! So I will increase the dose if he doesn't poop yet.

Thank you for the suggestion as well! The holistic vet also gave him some supplements for each of his meals as well. Hopefully this will all do the trick and get him regular.:lovecat:
I'm curious about what supplements your holistic vet recommended, and are they standard supplements because he on raw in general, or supplements that specifically help with constipation, or "senior cat" supplements?

My orange kitty is getting up in years, so I've been pondering whether supplements need to be adjusted for him.

Very glad to hear he's back to his normal self! :)

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious about what supplements your holistic vet recommended, and are they standard supplements because he on raw in general, or supplements that specifically help with constipation, or "senior cat" supplements?

My orange kitty is getting up in years, so I've been pondering whether supplements need to be adjusted for him.

Very glad to hear he's back to his normal self! :)
There are 2 supplements: Animal Essentials Colon Rescue and a probiotic called Gastriplex. In a few weeks he will begin some fish oil too. I think they're not age specific, just more for his general health and digestion.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 2 supplements: Animal Essentials Colon Rescue and a probiotic called Gastriplex. In a few weeks he will begin some fish oil too. I think they're not age specific, just more for his general health and digestion.
Thank you. At Tangent's age, I'm watching for any "old age" symptoms and want to be prepared. :)

Hopefully those products will get your kitty regular again.

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. At Tangent's age, I'm watching for any "old age" symptoms and want to be prepared. :)

Hopefully those products will get your kitty regular again.
You're welcome! I hope they get him regular again too. He hasn't pooped yet, not since the day before last and I told the vet this. They recommended that I increase the Miralax dose to 1/2 teaspoon in both meals and if he doesn't poop by Monday then bring him back in. Here's hoping he'll poop!:worship:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no.

All right, Kasper...We are rooting for a good poop. You can do it!

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, no.

All right, Kasper...We are rooting for a good poop. You can do it!
Unfortunately there hasn't been any poop surprises in the litter box yet, which may mean he will need another visit to the vet tomorrow and likely another enema. My poor boy, I just don't understand why the change to just canned and raw food is making him constipated.:confused2:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not uncommon or older cats on raw food to only poop every 2-3 days. The concern is if they are straining to poop, or if they have an easy time with it.

Keep us posted on Kasper. :hugs: