Senior Stray

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
A neighborhood stray that has been around at least 7 years (as long as I have lived in my house) decided my garage was worthy of calling home (I leave the door raised a bit for the strays to come in for warmies) . After a few weeks she decided she wanted some attention and pets, then she made it clear she wanted to come inside. I got her to the vet with no issues, she is about 16, has no teeth, is very heard of hearing and I also suspect vision issues, has a clean bill of health otherwise (I did all the bloodwork too). I named her Annie.

Annie is currently is in my laundry room in the basement, its a nice size room with another room inside that she has access to, with lots of hiding places if she feels the need. She is extremely affectionate and seems very content! I recently inherited my ex-husbands cat Ms. Kitty, after a accident left him in a wheelchair. She is 14, very mellow and not aggressive at all towards other cats, she begrudgingly accepts other cats and just wants her daily shower, a little play time and sleep. These cats live in my finished basement and I am slowly working on introductions for Annie & Ms. Kitty. I do move Ms.Kitty to another area of the house and allow Annie to roam around freely in the basement, she will come out wander around for maybe 5-10 minutes and then go back to sleeping. She has very little interest in leaving her room. Should I be concerned ? Annie has no interest in treats or playing with a wand, but will play with her toys when alone on occasion. She seems to just want some pets, and to be left alone to sleep, and I am fine with that if that is what she needs. Are there any special considerations for introductions for a hearing and vision impaired senior kitty? Thank you !
7F792F8C-CD9C-4C10-9ECA-F0A49F4ED87C.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I be concerned ?
I think you'll find that as time goes on she may become more active. Sleep is as recuperative for them as it is for us. For my Captain, he was on the street twice in an approximately four month period of time, and then a while in the shelter. He was too anxious and excited initially to sleep but his naps became longer and longer and after about a week with us, he is actually sleeping a deep sleep.

The Deaf Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Living By New Rules: Caring for a Blind Cat

8 Ways to Help Your Blind Cat Have a Safe and Happy Life

I recently inherited my ex-husbands cat Ms. Kitty
Bless you for this :bouquet:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow! Call that senior feline wisdom! Annie has decided she would like to spend the rest of her days/life in an easier, more comfortable environment, and she is lucky that you agree! She has probably long been around other cats when she was a stray, but there is no telling what might happen over the course of time as you move through introductions. Until such time, give her the attention that she wants and let her be otherwise. The fact that she will play with toys in your absence is wonderful and may ultimately lead to her playing some with you. She just really needs more time to get her 'footing' and now feels very 'safe' in the area you have provided for her. That unto itself are huge steps so far!

As far as hearing and eyesight deficits, she has probably adapted to a degree to both. Hearing is a lot harder to decipher, but the vet should have had some indication if they think she might have some limits with her eyesight, just on examination alone. If she is already navigating around your basement, then she knows where things are - just don't move them if you can. Never touch her without her being able to be aware first of your presence - that means getting in front of her first. She can smell you, as she can also smell your other cat, so she already knows there is another cat around. It is believed other senses become heightened with the loss of one. Nightlights can be helpful to cats with impaired sight.

Ms. Kitty needs her own adaption schedule as well (I don't know how 'recent' her arrival has been). So, both need to be acclimated to their new homes before introductions can really begin.

I don't know of any particular guidelines that apply to your situation, short of the ones offered above by Furballsmom Furballsmom , but maybe you can glean something from these TCS articles too.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Bless you! Annie and Ms. Kitty are two very lucky cats to have you to rely on! And please keep us posted!