Senior Losing Weight

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i need someone to tell me it will be alright.

My old lady, Hariette, is 12 1/2. She has weighed, pretty consistently around 8.9 lbs for the past few years. The past month, she has dropped down to 8.4. I’m worried about the weight loss, but at the same time, I know she’s a senior cat.

She’s perfectly fine in all aspects. She eats, drinks, poops, plays, and is otherwise her normal self. The only thing that I’ve noticed is that her teeth are getting to the point that they probably need some dental work. This is a cost I can’t pay at the moment, unfortunately.

Could the teeth be the underlying issue or is she simply getting old and skinny like so many cats do? I’m honestly having anxiety attacks over it and obsessing over every little thing she eats.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! I am guessing it is not her age as they can live another ten years and a little older. I suggest you give her soft foods for now and save up for a dental check. If you have noticed tooth issues it could be just that. A vet wellness check might give you a quick answer and then you would know what dental issues or expenses you face. It could just be a tooth bothering her. Stay calm. Don’t get too upset, just start her on softer foods. Try things with lots of gravy. You can also add a little meat baby food to her dish to supplement her diet. They make a nice turkey and gravy. My kitties also love the beef and ham but not sure why. You can purée her normal food in a blender as well. Teeth are important to general health so I would start working towards getting her checked but if all else is well I would not panic. There are some programs out there that offer some assistance for vet care and some organizations and vets offer a payment system. Call your vet and explain what is going on. This is an axcellent time of year to ask for help. You can also look for clinic services. Your local Humane Society May have a vet on staff or be able to direct you to help. Please let us know how Harriette is doing! Hang in there, it sounds like it really is going to be alright! :)
:hellocomputer:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Echoing Jcatbird Jcatbird 's sentiments. The only question I have is: have you noticed a decrease in her overall food intake? Given the teeth issues and weight loss, you might have. If not, there is possibly another underlying cause for weight loss, especially given her age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's fine otherwise. The only thing that I can think that this might be is her teeth or maybe even worms from fleas. I'm just at my wit's end with this. The steady decline is what is bothering me.

I've start supplementing her with Nutrical to try and make a difference. I have a vet appointment for one of my other cats in about two weeks. I think I might see if I can bring her as well, just to have someone give her a once over.

I just feel like crying because I have no idea what's going on with her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel your pain - if not for the same reasons, but just in general because some of this stuff can be so frustrating.

Tapeworms are from fleas, and yes over time can cause weight loss - but, have you checked for them in her stool? That is how I found out Feeby had them, and she by no means lost any weight from it. In your case, with more than one cat, you would have to 'catch her in the act' so you could actually inspect her poop.

If you haven't noticed a decrease in the amount of food she is eating, then even if her teeth are bothering her (and, assuming she doesn't have tapeworms), there would seem to another reason for the weight loss, yes?

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has fleas. This house is infested and we can't get ahead of the infestation. However, we are going into a dormant phase, so tapeworms are a possibility.

No matter what, I can't financially afford much of anything. So, I'm hoping that what is happening is a simple fix.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found this article on non-prescription treatments for tapeworms (as well as discussing other worm issues), although it would be nice before you would try any of it if you could confirm that tapeworms are actually the problem.

https://www.cuteness.com/article/praziquantel-dosage-cats

At a minimum, you could at least call the vet's office about treating with any of this stuff. A call shouldn't cost you anything.

If the house is infested with fleas, I take it that you are not able to use flea treatments, such as Advantage II, Revolution, etc.?

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have used everything, including professional treatments, and nothing has worked on the fleas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Professional treatments to the house - and not something like monthly flea treatments directly applied to the cats will not resolve the problem.

Sorry, if I am frustrating you...

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We do both. I've had exterminators and I give all the animals in the house flea treatments.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, the only other thing I could recommend would be to consult multiple vets/clinics/no kill shelters/rescue centers in your area and see if they have an opinion about whether some of the monthly flea treatments (the ones that are applied on the back of the cats' necks) could have generated an immunity within the flea population for your region - and, then see if they know of some that have not, as of yet. There have been known cases where a given flea treatment (usually not all) has 'worn out it's welcome" (so to speak) in a specific area.

Instead of spending money on house exterminators, save it for a senior check up on your 'old lady' Harriett. At 12 1/2 years, she needs a thorough senior check up and a full senior blood panel. That weight loss is pretty concerning. Her teeth may be playing a role, but since you didn't say her food intake is down because of it, there has got to be something else going on. Cats don't get skinny from age alone - Feeby is 14+ and is definitely not losing weight.

I want to help - we all do here on this site, so please try to understand my questions and comments. They are truly meant to be helpful.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She had a senior blood panel done about a year ago. We skipped it at the last appointment because she was in good health.

The last professional flea treatment I had done was back in the summer, so my lack of funds isn't due to that.

The only reason I mention worms is because there are fleas and there has been a history of fleas. She doesn't show any worms in her poop, however. I just checked her litter box, and there's nothing there.

I have no idea. I'm super frustrated. Maybe she's dying. At this point, there's nothing I can do except wait until I have money because there's nothing in this area that will pay for a vet visit and the vet won't do payment plans.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have tried diatomaceous earth and salt. I have tried every herbal, all natural option I could possibly think of. I have tried every chemical option available to me. Nothing has worked. I don't think anything short of moving out of this house (which isn't financially available) will solve the issue.

I've visited multiple financial aid places, but unfortunately, I don't live in a place where I qualify or she doesn't qualify. My only option is to reopen my CareCredit card, which isn't ideal as it would make an already super tight financial situation that much worse, but I guess I have to do what I have to do. My financial situation is bleak, adds to the anxiety I'm already suffering, and isn't something I can easily change at the moment.

This is why I simply asked for people's experiences with the SYMPTOMS and reassurances that it wasn't something that needed to be rushed out and tended to.

When times are good, they're good. When times are bad, they're really bad. It's like being kicked when you're already down, so that's where I'm at.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

Yes, the teeth could be an underlying issue.

However, be aware that no one here is going to say anything other than "it could be", because we're not vets, and every cat is very different.

Yes, I've experienced similar in regards to weight loss, I'm sorry, I didn't clarify. My boy started losing weight last spring. He checked out perfectly. He lost more than .4. He is 13 yo.

In his case Fancy feast changed their recipes which i learned about here, and he started eating less very gradually. The minute I caught it I started supplementing with extra freeze dried treats, cheddar cheese, pouch foods since he likes the gravy, and he stopped losing and finally gained some back and is stable.

Yes, it scared the daylights out of me.

My cat is too picky and doesn't like too much else (although reddiwhip is a definite yes in his book LOL).

In your case, if you're able to feed your kitty additional soft foods --such as the Pedialyte and kitten glop referenced in the kitten-rescue link above, and canned kitten food etc you may find that the weight loss stops.

Best of luck, I'm sending my thoughts and prayers!

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a similar flea problem in a house we rented. The problem there was that the basement was open and any cat, dog, mouse, squirrel, or person who wished could walk right in. Some of the fleas left those who brought them and came up to live with us.

If you have a basement consider putting heavy wire over any large openings - the open cinder blocks, holes. For smaller holes favored by mice put cotton balls or rags soaked in peppermint oil For some reason mice hate peppermint oil.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The issue is, she's already on a limited diet. Anything else makes her throw up, which is only going to exacerbate the issue. She is on easy digestion food for her stomach.

I measured out the food last night and she's definitely not eating as much as she either should or used to. I'm terrified. She absolutely won't eat wet food. We ruined her on it when she was younger and was dealing with a particularly nasty illness.

I'm terrified that if they do have to do a major dental cleaning, she won't eat wet food. I'm terrified that she might not even survive a cleaning because of her age and previous health issues.

As of right now, she's hovering around 8.3lbs. That's half a pound down. I'm supplementing with nutrical since she's not eating all of her food.

I guess there's nothing to do but just sit and wait and hope that something good comes through financially so that I can take her to the vet soon.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a similar flea problem in a house we rented. The problem there was that the basement was open and any cat, dog, mouse, squirrel, or person who wished could walk right in. Some of the fleas left those who brought them and came up to live with us.

If you have a basement consider putting heavy wire over any large openings - the open cinder blocks, holes. For smaller holes favored by mice put cotton balls or rags soaked in peppermint oil For some reason mice hate peppermint oil.
Done all of this and above. Still have them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, it was all I could think of. Fleas are terrible.