Senior Kitty Not Ok With Any Doors Shut

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted a 4 year old kitty about a month ago. The introduction was less than desirable. Our newest fur baby very much wants to play and or eat my old baby And because of his age I’m now realizing that a play tap or swat could really hurt him. We put up baby gates and seperate them at night but my senior kitty is having a really hard time with being blocked off from any room. He’s the one who slipped under the baby gate into “ the lions den” so to say and he’s crazed to get into my sisters room when new kitty is in there. It’s frustrating because I’m tryibg to keep him safe but he just won’t stand to Not be able to go where he wants. Is he really just obsessed with going where he shouldn’t? He was on my face pawing at me all morning long, even after I fed him and pet him.. he wouldn’t let up till I got up a third time and he led me to my sisters room and was scratching at the door like “ no closed doors in my house” and yet when I finally open it the new cat charges out and pounces on him. I just want say in cat speak “ we are trying to keep you safe” .. then he runs and hides from the new cat! What do I do?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I thought this Article on how to successfully introduce cats might have some helpful tips for you: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
And another on how to fix an unsuccessful cat introduction:
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Thank you for adopting. :thanks: Since the new cat is still a youngster it might help for you to play with him to tire him out. This may also relax him so that he doesn't charge at your senior cat. Here are some examples of interactive playtime activities for the new kitty: Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a cat cage for your four year old at night? There are some very roomy tall two tier ones that have space for a sleeping area. This would let your old guy roam at night without being chased.

Check this one out on Amazon:
Yaheetech Large Cat Cage Kitten Crate Pet Enclosure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about a cat cage for your four year old at night? There are some very roomy tall two tier ones that have space for a sleeping area. This would let your old guy roam at night without being chased.

Check this one out on Amazon:
Yaheetech Large Cat Cage Kitten Crate Pet Enclosure
That’s an interesting idea. I would feel kinda sad doing that but at this point it’s a good option. Can a litter box fit as well? Feeling a bit defeated because he’s lived with other cats before and while they weren’t besties I never had to worry about his actual safety so it didn’t even occur to me. 4 year old rock solid body builder Carl vs 17 year old zander who can tip over if he sneezes too hard . Thanks for the tip!! We’re not ready to give up just yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought this Article on how to successfully introduce cats might have some helpful tips for you: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
And another on how to fix an unsuccessful cat introduction:
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Thank you for adopting. :thanks: Since the new cat is still a youngster it might help for you to play with him to tire him out. This may also relax him so that he doesn't charge at your senior cat. Here are some examples of interactive playtime activities for the new kitty: Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
That’s part of the problem fixing the introduction with no doors shut or a part of the apt being blocked off by a gate just won’t
Fly. Zander will not let up. He will howl and paw at any closed door.