Senior Kitty Litter Box Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles’ Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I’m needing some advice about my “super senior” baby and our recent litter box troubles. Snuggles is 20 years old and in remarkable health for her age. She does have cataracts, so she doesn’t see too well, and we’ve decided at her age having surgery to reduce or remove the cataracts is way too risky. She gets around well and has memorized the floor plan of our house so the cataracts don’t seem to bother her. About 3 days ago, Snuggles decided to start peeing outside the litter box- right outside it, on the litter mat. She does this every time she pees, in the exact same spot. The puzzling thing is she still poops in the box, so it isn’t a problem with her finding the box or being able to physically get in it. I have seen her in the act of peeing outside the box, and there is no urgency or “I just can’t make it in the box”. She could make it if she wanted to, but has, for some reason, decided this new spot is the best place to pee. She has been checked over by the vet and she can find no medical issues as to why Snuggles is peeing outside the box. All the tests came back great, so no issues with her kidneys or bladder. We also have 2 other cats (both older as well- 18 and 15) but they have always gotten along great and I’m not seeing it as being a territorial issue. Any advice from other cat moms and dads is appreciated. I can’t be angry with Snuggles- I’ve had her for 20 years and she’s basically my baby. I am sad that for some reason she no longer wants to pee in the box, and I would love to find out what’s causing her aversion so I can fix it for her.

-Olivia

Attachments

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Sounds like she’s doing really well for her age! We had the opposite problem with a 19 year old. He would pee in the box but started pooping right in front of it. Very strange. We tried adding another box, using attractant litter, and I don’t remember what else.

Like with Snuggles, he was a sweet old kitty who didn’t mean to, he was just getting senile or something. In the end, we bought a washing machine drain pan, lined it with puppy pads, set the litter box on that, and let him do his thing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Normally for "peeing outside the box" threads, I automatically add the links to the litterbox avoidance articles, but I'm not sure they would apply considering your cat is a very senior (and beautiful) lady. :hearthrob:

I will suggest making sure you clean up the urine with an enzyme cleaner, as that is the only way the smell of pee will be completely gone. And since Snuggles has low vision, her other scents may be more sensitive, and she may be smelling where she peed, so thinking it's ok to keep peeing outside of the litterbox.

How To Remove Cat Urine
Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

And, just in case they might be helpful, here are the litterbox avoidance articles:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the washing machine drain pan lined with puppy pee pads is a great idea to try.

You might try a lower-sided box. She may be able to get in and out of the current box...but that doesn't mean that it isn't causing her a bit of pain to do so.

Congratulations on getting a cat to her 20 year mark. That really is quite an accomplishment!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snuggles’ Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your advice! The washing machine drain pan is a great idea! We have a little plastic litter mat that has the grooves in it (one of the ones that’s supposed to get the litter off their feet) and since that’s what she pees on, it is mostly contained in the tray. However, when she does a big pee, or when she gets a little off centered on the mat, it doesn’t catch it all. Putting the drain pan and potty pads under the mat would be a great idea to catch any spillage and make cleanup super easy. We have two litter boxes so she can choose which she prefers- one shallow sided, and one that looks like one of those igloo dog houses. It has gentle sloping steps, and that’s the one she always poops in, and pees right outside of. She’s a very dear girl to me- she was a gift from my parents when I was 3. Here’s the first picture of us together, and then a picture of us at the party we held for her to celebrate her 20th birthday! She’s a bit spoiled!

Attachments

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, those photos are adorable! :clap:

We tried one of those igloo things, too, thinking Travis might have arthritis and have a hard time getting into the box but he didn't like that at all.

I hope the pan helps!

Snuggles’ Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on the Snuggles Saga! After dinner tonight, she waltzed right over to the box, climbed in, and PEED IN THE BOX!!!!! I don’t think I have ever been so excited about pee- I’m a proud kitty mama! She got so many cuddles and tons of praise of course. So I’m hoping it was just a temporary little episode of senility and she’s back on track. Cats are mysterious creatures lol!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yay Snuggles! :clap2: Maybe she was embarrassed that you were discussing her toileting habits with strangers. and realized she'd better start using the litterbox again. ;)

Snuggles’ Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol- I bet that was probably it! :lol: She’s still doing great! One tiny little dribble outside the box this morning when I got up, but the rest was in the box! :yess: It’s like she started to pee outside and then thought “wait, nope, I’m supposed to pee IN the box!”

Snuggles’ Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I would give you all a further update on Snuggles. I am devestated. She passed away early this morning. I consider myself very blessed that I was at her side to comfort her until the end. It still doesn’t feel real, and my heart is broken. It was just her time, and I guess her sporadic potty habits were a sign that she was beginning to naturally deteriorate. Just thought you all would like to know.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry. :alright: Twenty years is a long time, but it still doesn't make losing them any easier. RIP sweet Snuggles. :angel:

When you feel up to it, perhaps you can post a tribute thread to Snuggles in our
Crossing the Bridge forum.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to read this news. It is devastating to lose a beloved family member. :hugs: I'm glad you were with her at the end. We'll lock the thread now out of respect for your loss and as rubysmama mentioned, we invite you to post a tribute to Snuggles in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.