Senior Cats Dietary Needs

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do senior cats have dietary needs different from younger cats? I always assumed they did but don't see much info on it. Could use any insight on this you may have. Thanks.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually dietary needs will vary in seniors based on indvidual situations. If you have a senior who has slowed down they may need fewer calories. One with kidney problems may need less phosorous. A lower protein content might be in order because of similar issues. It's one of those things that vary too much by indvidual situation to make a true blanket statement about.

It's best to get annual blood work and urinary check for seniors to spot those dietary affecting conditions early.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that it varies. Once she hit 10 my cat slowed way down and I had to lower her calories because she was getting quite fat. Now, at nearly 15, I try to feed a high protein diet and need to feed her a lot to keep weight on her. She does have to be supplemented with extra fiber to keep her anal glands from getting impacted, and Cosequin for her joints otherwise she can't jump.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in a somewhat similar situation of, at his age of 13, making sure that he still likes/eats the foods on the menu otherwise he starts to lose weight. He doesn't yell for his meals so I really have to pay attention, and utilize a bathroom scale. I'm supplementing for joints and liver support as well.
If you aren't familiar there are adult cat body condition charts, and you can also check by seeing if you can feel a thin layer of fat over the ribs. In my guy's case, his hip bones and backbone are more what I'm going by.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read quite a bit about older cats need higher, but quality protein. animal protein. That they cannot digest as well as younger cats, so they need the highest quality protein we can give them, to prevent muscle wasting. They also may not eat as well, so we need to make each bite count. Of course this can vary with cats, with a senior i would definitely keep up with vet visits, so any issues can be caught quickly. And if they have a specific illness they may need a special diet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did notice a difference in his energy when I introduced primal raw nuggets, a couple of them mixed into his regular canned every now and then, maybe every other day.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read quite a bit about older cats need higher, but quality protein. animal protein. That they cannot digest as well as younger cats, so they need the highest quality protein we can give them, to prevent muscle wasting. They also may not eat as well, so we need to make each bite count. Of course this can vary with cats, with a senior i would definitely keep up with vet visits, so any issues can be caught quickly. And if they have a specific illness they may need a special diet.
duckpond sums things up very well: it's all about monitoring and high-quality animal protein, to help keep weight and muscle.

I also agree with Kieka Kieka about the importance of blood tests. It's good to get a baseline done when the cat's younger, too, to know what you're working with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are all very helpful replies. Thank you all for the info. I forgot about the high protein for older cats too so that was a good reminder.

I don't want to change her diet until after her dental work this month. So just looking for ideas.

Now my question is--
Are there any catfood brands you know of that make a good basic formula food for senior cats? those of you with senior cats what are you feeding your them?

My girl is in good health right now but it would be nice to have a basic brand I can buy for her to see if she likes it and does well with it. My vet suggested Fancy Feast dry catfood but I am thinking there is something better out there. BTW-- I am feeding her fancy feast wet and purina cat chow for kibble. The purina chow is what they fed her in the shelter and I will continue with that until after she has her dental work. Don't want to challenge her system or stress her until she is healthy again.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually dietary needs will vary in seniors based on indvidual situations. If you have a senior who has slowed down they may need fewer calories. One with kidney problems may need less phosorous. A lower protein content might be in order because of similar issues. It's one of those things that vary too much by indvidual situation to make a true blanket statement about.

It's best to get annual blood work and urinary check for seniors to spot those dietary affecting conditions early.
FYI, low protein for senior cats with kidney disease is no longer a current recommendation from most vets. They need good quality protein to prevent muscle wasting, which comes along with age and disease.

Of course, this could vary depending on other circumstances, but feeding quality high protein food with no additives is your best bet. If able to afford it, supplementing with B12 injections a couple of times a month helps with nutrient absorption.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What to feed depends on your budget. If money isn't an option brands like Weruva, Ziwi Peak, and Natures Variety Instinct are good. I don't know many expensive brands because I can't afford them!

Cheaper food I'm more familiar with! Nutro has some flavors that are high protein, low carb. You don't need senior cat specific food, but if it makes you more comfortable some of their Senior loaves are good. Nulo has fish in most, if not all, flavors but it would be good in rotation and is a good price on sale. Carbs are low and fat is a bit high, but if your cat struggles at all to keep weight on I personally don't think higher fat would be bad. Whole Earth Farms is higher than the others in carbs but it has a lot of protein options so I like it. Fancy Feast classics are also low carb.

For dry I feed American Journey, Instinct, and Dr Elsey. I keep it to a quarter cup a day.