Senior Cat with Irregular Bowl Movements

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I have recently taken in my grandmother's cat. My Oma passed away a couple months ago and she had this beautiful little fuzzball that I just had to keep for all of us. She is 12 years old and for the most part healthy. Two separate vet's office's have been looking her over the last two months. She has clean blood work and a clean bill of health, aside from a couple teeth that need to get pulled.

My issue is with her not pooping. I don't know what is normal for her, as it was not exactly a subject that came up when I used to talk to my Oma. But she has consistently (or inconsistently) only pooped about 2x a week. I'd say once every 3-5 days. But she eats all her wet food, she plays, she is not sensitive to me squishing her belly, she does not vomit, she pees normally. The vet thinks there is no blockage, because she always does eventually poop. But we cannot figure out what is going on. Is this normal? Is this okay? The vet won't let me schedule a dental surgery to pull the bad teeth until her poop is once a day.

I try really hard to increase her diet, because I don't think she is eating enough. She has 4 3oz packets or cans of wet food a day, which seems like a lot but I guess not? Each packet/can is only 75 calories, and she is 13lbs, so she should be eating like 250 calories a day. I give her extra water in her wet food to keep her hydrated. She pees like 3-4 times a day and her skin snaps back so I don't think its dehydration. I have been adding Metamucil and trying hairball laxatives, but those don't seem to make a difference. Her poop when she does go, is small, dark, hard and full of hair.

Any advice? Any idea what is happening?

I am going to try homemade cat good next- pumpkin, chicken, brown rice, parsley, broth.

Photos just because she is so stinking cute.
Callie Moo.jpg
Callie Moo Hat.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! She IS so stinking cute!!!!

There are cats that don't poop on a daily basis, but it does sound like her stool might be a bit harder than it should be from your description. You could try something as simple as adding a few drops of olive oil to each of her meals, that might help to soften the stool up a bit and should also help with ensuring she is passing hair adequately. You could also try getting her a water fountain to see if that would encourage her to drink more. And, if she still likes to play, you could up her play time during each day, as activity also helps with avoiding constipation. Brushing her daily could help with reducing the amount of hair she is currently ingesting.

Her food intake sounds about right for her weight. I use the basic gauge of 20-25 calories per pound of body weight - so, 300 calories a day is in that ballpark for her weight (20 x 13 = 260 / 25 x 13 = 325).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will try the olive oil.

She does have a water fountain and a water bowl, she loved the fountain at first and then the novelty wore off I think because she only rarely uses it now. And I try to keep up on her brushing but she has such a nice long coat it is a daily battle 🤪. I don't know if it really is constipation because she does not really try to go you know? She doesn't sit in her box and strain or whine. It is not like she is trying and nothing comes out. It is almost like she just doesn't feel the urge for several days.

She has a very old lady temperament, but I can get her to be active for about 10 minutes before she needs a nap. I have a young cat under 2 years old that constantly tries to get her to play with him despite her best efforts to be a curmudgeon.

I am hoping to eventually figure out the underlying cause and not just treat her symptom.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I totally agree that not all cats poop on a daily basis. I actually keep a calendar of when my cats pee and poop, and it's all over the place. One day we might find four pees and no poops, then the next day, two pees and one poop from just one of the cats, the the next day six pees and one poop from each cat, etc.

It does sound like you are feeding her enough food, but what exactly is it you are feeding her? I'm a little surprised that her poops are small after several days of not finding anything. When the Vets examine her, do they say she has quite a bit in her colon? You could definitely try adding in some pumpkin (about 1 teaspoon 3 times per day) to add fiber to see if that increases her output. Or you can try adding Miralax (or a similar product depending on where you live - Metamucil is not a similar product). I use Miralax for my guys and it works well when they have issues. 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in a little water then added to their wet food. it's odorless and tasteless and doesn't gel up so is easy to give to them. I do that twice a day if they seem backed up. sometimes it takes a couple days to work.