Senior Cat Went Blind

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need advice for a relative's cat. I'm told the cat (around 17 y/o) has gone blind. I'm not sure if it was a sudden thing or gradual. They said the cat (indoor only) has been bumping into things such as the wall and furniture, and she also fell off the couch. I'm assuming she is using the litter box ok, I didn't think to ask. The cat is otherwise healthy, as far as anyone knows. They have an appointment on Wednesday.

They told me that they may have to put the cat to sleep, depending on how much things will cost. Here are my questions so I can try to help them (I may be willing to loan them money for tests or meds). The cat did live with me for a few years when they had no choice but to move into an apartment, so I do care about what happens to her.

I'm assuming the vet will check her blood pressure. If it is high, can the vet prescribe a medication without doing blood work just to see if her sight is restored? Or does the vet HAVE to do blood work in order to prescribe a medication (assuming the blood pressure is high)?

If the blood pressure is normal, I'm assuming that blood work will be required to make a definitive diagnosis? Is that correct?

If the blood pressure is normal, does blood work NEED to be done if the cat is otherwise healthy?

Either way, what is the opinion on putting the cat to sleep if she seems to be healthy? Can she adapt to her surroundings?

If it were my cat, I would definitely do blood work to check the thyroid. Blood pressure readings are part of a normal exam for cats. I don't know if there's even a point of taking the cat in if they know ahead of time that they can't afford blood work. I asked about it, but I didn't get an answer. I plan to ask again before the exam. I'm just not sure what they think the vet is going to do without blood work.

Please, do not post any medical stuff about the eyes. That makes me extremely squeamish.

Thanks

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her heart. Hopefully they can figure it out, and get her some help. I guess it will depend on what the cause is, and if they can do anything. As for being blind, if that is the only issue i know a lot of cats can adapt quite well to being blind. I would not let a vet put my cat down just because she could not see.
Thank you for having a good heart and trying to help the old girl!

Sending her my very best wishes. :heartshape:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sorry, I have no medical expertise to offer. But I have heard that cats cat adapt and live worthwhile lives without sight. Accomodations around the living quarters should be made. This info can be found witha quick google search. I would not put down a blind cat that was otherwise healthy and happy.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the cat suddenly went blind it seems that would be harder on the cat. I had a cat who gradually went blind and she memorized the house-it was amazing really that when she was quite old and would wake up forgetting what room she was in she would walk slowly until she reached a different floor material and then she could orient herself-carpet bedroom, tile kitchen, wood living room. It was like muscle memory would kick in. I did put beds and pillows on the floor and discouraged her from being on elevated surfaces.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, a vet can prescribe medication for high blood pressure (usually Amlodopine), if blood pressure is found to be high prior to bloodwork.

I took a 17 year old cat to the vet recently to have blood pressure checked. It was indeed high. Vet immediately put cat on Amlodopine...pending results of bloodwork to check for Hyperthyroid or kidney issues, as those are two of the most frequent causes of high blood pressure.

It is my understanding that, in some cases, blindness can be reversed, or sight at least partly restored once the cat is on medication and blood pressure comes down.

I have a friend whose cat went totally blind before she was aware of hypertension. The cat relied upon its other senses, hearing, touch, and got around quite well. The cat would go on supervised walks in the backyard and actually try to catch prey, butterflies etc. The cat navigated around his own home environment like a cat who had full sight. My friend was totally shocked to learn her cat was blind.

I see no reason to put this cat to sleep; however I think further tests are in order.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help. My thought right now is that as long as she is using the litter box ok and is given time to adapt, then there is no reason for her to be PTS. If she can't adapt and is constantly bumping into and falling off things then that might be different.

I'll push for the blood work. I may have to offer a loan (ugh!).

I tried reading about vision loss last night, but I couldn't. It was making me freak out in paranoia. :(

Milt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I find this thread interesting because our Mia is going blind, she's approx 17 years old. Our vet put her on benazepril, but I really don't see a change in her condition. He said it would be very hard to get an accurate bp reading because her legs are so tiny so we really don't know if it is a bp problem that is causing her blindness or something else. Seems as though from reading that there are others things that can make a cat go blind. Has anyone here had success in restoring some of their cat's vision with medication? Thanks.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why does your relative jump from "my cat went blind" to having to put it to sleep that fast, especially without taking it to the vet first to get options? That isn't a death sentence. The cat needs bloodwork and blood pressure check as well as a complete physical exam.