Senior Cat Slows Down At Night?

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, my Kasper will be 19 years young this July. He deals with thyroid and kidney issues, both of which are very well managed. He also deals with arthritis in his back legs and hips, which he’s given CBD oil on the daily and occasionally a half dose of an opiate medication from the vet. Recently he had a few weeks of diarrhea and losing weight which has since been treated with a good probiotic and enzymes. I won’t know if his weight has changed until the next vet visit in a week and a few days.

During the day he moves more easily, he’s more alert, awake and he eats and drinks normally. At night however, about 10pm on up, he’s the opposite. He’s slow, stumbles like he’s drunk, is very sleepy and not all that interested in food aside from a nibble here and there. This has been going on for a little while and just seems to be his thing. Just how he is now. It’s the complete opposite come morning.

Does anyone know why this happens? Any experience with your own senior baby?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have experience with what you are saying. Does the vet have any ideas on why? Maybe related to when his medications are given?

My cats are younger, and its just the way they have always been, but 3 of them are up and about all night, naps, play.. repeat. :) they nap more during the day. My little white girl will more often go to bed with me at night, and sleep all night. she is also more awake and active during the day than the other 3. But they have always been this way, just seems to be the way they are.

Hopefully its just his cycle right now, but i would definitely talk to the vet about it. Keep us updated!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stephanie1373 Stephanie1373 - Both of my older boys have passed their twenty-first birthdays, and they seem to tire more easily in the evening as well. As long as Kasper's overall health seems good, and his health issues are well-managed by his veterinarian, I wouldn't see a night-time "slowdown" standing alone as being terribly worrisome. Weight loss in older kitties can be a concern by itself, of course, and a brief interim call to your veterinarian before Kasper's next appointment might assuage your concerns. It sounds like Kasper is in good hands with veterinary care.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Stephanie,

Greetings to you and Kasper from Orlando! I want you to know how special I think you are to have been such a great custodian to Kasper all these years. Nineteen is amazing.

Given your description, Kasper could be experiencing a form of "sundowning," which happens in adults with dementia. It's been shown to occur in animals too, and there's a lot of information online. The person or animal is fine during the day but declines in the evening. They will get confused, suffer from inappetence or just forget to eat, and their motor skills will diminish.

Some scientists believe that CKD can lead to dementia in cats.

As I said, there's a lot of information online about sundowning in animals so look it over and see if you see a parallel. My sincerest of hopes is that I'm wrong and Kasper is, like me, just tired at night from the day's activities.

Please, please continue to update us. I never want to give anyone even possibly bad news so I'd like to hear that I'm wrong!

This article will get you started but read others and talk to your vet if you see a parallel.

Dazed and Confused: Feline Dementia

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My little old guy Max was the same. He was 20 when he crossed the Bridge last summer. I started carrying him to bed with me to save him the walk—he was very arthritic—and he would stay in bed all night until early morning when he needed to use the litter box and get a drink. I put a lower piece of furniture at the foot of the bed so he didn’t have to jump from the bed to the floor, which I could see clearly caused him pain. He’d go from the bed, to the low chest, to a soft rug for a more gentle landing. These oldsters just need a bit of accommodation!