Senior cat right hind leg turning out

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I fear my old man injured his hip. His right leg is noticeably turned out. I called the vets and left a message for an appointment ASAP there’s also kitty urgent care as well. My question is what can be done if this is the case without sedation? He’s 18 and numerous vets have said it’s dangerous for a cat his age. I know cats are notorious for hiding pain but my guy isn’t displaying any of the other tell tale signs they show instead of pain.. he’s eating, not hiding, not sleeping all the time, no hissing or growling when I touch him, still asks to be picked up and into the couch etc. ( this is not new he just can’t jump that much anymore and won’t use stairs or a ramp so he now lets us know if he wants up into something) the only cue is he’s meowing a lot but that’s all that out of the ordinary he’s a very vocal cat to begin with. So of course I’ll have a doctor look at him but was curious what people’s thoughts were as to what it could be and if it is dislocated can they pop it back in without anesthesia ( I know it would hurt just like with people) or can it heal on it own with a brace? I wouldn’t subject him to painful surgery.. i give him gabapentin already for his arthritis so it could just be a really arthritic hip that there’s not much that can be done.. any thoughts?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Leg turning out can be arthritis or a joint injury. My boy holds his leg out from his body on days when his arthritis is really achy. He doesn't show any other sign that his leg hurts, just holding awkwardly. Given your boys age and that he has arthritis already, IMHO, arthritis is more likely then an injury unless he is active or took a known fall.

Your vet will likely want to do an x-ray to confirm but many cats don't need to be sedated for an x-ray. If the current medication isn't helping with his arthritis you might want to check with your vet for other options or a holistic vet (one who actually is a vet not just a person who likes holistic treatment). My boy doesn't respond well to gabapentin so he is on a holistic treatment which helps most of the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leg turning out can be arthritis or a joint injury. My boy holds his leg out from his body on days when his arthritis is really achy. He doesn't show any other sign that his leg hurts, just holding awkwardly. Given your boys age and that he has arthritis already, IMHO, arthritis is more likely then an injury unless he is active or took a known fall.

Your vet will likely want to do an x-ray to confirm but many cats don't need to be sedated for an x-ray. If the current medication isn't helping with his arthritis you might want to check with your vet for other options or a holistic vet (one who actually is a vet not just a person who likes holistic treatment). My boy doesn't respond well to gabapentin so he is on a holistic treatment which helps most of the time.
Hi thanks for replying. It’s possible he fell because even though he’s wobbly he still tries to jump on things but nothing higher than a couch. I think you are correct about the arthritis. It’s cold and rainy here exactly when it would flair up. We’ve cranked the heat and his bed is right next to a vent so that might help him a little. I don’t like using gabapentin.. the effects aren’t consistent and sometimes it just makes him flop over and that freaks me out. I sat in the bathroom with him for an hour just now to watch him because I couldn’t help but feel he was confused why all of a sudden he was all dopey and might be scared. Then he sleeps hard and I’m constantly checking if he’s breathing 🤦‍♀️. It’s not exactly relaxing. I’ll ask about holistic ideas that’s a great idea and i would feel much better about giving him relief without potentially doping him up.

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm sending lots of good thoughts for your wonderful cat :)
Thanks! I believe the other poster is correct and it’s arthritis and hopefully next week get him something holistic to ease his little kitty joints. I mentioned above I just sat with him for an hour, roasting in the bathroom because we cranked the heat for him, just so he wouldn’t feel all freaked out by the dopy effects of gabapentin. The same dosing isn’t consistant with the effects. My little snuggle muffin just Had some treats abs is now napping again

Attachments

Shants7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for replying. It’s possible he fell because even though he’s wobbly he still tries to jump on things but nothing higher than a couch. I think you are correct about the arthritis. It’s cold and rainy here exactly when it would flair up. We’ve cranked the heat and his bed is right next to a vent so that might help him a little. I don’t like using gabapentin.. the effects aren’t consistent and sometimes it just makes him flop over and that freaks me out. I sat in the bathroom with him for an hour just now to watch him because I couldn’t help but feel he was confused why all of a sudden he was all dopey and might be scared. Then he sleeps hard and I’m constantly checking if he’s breathing 🤦‍♀️. It’s not exactly relaxing. I’ll ask about holistic ideas that’s a great idea and i would feel much better about giving him relief without potentially doping him up.
Here’s a photo of what it looks like from above a clip of him walking.. it won’t let me upload the video I’ll keep trying

Attachments

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning, I just saw this thread -- have you heard back from the message you left with your vet?
I fear my old man injured his hip. His right leg is noticeably turned out. I called the vets and left a message for an appointment ASAP there’s also kitty urgent care as well. ...
I think it would be a great idea for you to have your vet, or even an emergency vet, see your cat as soon as feasible! I was reading a few of your other threads and I see that you have a new kitty member in your household, a rambunctious one!, and maybe it's possible the two cats had a recent interaction that you didn't witness which could have had a bad effect on your geriatric kitty, especially since he is already suffering from arthritis issues. Xrays in older cats with advanced arthritis might be pretty painful to them if not under anesthesia. The limbs need to be lengthened, or stretched and sometimes bent, with the cat being held still -- and that can be painful. So I don't know how your vet will want to diagnose what can be wrong with the hind leg -- maybe just assume a broader pain issue and readdress any medications to alleviate pain?

When was the last time your 18-yr-old cat had his vet appointment with the vet for a well-check, blood work, arthritis check, and evaluation of the effectiveness of the pain medication for arthritis? You mention observing different effects on him from his regular doses of gabapentin. How are his liver and kidney readings? The vet might be able to tell if the med is continuing to help with his pain or not, or if a different med or approach with multi-meds might be needed at this point. Cats with chronic pain hide things in different ways than cats with sudden, immediate pain (like from a sudden injury). Loud or repetitive meowing can certainly be a sign for your cat -- especially now that his right back leg seems to be having some issues. Older cats lose a lot of muscle condition and strength, and he is very thin, too. Sometimes sudden movements when interacting with other cats can really stress an older cats' joints and muscles and injuries can happen.

Thinking a lot about you and your kitty, and let us know when the vet appointment is!
:vibes::vibes::alright:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would think your cat might have 'aggravated' his arthritis maybe just because he landed wrong - perhaps even from a small jump. I hope it is nothing more than that and am really anxious to hear what your vet thinks. An x-ray would make me feel better if it were Feeby (15+ yo) since she also has arthritis.

You can also talk to your vet about arthritic treatments, such as Cosequin or Dasuquin - both of which are used by humans for arthritis - glucosamine and/or chondroitin. I use Glyco Flex Plus which contains both of those ingredients as well as green lipped mussels - another product humans use for arthritis as well. They are non-prescription and can be purchased on numerous web sites. The Glyco Flex Plus costs around $10 for a month's supply of chews. Feeby was limping when I first started her on these chews and in less than a month, the limping was much better, and she was jumping on some stuff that she had previously abandoned. After a year, she is still on Glyco and the limp is gone. However, I do supplement her jumps with things like footstools (12" high) so she has interim steps to couches, etc. I started that before I started the Glyco and she took to them rather well. I also have some hard sided boxes that are 8" high to help with other places that she jumps as well. She now uses all of them pretty religiously!! She is NOT on any pain meds (thankfully - and, I hope it stays that way).

Also, of you haven't had a full senior check up done please make an appointment for that as well. The check up includes full blood work (CBC, Chemistry Profile, and thyroid check) just so you know if there is any other issues that could be brewing with your guy. Feeby has a full senior work up done twice a year.

Keep us posted on how your buddy is doing and what the vet thinks!!