Senior cat question

Punkyismybby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an almost 11 year old kitty named kush. He has always been my big boy and now he's my cute little handsome old man. He eats, drinks, plays (well not as much as he did as a young boy but he still plays), and sleeps like any other kitty but there is one thing that has been bothering me. I did the skin pinch dehydration test on him the other day and also did it on my young cats and the young cats skin snapped back instantly. Kush's skin snapped back just a little slower. Not very slow but just the smallest bit slower than my younger kitties. Is this just an age thing bc his skin may not be as elastic as when he was young? Or could this be a sign of kidney problems? Can someone with a senior cat do the test on theirs and let me know? He really has no symptoms of anything so I may just be overthinking this. He's just getting over an upper respritory infection as well but thats irrelevant, we've had many of those over the years from those darn cat herpes, thank God it doesn't seem to make him very sick! I try to only go to the vet if I have to bc poverty so let me first hear anyones input/insight/experiences! Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Punkyismybby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made a video when checking Feeby (18+ yo) because I have never been sure about what I am seeing. I shared this with several folks, all who said she is NOT dehydrated. Hope it helps.
Thank you for sharing, definitely helpful! For some reason this website won't allow me to post a video of the test on kush. I'm a bit concerned now bc his skin definitely doesn't snap back as fast as feeby's did. His skin snapps back just the slightest slightest bit slower. I am going to start saving money for vet bills, being poor is the worst!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Do you have extra filtered water bowls and maybe also fountain and a tall water glass, all cleaned daily if not using a fountain filter, here and there?

His last blood test numbers were good? By the way, 11's not that old 💗

24+ Resources for Free or Low Cost Veterinary Care - Low Income Relief

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

Financial Assistance Information | Network Partners

From this article, the baby food soup is a big hit here :)

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Uploading a video is a bit 'weird' - at least compared to including a pic. Here are the instructions -
How to upload a video | TheCatSite

You would more than likely have to see a vet first, to get some blood work on Kush and see if something shows up why he might be dehydrated. But, if he would need sub-Q fluids, they can be done at home much more cheaply than with vet visits.

Last edited: