Senior Cat Losing Weight

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I need some advice. My boy Kasper (18.5 yrs) has kidney disease and thryroid issues. The thyroid is managed by medication and his kidneys seem to be staying in a good, steady range. His blood panel was checked recently, as well as an extensive review of it too. All levels are fine, kidneys are surprisingly good and the only vitamin deficiency is b12. He’s been losing weight though and no one can tell me why because they can’t figure it out either. The vet literally said that nothing is revealing an issue that would make him lose weight.

He eats a wet food diet only and eats and drinks well. He’s also receiving subcutaneous fluids 2x a week which may need to increase. Recently, I’ve been feeding him some Royal Canin Mother Babycat food as well as his usual food, in an attempt at putting weight on him.

It seems like no matter what I feed him, he poops it all out soon after, 3-4 poops a day! They’re not healthy poops either. They look like swirls of peanut butter colored soft serve ice cream. TMI, sorry! I figure it might help to know that though. Pooping so much and soft has only been an issue for the past month. Nothing has changed either so I don’t know why this is happening.

Does anyone have any experience with an elderly cat losing weight for no reason? Is there something that could help put weight on him?

Thank you all!
Stephanie
(Kasper & Ruby’s Mom)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, NOT "TMI." Never "TMI" when we are trying to think of what could be causing an issue! Since your vet hasn't been able to find a cause, I'm at a bit of a loss. However, you could add a little canned pumpkin to his diet. For some reason, it can clear up both constipation AND diarrhea, although how the pumpkin knows which one is which is beyond me! Let us know how he is doing! OH...see if he likes bananas. NOT as a steady diet, that is totally inappropriate, and possible fatal, but as a treat. They are quite fattening, and a nibble or three a day as a treat may help him gain a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
No, NOT "TMI." Never "TMI" when we are trying to think of what could be causing an issue! Since your vet hasn't been able to find a cause, I'm at a bit of a loss. However, you could add a little canned pumpkin to his diet. For some reason, it can clear up both constipation AND diarrhea, although how the pumpkin knows which one is which is beyond me! Let us know how he is doing! OH...see if he likes bananas. NOT as a steady diet, that is totally inappropriate, and possible fatal, but as a treat. They are quite fattening, and a nibble or three a day as a treat may help him gain a bit.
Thank you! Though he was eating organic, plain pumpkin before and my vet suggested to keep it out for now because his poo was the exact color of the pumpkin. Still looking like soft serve. Once I took it out, his poo turned the color of peanut butter which actually is close to the color of his canned food. He does like banana so I’ll give him a few nibbles whenever I eat one, which is usually once every other day.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think kitten food is a good idea. However i am one of those that worry about Carrageenan, some say it causes no problems, others say it causes intestinal problems. Diarrhea being one of them. I dont know why royal canin puts this in the baby cat food, that has always irritated me. They have it in most of their wet foods. Just a thought.

Im not sure what other wet foods he is eating, but the only Royal canin i will feed is the kitten thin slices in gravy, no carrageenan. My little skinny black cat likes it so she gets it occasionally.

Royal Canin Kitten Instinctive Thin Slices in Gravy Canned Cat Food

there are several other kitten foods you can try as well.
Fancy feast turkey kitten is normally well liked. Wellness makes one. Instinct has one, and if he likes chunks Merrick has a kitten back country in the pouch that's good.

Good luck, and keep us updated on how he is doing!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if your thyroid medication isn't working anymore. The B12 deficiency caught my attention. My Timmer, who passed away two months ago, had a B12 deficiency and I had to give him injections once a week. The GI doctor told me a B12 deficiency can cause a cat to not be able to absorb all the nutrients in his food, so perhaps that's what's going on with your cat. are you giving him B12? I think that loose stools is also a side effect of the B12.
Just a thought.

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
I think kitten food is a good idea. However i am one of those that worry about Carrageenan, some say it causes no problems, others say it causes intestinal problems. Diarrhea being one of them. I dont know why royal canin puts this in the baby cat food, that has always irritated me. They have it in most of their wet foods. Just a thought.

Im not sure what other wet foods he is eating, but the only Royal canin i will feed is the kitten thin slices in gravy, no carrageenan. My little skinny black cat likes it so she gets it occasionally.

Royal Canin Kitten Instinctive Thin Slices in Gravy Canned Cat Food

there are several other kitten foods you can try as well.
Fancy feast turkey kitten is normally well liked. Wellness makes one. Instinct has one, and if he likes chunks Merrick has a kitten back country in the pouch that's good.

Good luck, and keep us updated on how he is doing!
Thank you! I am going to Petsmart today to get him some more food and I’ll pick up the thin slices in gravy as well. I will try anything to get some more weight on my baby!

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if your thyroid medication isn't working anymore. The B12 deficiency caught my attention. My Timmer, who passed away two months ago, had a B12 deficiency and I had to give him injections once a week. The GI doctor told me a B12 deficiency can cause a cat to not be able to absorb all the nutrients in his food, so perhaps that's what's going on with your cat. are you giving him B12? I think that loose stools is also a side effect of the B12.
Just a thought.
I’m so sorry you lost your baby, it’s so heartbreaking. Thank you for your advice though! The vet gave him his first B12 shot 2 days ago and it’ll likely be a regular thing. As for the thyroid medication, it must be doing something still because his thyroid levels are in a good place.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Though he was eating organic, plain pumpkin before and my vet suggested to keep it out for now because his poo was the exact color of the pumpkin. Still looking like soft serve. Once I took it out, his poo turned the color of peanut butter which actually is close to the color of his canned food.
This makes me wonder if he might have absorption issues. I mean, it almost seems as if he isn't really digesting the food completely, since it is coming out pretty much the same color as it is going in. Might be worth discussing with your vet, at any rate.

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
This makes me wonder if he might have absorption issues. I mean, it almost seems as if he isn't really digesting the food completely, since it is coming out pretty much the same color as it is going in. Might be worth discussing with your vet, at any rate.
I will definitely call and ask the vet about this. I looked up the common symptoms online and he’s got many of them.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know what he says. I know that there can be several underlying causes, but some of them aren't that difficult to treat.

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Let us know what he says. I know that there can be several underlying causes, but some of them aren't that difficult to treat.
A holistic vet said that it’s a malabsorption issue that will be remedied with a plant based probiotic and enzymes. I bought what she recommended and after the first night his diarrhea stopped! He’s back to pooping once a day and it’s mostly formed poo!

Attachments