Senior Cat Just Got Finicky

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 16 yr old cat who has always eaten dry food never truly interested in wet food until recently. I have two 1 yr old cat and 1 9 month old cat. Now with that said they are all boys and one is not fixed yet. My old cat will not drink water out of the bowl they share anymore he wants to drink out of the faucet lol and wouldn' eat the hard food if I didn't put food on top of the food lol like he didn't want to smell the other cats and now he just wants wet food. Do they just get bored he has eaten the same dry food for 16yrs lol. He eats and drinks good wet nose seems super healthy. Advice appreciated.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its hard to say overall but any change in behavior, especially at that older age could call for a checkup. When was his last check up? Has he had bloodwork done? If not it would be a good idea to get a basic idea of how his organs are functioning and all that. Cats are survivors and will hide anything wrong until it is far advanced so if any changes are noticed it is especially good to have them just checked over and some senior bloodwork done.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to jen jen , they do sometimes seem to get bored, and it also looks a little bit as though the old fellow is liking the extra attention along with the wet food. Thank you for accepting his quirks, and for accommodating him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning he jumped to the dry food because it was fresh out of the bag lol. I was wondering if it is because of the non neutered Kat

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like a combination of issues. You mentioned the one isn't fixed yet so it sounds like that's planned? That may help. A vet check up is also always a good idea if they haven't had one for awhile.

And, they do just get finicky sometimes when they're older. I started keeping jars of baby food (Gerbers or Beechnut that have only meat and gravy, no other ingredients) as a supplement or topper for food on the days my old boy didn't want to eat his regular food.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten is getting fixed sooner than later. I guess I was just wondering if him not being fixed can be wreaking havoc in my older cat and I forgot to mention I just remodeled my house. I did talk to my vet.
It sounds like a combination of issues. You mentioned the one isn't fixed yet so it sounds like that's planned? That may help. A vet check up is also always a good idea if they haven't had one for awhile.

And, they do just get finicky sometimes when they're older. I started keeping jars of baby food (Gerbers or Beechnut that have only meat and gravy, no other ingredients) as a supplement or topper for food on the days my old boy didn't want to eat his regular food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
him not being fixed can be wreaking havoc in my older cat and I forgot to mention I just remodeled my house.
I think you're on the right track. You're doing a great job of being sensitive and attentive to your older cat which is terrific!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
The kitten is getting fixed sooner than later. I guess I was just wondering if him not being fixed can be wreaking havoc in my older cat and I forgot to mention I just remodeled my house. I did talk to my vet.
A remodel and a new kitten could certainly throw off an older cat who's used to a regular routine. It's good news that he's continuing to eat and drink and use the litter box normally. :agree:

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We went from stone floors to hard wood and he is upstairs more now I'm guessing he didn't like my lovely stone floors lol but the floors on the lower level and upper level are now the same lol I'm happy he approves hahaha

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had the opposite - our senior cat never touched people food until the last year of his life, then he was all over everything we were eating. I joked that he got senile and forgot he didn't like people food. :lol:

As long as he's still eating, drinking, and using the litter box I'd humor him. Wet food might be better for him overall anyway.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard about those Hartz senior delectables? I bought one and he LOVES IT and I know it says it's a treat but he was loving it. Are they dangerous hazardous lol and can I give him 2 a day? He is eating drinking and using the litter box his nose is cold and wet no labored breathing. He seemed to feel better after eating a couple of them a day for a couple of days now. I was just told by my vet tech BFF Hartz isn' always hee favorite because of their flea treatment results in the past that she had seen.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The lickable ones? Other than tuna which maybe keep to a minimum, I'm not seeing anything terrible in the ingredients.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was the tuna bisque one for cats 10+