Senior cat in trouble - Denver, CO area

rocketscientist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning,

I'm hoping someone can help.  My friend died unexpectedly and left behind an approximately 14-yr. old cat.  I have offered to help the family find a new home for the kitty, but I'm hearing they are a bit impatient for this to happen.  The executor of the estate will be in town next week and he, especially, just wants me to take the cat to the pound (where she would almost certainly be euthanized immediately) and that's the end of that.  So I need an option for her right away.  The family won't take her, none of the friends are able to take her (all of us are "full-up" on furry friends right now).

And of course, all the no-kill shelters in the area are full (they ALWAYS are); the regular shelters do have high adoption rates but I'm told that since the kitty is older, and she has a persnickety personality, her chances of getting adopted are not very great.  Most of those places will euthanize a cat they deem "unadoptable," and they often don't give the cat a chance to prove herself.  If she's not friendly in the first 5 minutes, they reach for a syringe.  

I'm open to just about any ideas.  (She is declawed, so she has to be an indoor cat.)

Thanks in advance,

Rocket

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Can you, at least temporarily, take her in? You seem like the most obvious choice as you are the one concerned about her welfare.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rocketscientist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

Very unexpectedly today, we found a home for the kitty!  Just by chance I was talking with an old friend that I'd not seen in years and mentioned the situation.  Turns out my friend was looking for an older cat to adopt.  She came over to meet the kitty, was so patient and kind, and the kitty was as nice as I've ever seen her with a stranger!  We will take the kitty to the new home in the morning.  I am astonished and thrilled at this outcome.  Just goes to show, it pays to ask *everyone* because you never know.

CatPack, I just saw your reply.  I would have taken her for a couple of weeks, but I'd have had to lock her in a room all by herself.  I have found, over time, that this is the only way I can have another animal in my house and my own cat *not* get literally sick with anxiety.  (I've had to take her to the animal ER before when I've forced her to coexist with another animal.)  I just could not do that indefinitely.

I did learn some important things in this experience and discovered a lot of great resources, including this forum.  

Thank you all for reading.

-R

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hello All,

Very unexpectedly today, we found a home for the kitty!  Just by chance I was talking with an old friend that I'd not seen in years and mentioned the situation.  Turns out my friend was looking for an older cat to adopt.  She came over to meet the kitty, was so patient and kind, and the kitty was as nice as I've ever seen her with a stranger!  We will take the kitty to the new home in the morning.  I am astonished and thrilled at this outcome.  Just goes to show, it pays to ask *everyone* because you never know.

CatPack, I just saw your reply.  I would have taken her for a couple of weeks, but I'd have had to lock her in a room all by herself.  I have found, over time, that this is the only way I can have another animal in my house and my own cat *not* get literally sick with anxiety.  (I've had to take her to the animal ER before when I've forced her to coexist with another animal.)  I just could not do that indefinitely.

I did learn some important things in this experience and discovered a lot of great resources, including this forum.  

Thank you all for reading.

-R
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

This is great news!! Well done!! I'm sure your friend appreciates the efforts that you made to find a home for her cat.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
So happy that this girl has a happy ending! She was very lucky to have you advocating for her.