Senior cat has wheezy purr

whitney27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am searching high and low for answers and hope someone may have some insight. My oldest kitty, Jonas, is about 17-18 years old. He has recently developed a wheezy purr that sometimes leads to open mouth breathing when he really gets going. He will swallow hard after the incident. His meows are 100% normal and he doesn’t snore or make the sound when he’s not purring. He has no nasal or eye discharge and no other signs of a URI or similar.
He had blood work done recently and everything was fine. His vet has examined him and did an ultrasound which was clear. He said he wasn’t too concerned since he acts fine otherwise and the US didn’t show anything abnormal, but I’m panicked over it. I’m hoping it’s allergies but it’s just not wanting to go away. If anyone has any insight I’d deeply appreciate hearing it - thank you for your time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! This ultrasound probably was not of his head/throat area, correct? That being the case, you might want to ask the vet about an x-ray of his head/throat to look for polyps/growths.