Senior Cat Freaked Out When We Tried To Put On Flea Meds

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have two cats, one is 12, the other 13 together since they were three months old. Recently we moved to a new home where the cats go outside (only under our supervision) and the vet suggested that we put some of this combination flea/tick stuff on them just in case, it was by prescription. We have to put it on them monthly. It does not hurt, you just rub it on the back of their necks, but you have to wear gloves in doing so as it can be dangerous to humans. It is placed on their necks so they cannot lick it. The first time we did it a month ago, both were fine with it. It was like nothing. But yesterday we gave them their second dose and the 13 year old (she's a Ragdoll) freaked out like I have never seen her before. It was so bad we could not get the medication on her. She ran around the house into our bedroom, and scratched my fiance and repeatedly tried to bite him. Then she proceeded to jump onto our bed and pee, three times in a row on our pillows and blankets. She scratched her sister as well. She HAS NEVER spit peed or had accidents NEVER. It is rare for her to scratch others, or her sister and she's never bitten anyone that I know of. She was exhausted for the rest of the day and growled at everyone. She can be a skittish cat, she's nervous and anxious, but nothing like this before. The only thing I can think is that it was because my fiance put on latex gloves and she thought she was going to the doctor. But I have been at that doctor with her and she NEVER reacted like this and he wore the gloves the last time. Next time of course we are going to lock her in a room she cannot escape from and where there is no bed. But has anybody else experienced this with this type of treatment? I am wondering if maybe it does hurt her and that's what is going on? Last time she was fine with it. I mentioned to my fiance that maybe it was not spite peeing, rather it was the fact that she was so nervous and now that she is getting older cannot control her bladder, although she's never had this issue. Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to get her to be okay with this, or other products that do similar things that we can use for her? This stuff was like $150 for six months.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latex gloves are not necessary imho, just aim the applicator and you wont get it on your hands. Wait till they are eating, part the fur behind the neck as best you can (dont overstress on this, perfection not required) and just squirt it all in there at once. Or one person can part the fur and hold the cat while its purring and getting pet -- easier to get it all in that way, but might get a bit scratched up.

Of course, its October 3rd, and depending on where you live, the first frost might come before what you put on expires. Folks will tell you that ticks can live close to the house where its warmer long past the first frost, but I personally don't find that tiny risk worth getting bent out of shape about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Latex gloves are not necessary imho, just aim the applicator and you wont get it on your hands. Wait till they are eating, part the fur behind the neck as best you can (dont overstress on this, perfection not required) and just squirt it all in there at once. Or one person can part the fur and hold the cat while its purring and getting pet -- easier to get it all in that way, but might get a bit scratched up.

Of course, its October 3rd, and depending on where you live, the first frost might come before what you put on expires. Folks will tell you that ticks can live close to the house where its warmer long past the first frost, but I personally don't find that tiny risk worth getting bent out of shape about.
Thanks. Okay we won’t use the gloves and we will try while she’s eating. She actually rarely goes outside it’s her sister that is always out but the vet said to treat them both. We live in Washington, DC and it’s very hot and humid. We were built on a swamp so that’s pretty much how it feels. Normally we would have had a frost by now but it still feels like summer, it was 97 degrees yesterday.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my experience, trying to give meds that are smelly or that dribble down the skin or that are intrusive to a cat that is eating never ends well. The cat gets too freaked out, bolts away, and it is too stressful. Especially if, afterwards, one might still try to follow the cat to give the interrupted meds. The cat can quickly learn after one or two times of a bad "meal-med combo" that having a meal can lead to very weird or stressful or bad-tasting things -- they can also associate bad things with you. Also, his or her meal is ruined, which can end up being a real issue if the cat is a senior cat (and needs to eat regularly), or if the cat needs to have food alongside any meds.

I've always tried to give a medicine first, then give food or treats and lots of affection right afterwards.

Set up a recognizable pattern of your approach, maybe even at one dedicated place of giving that same medicine, talk calmly, have help from another human in holding the cat (I agree that latex gloves might scare the cat at home), give the medicine, then give the treats right afterwards and right at the same location or just a few steps away. If the cat runs away right after the medicine, let them recover in their own way, but put some treats out for them nearby and STAY CALM. Don't chase the cat.

Anyway, that's what I've discovered has helped.