Senior Cat Cancer Statistics?

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how common cancer is in senior cats?

To start off, I must admit that I have some *pretty severe* anxiety issues, for which I'm on medication for. Sometimes it stops me from enjoying my cat (estimated to be 11 years old) the way I should because I get so worried about his health! I learned about oral squamous cell carcinoma when I was googling about dental issues, and now this is my #1 fear, especially because it's impossible to examine his mouth because he just won't let me!
Does anyone know how common oral squamous cell carcinoma is, especially senior cats?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I also have to take pills for anxiety and still cannot stop worrying. But I would not worry about cancer unless the vet wants to look for it on a test or obvious symptoms occur.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t know the answer to your question. But I do know how you feel. I just had to euthanize a cat with intestinal lymphoma and my favorite kitty just had a second surgery to remove squamous cell carcinoma from her chin and might also have SCC in a place where it really can’t be removed.

However, objectively speaking, cancer is rare. Doctors and vets see a lot of it because those are the patients that require the most care, but it really isn’t common. Also, whether or not your cat will get cancer is something you can’t change. So you might as well love and enjoy him while he is around! And let him enjoy you!

Do take care of yourself. Your cat needs you! Sending comforting hugs your way. :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Sending comforting hugs your way too!
I don’t know the answer to your question. But I do know how you feel. I just had to euthanize a cat with intestinal lymphoma and my favorite kitty just had a second surgery to remove squamous cell carcinoma from her chin and might also have SCC in a place where it really can’t be removed.

However, objectively speaking, cancer is rare. Doctors and vets see a lot of it because those are the patients that require the most care, but it really isn’t common. Also, whether or not your cat will get cancer is something you can’t change. So you might as well love and enjoy him while he is around! And let him enjoy you!

Do take care of yourself. Your cat needs you! Sending comforting hugs your way. :heartshape:

theflash82

i don't own my cats, my cats own me
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you go for monthly vet checkups? That might help since the vets will most likely catch anything like that.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W wombat - Anecdotally: I've had just about an hundred cats in the past sixty years, and have lost one - and not a "senior cat" - to Cancer. Statistically, it's roughly one-half the Cancer rate in canines (some sources cite an even lower percentage).

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! The nice thing about this site is that people understand how much we love our cats.
Of course we do. It is because TCS has so many members none of them are alone with their cat care struggles and we all love cats.