Sending Stray To The Vet

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have booked an appointment with the vet tomorrow as the stray cat near my office was limping on its right leg for a few days now. On further inspection, we found out that it has a big lump on its impacted leg, not sure what has caused it and it seems so much in pain because it hasn't been eating as much as it would always do.

Just want to check whether after the vet appointment, can i release it back? I have no intention of bringing it home...and nope i wasn't thinking of sending it to rescue shelters as i think it would be better for it to roam freely like it always do for its entire life. Is it selfish for me to do so?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may need care from you after the appointment as well as medication. I hope that you will reconsider. The lump could be an abscess from a bite or it could be something that needs to be removed.

As far as releasing him back outside, you will need to discuss this with the vet. It would depend on what is wrong with him. Even though he has roamed freely for a long time, it would be nice for him to not have to worry about predators as well as bad weather. Cats can learn to adjust to inside living given time and patience.

Thank you so much for caring for him. He really needs your help right now. Please let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, you are right. After sending him to the clinic, vet suggests that he might have abscess or cellulitis. He had undergo an x-ray and it shows he wasn't fractured anywhere (luckily). The vet gave us antibiotic medicine for it and ran a avd aerobic culture on him. The results for him wasn't quite good, in fact serious. Vet mentioned if the antibiotic didn't work after monitoring him a few days, he may need amputation of the impacted leg. I'm shocked i didn't know what to do......lets just hope for the best of him. I mean if he got his leg amputated...who's going to care for him? I took him to the vet to heal him not to take away his leg....

He is now staying alone in the office...i had no choice but i've left him food and water. Hopefully by the time we go in tomorrow morning, he would still be there and will not disappear...stay strong boy...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take good care of him. If he does need the leg amputation, please do not allow him back outside. He will certainly be easy prey. Do you know any one that might be able to take him inside?

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking care of this poor little guy. You're a good person! I can imagine your surprise and disappointment to learn that he has some medical issues.

If it turns out he does need an amputation or other medical help, he will need a home and someone to care for him. You mention that he hangs around your office -- perhaps someone there would adopt him. Or a friend or family member might be willing to give him a good home. Maybe someone at the vet's office would know of a potential adoptor.

He certainly can't be put back outside if he ends up losing a leg or if he needs medical attention on a regular basis. Animals do very well with three legs and he could be a wonderful addition to someone's family!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: He's doing fine, in fact great. There was no longer a talk about amputating his arm now! He's no longer limping after a few days and he bit the bandage off himself when we left him alone in office overnight (vet says it's alright). We gave him another set of medicine and he's free to roam about now. He's a good boy for shitting/peeing inside the makeshift litter box we got for him (made of card box and newspaper).

Week before vet (look at him limping and his lump there):
WhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 9.22.55 AM.jpeg

After coming back from vet (confinement days):
WhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 9.22.55 AM (1).jpeg

Now (sleeping):
WhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 9.22.56 AM.jpeg

Thanks all so much for the advises, its really helpful to me :) The clinic is also very helpful to me by giving me a huge discount on strays knowing that i'm tight on budget. Lastly, i'm glad he's improving well. Hope he's a strong boy that do not get any other infection again.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you please find him a home? He is apparently a stray (a former pet) either abandoned or lost. Are there any volunteer rescue in your area? If nothing else,
you can loo a google search for one.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, he looks very sweet! Thank you for taking him to the vets for treatment. I'm so glad he is doing better. Did the vet have any idea what happened to him? Is there any concern about his wound healing up?

I would bet that he once was someone's pet and was abandoned. It would be so wonderful if you could find a good home for him. It would be heart-breaking if anything else happened to him wandering around outside. He is a handsome little guy -- already knows how to use a litter box!! -- so he is on his way to joining someone's family!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for updating and all of the wonderful care you have given to him. Please do try to find a home for him. Is there anyone in your office that would give him a loving home?