Sending foster back to the facility - extremely guilt ridden

Ikebears

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just lost my cat of 19 years last week. After a few days I wanted to foster a cat bc it was too quiet for me. The lady that recruited me mentioned I’d be good with felvs. So she sent me a link of ones available. I picked 3 different ones that didn’t require meds since my cat was on a couple medication and I didn’t want to do that yet. After picking up the kitten she was sneezing a lot. Evidentially her meds did not kill the uri. Now my cat that just passed was sneezing a lot a blood was coming out. This new kitten was doing the same thing! I literally broke down and just couldn’t function right.

I asked the shelter to please find someone else bc I couldn’t handle this. They told me they will try. It’s been two weeks since then and today I finally emailed them to tell them that I could not do this.

the issue is she is going back to the shelter to a cage and I just feel awful. She’s still sneezing too. I hope that all made sense. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened to you :hugs:

Maybe a healthy older kitty. This is for you to help you heal, not the shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ikebears

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you mean by not the shelter? And thank you for your kind words. It’s been awful.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
well, I could have said not for the shelter's convenience, but decided that sounded a bit harsh, ...maybe...

I just really don't agree with the lady who recruited you.

Ikebears

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well, I could have said not for the shelter's convenience, but decided that sounded a bit harsh, ...maybe...

I just really don't agree with the lady who recruited you.
ah okay, I am still grieving and I feel kinda dumb when I ask for clarification. It’s like my brain isn’t working right. Thx

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey there, don't be too hard on yourself. You are still grieving the loss of your baby and this situation may be triggering. Is this kitten FeLV positive? If so, fostering felv positive cats and kittens is hospice care. If they have an active infection then it's terminal. Kittens typically have weeks to months left and their quality of life can go downhill quickly. Hopefully you can speak openly with the foster coordinator and together decide on the best types of fosters for you. If they aren't reasonably responsive, then perhaps consider seeking out a different rescue or shelter to foster for. Fostering has difficult moments for sure but overall you want the ups to outweigh the downs. Remember that you have been giving this kitten love and comfort, which I'm sure he very much appreciates.

Ikebears

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just lost my cat of 19 years 2 weeks ago. After a few days I wanted to foster a cat bc it was too quiet for me. The lady that recruited me mentioned I’d be good with felvs. So she sent me a link of ones available. I picked 3 different ones that didn’t require meds since my cat was on a couple medication and I didn’t want to do that yet. After picking up the kitten she was sneezing a lot. Evidentially her meds did not kill the uri. Now my cat that just passed was sneezing a lot a blood was coming out. This new kitten was doing the same thing! I literally broke down and just couldn’t function right.

I asked the shelter to please find someone else bc I couldn’t handle this. They told me they will try. It’s been two weeks since then and today I finally emailed them to tell them that I could not do this.

the issue is she is going back to the shelter to a cage and I just feel awful. She’s still sneezing too. I hope that all made sense. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Ikebears

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there, don't be too hard on yourself. You are still grieving the loss of your baby and this situation may be triggering. Is this kitten FeLV positive? If so, fostering felv positive cats and kittens is hospice care. If they have an active infection then it's terminal. Kittens typically have weeks to months left and their quality of life can go downhill quickly. Hopefully you can speak openly with the foster coordinator and together decide on the best types of fosters for you. If they aren't reasonably responsive, then perhaps consider seeking out a different rescue or shelter to foster for. Fostering has difficult moments for sure but overall you want the ups to outweigh the downs. Remember that you have been giving this kitten love and comfort, which I'm sure he very much appreciates.
yes it’s a felv. I honestly didn’t know much about them. But this kitten said no meds so figured it would be ok. If she’s sick now you are saying its fatal?

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the infection is confirmed, meaning more than one positive test, then yes it is fatal unfortunately. These cats almost always need meds and can go downhill very quickly. Hopefully he can recover from this uri but there is a chance he won't. It's just about hospice and comfort care. I don't know why the coordinator would put you through this when you just lost your own cat.

Ikebears

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the infection is confirmed, meaning more than one positive test, then yes it is fatal unfortunately. These cats almost always need meds and can go downhill very quickly. Hopefully he can recover from this uri but there is a chance he won't. It's just about hospice and comfort care. I don't know why the coordinator would put you through this when you just lost your own cat.
yes, this feels horrible. I’m somewhat angry about it now.

kitkath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness, my heart goes out to you! I'm so sorry you're having to go through that, I too would be frustrated at the coordinator, not a great situation since you just lost your kitty :/ I hope they can somehow remedy this situation, and connect you a healthy kitty to help with your healing :hearthrob:

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is the kitten ? I had Felv kitties for 7 years. Until I couldn't take losing them anymore. I sympathize with your recent loss and it being too soon. But these are special kitties that, deserve lots of love and not a cage for the rest of their short lives. I lost 2 kittens at around 8 to 12 months, a few at 2.5 to 3 yrs of age. Kayenne made it to 4 and a half. All came to me as kittens or youngsters.
Good luck on your decision.... My avatar is Serendipity, my second felv kitten a real sweetheart, but I lost her way too early...
:heartshape:
Lisa and her kitty kids