Semi-recent issues/concerns with a 'List' of pet food brands that are allegedly sickening/harming cats/dogs

SuperVillainHazCatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So there's this 'List' of pet food brands, that allegedly started out with conventional brands like Purina and Royal Canin, and now the list has grown - a short time ago Orijen and Stella & Chewy's, which has frozen and freeze-dried raw, were added to the list, which is strange, and the newest (Feb 2, 2024) iteration of the 'List' - the source of which is apparently Dr. Judy Morgan's facebook page and it's being shared by another fb group called Saving one pet @ a time - anywho, the newest version of the 'List' now has Primal (also a brand with frozen and freeze-dried raw) on it.

While Dr. Morgan/her people allegedly are collecting surveys from pet parents who might have had negative effects that might have stemmed from the brands listed, and allegedly the FDA is finally perking up about the situation after this has supposedly gone on for months with some brands, there doesn't seem to be much noise about it all in a lot of the conventional/mainstream or holistic or raw-feeding social media groups. I haven't seen any other holistic vets speaking up (and if they are, what is their source of info?), it's been pretty low-key, so some folks are maybe thinking it was an overreaction maybe, especially with the higher-end raw brands being added.

Not everyone can afford to throw out bags of pet food, whether it's higher-end or not, and to scramble trying to transition your pet to a possibly more-expensive new brand, when they're not supposed to eat the existing brand, is also a quandry.

And not everyone will want to trash what may turn out to be perfectly fine food, especially if their pet hadn't had any issues so far.

(There's been no info that I can see, about specific product lines or lot numbers - it's just words along the lines of 'Don't feed any of it!' that some folks are posting.)

And other folks won't want to risk their animals at all, whether they can afford to trash and switch or not.

Right now the only source for this that I can find is a 'List', allegedly by Dr. Judy Morgan, allegedly being spread around by her facebook page and maybe one other facebook group that is run by someone who is allegedly a follower of hers and that group's followers allegedly doing the posting to other groups and allegedly leading back to Dr. Morgan and the other facebook group.

Allegedly Dr. Morgan took some samples of some of the foods and sent them to a lab to be tested.

It just seems pretty circular. And it's a little perplexing that Stella & Chewy's, Orijen and Primal are now included on the list.

(Yes, I have seen recent amazon reviews for S&C that mention similar symptoms. I know that S&C seems to have possibly finally passed out of the hands of Ms. Moody the founder and might possibly be about to be selling its products in Petsmart or Petco, I know that Orijen is owned by Mars, and that a couple years ago Primal was bought by a private investment group that has a few other brands that seem to be along holistic lines, but possibly some of the original execs might still be on board in some role)

But still, S&C, Orijen and Primal all have freeze-dried raw, and wouldn't they not really be sharing much or any of the same ingredients that the more mainstream/conventional brands on the 'List' do?

I've seen at least one person bring up the possibility that Dr. Morgan and her people may be sincere and well-intentioned and above-board, but this situation might be getting exploited by others to try and damage the reputation of raw food companies/raw feeders.

With the UK's fairly recent attempt at a pet purge in the name of climate change (they seem to have dropped it after a lot of backlash from the public), and recent news of a potential push in the US about to start to attempt to get pets to eat insect-based food, some folks seem to be wondering if maybe this issue isn't as organic (pun not intended) as it may have first seemed?

A lot of folks are pretty concerned, and additional sources of info are pretty sparse right now.

So I was wondering if anyone else here has heard about this, maybe can poke some holes in the narrative going around, or add more info to support it?