Semi-feral - When Do You Know Introductions Are Complete?

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently trapped a new cat that had been feeding for a couple of months. He was in a standoff with another feral and was abo to fight. I shooed them away and caught him two days later. It turns out that he's friendly and sweet. I have two cats and I often babysit for my daughters so it's important that they all get along. One of my cats is a feral that had a broken leg and so the intros were easier because he was in room for months. Anyway, this cat is 9 months old, neutered last week, vet checked, dewormed and all (500 worth) and as I said he's very affectionate with me. He escaped from the room I have him in 3 times and so I got to see how he was with the cats. At first all were nervous, but this last time they seem pretty calm - doing their regular things. My two seemed a little nervous but were watching him while he played and stayed close.

My question is when do I know for sure that they are ready to be left alone? I have to go to work tomorrow and am afraid to leave them together. I also wouldn't be able to sleep if I thought there would be an issue.

Thanks for any advice.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely this sweet on is a stray that was owned at one point.
Introductions between cats are always dependent on the temperament of all of the cats. It usually does take a few months for them to work things out.

For how long have the cats been out together? Are you seeing any chasing, growling, hissing, flat ears, swishing tails?

If it has only been a few days, I would definitely not leave them all out together. The new boy needs a room of his own. This is his safe room where he can retreat and feel safe. There should be toys, litter box, access to food/water and a cozy bed. Yet it also needs to be cat proofed. Do not leave any windows open. Watch for blinds with cords and draperies.

Have you been doing formal introductions or did you just allow all of the cats to be free? Slow steady introductions are much easier than quick throw the cats together.

I can post some articles and a video on cat to cat intros if you need more help.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can leave them alone together when you are not afraid to leave them together. If you think it's "probably ok", I'd wait a few more days. Wait until you have all three cats having free-run of the entire house peacefully while you are home on your days off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the speedy replies.

I put a screen door up and have all of necessary comforts in the room. He just loved being free and out.

The cats were not growling or really hissing unless he came right up to them (only one of them). I will just wait it out. I hate that he yowls occasionally, but he's getting better.

I'm not so sure I even want three cats. I have a large home, but still.

Thank you again.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the others. For most practical purposes, we can confidently say its going nicely, and they will be friends, or at least, coexist peacefully.
But its too early to leave them alone as yet. Give the process a couple three more of supervised meeting days.
Till you clearly see they are friends, licking, playing... or at least, sleeping near each other.

For the time being, kept them isolated when you go to work.

I recently trapped a new cat that had been feeding for a couple of months. He was in a standoff with another feral and was abo to fight. I shooed them away and caught him two days later. It turns out that he's friendly and sweet. I have two cats and I often babysit for my daughters so it's important that they all get along. One of my cats is a feral that had a broken leg and so the intros were easier because he was in room for months. Anyway, this cat is 9 months old, neutered last week, vet checked, dewormed and all (500 worth) and as I said he's very affectionate with me. He escaped from the room I have him in 3 times and so I got to see how he was with the cats. At first all were nervous, but this last time they seem pretty calm - doing their regular things. My two seemed a little nervous but were watching him while he played and stayed close.

My question is when do I know for sure that they are ready to be left alone? I have to go to work tomorrow and am afraid to leave them together. I also wouldn't be able to sleep if I thought there would be an issue.

Thanks for any advice.