Semi Feral, Should I Keep Or Return?

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been feeding a sweet, semi feral at my work place for 2 years, she hung out in a hay barn in a field by the work location. She sometimes greeted me when i came to work, or i called her at the barn to come eat. Was with her almost every day.(named her Misty) Took her home on Apr 4 after taking her to vet for vacs and discovering tons of abscesses and a small wound. Vet has her at 4 yrs old, calls her a semi semi feral but couldnt tell if spayed. Couldnt do the safe room, due to very small apartment and she just wouldnt put up with it. She gets along great with one but tolerates the other. She has never hissed or bit, shes a loud talker and lets you know when shes not pleased by grumbling but thats rare. One big issue is her hollering at night and scratching on windows n door. According to one feral society site, i should never have taking her away or try to find her another home because she would never bond with any one else plus says im making her life a confusing and depressing one. Part of me wants to either find her a home with an outdoor enclosure (hard finding)or take her to our local no kill shelter but afraid she will be returned or the new owner will throw her out after hearing her night time howling n scratching ritual, and she will run away n not be familiar with that outdoor area. I have been giving her some essences from Jackson Galaxy, Feliway doesnt seem to work. My last semi feral, Jessie worked out great, shes sleeping on my lap now, but she was younger and personalities different. Oh, pretty sure Misty' s not in heat, but just wants attention and/or outside, which cant do due to street i live on. Thanks for help in advance. 13501601_10206496712272721_1776347433864747576_n.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You arent complaing much about the hollering at nights. Is it almost OK for you? If so, I would say a months isnt very much. You really seem to get along well, she totally nonaggressive, altough not really submissive either. She dares to say no if unpleased. Which is a good sign. She is friends / OK with your residents.

Did the vet said what the abscesses are from? A successfull semiferale, whom isnt starving (gets food from you) shouldnt have a lot of them...
Did he a full test works?

Anyways, she was at your Place a full month now, so if it was something contagious, the deed is already done. OR its not very contagious. FIV for example, is very low contagious.
Also, at least one of your residents is herself an ex homeless, so she has the immune system above average.
So, either it IS something contagious, or if its nothing contagious - but something it is. And its Another argument for her to stay with you, where she is safe, nonstressed, well fed, in Peace with you her human and your residents...

Some thoughts of mine.

Tx for caring!

Good luck!

2 cat servant 2 cat servant

Johnny Sue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like she's fitting in well enough. I don't see a complaint that is a huge issue for you? She is going to get used to your home. My cat is trained to sleep at night but Jackson is the best information I could point you at for how to manage the issues with your's. I vote to keep her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You arent complaing much about the hollering at nights. Is it almost OK for you? If so, I would say a months isnt very much. You really seem to get along well, she totally nonaggressive, altough not really submissive either. She dares to say no if unpleased. Which is a good sign. She is friends / OK with your residents.

Did the vet said what the abscesses are from? A successfull semiferale, whom isnt starving (gets food from you) shouldnt have a lot of them...

Anyways, she was at your Place a full month now, so if it was something contagious, the deed is already done. OR its not very contagious. FIV for example, is very low contagious.
Also, at least one of your residents is herself an ex homeless, so she has the immune system above average.
So, either it IS something contagious, or if its nothing contagious - but something it is. And its Another argument for her to stay with you, where she is safe, nonstressed, well fed, in Peace with you her human and your residents...

Some thoughts of mine.

Tx for caring!

Good luck!

Misty

Some thoughts of mine.

Tx for caring!

Good luck!

OH the hollering is very much getting to me, havent hardly slept, trying to follow Jackson Galaxy and others advice on ignoring it..well trying to anyway, not working, im up at 4am typing this and shes just started to holler again. Got her tested for fiv and was negative, hadnt got the vac for it yet, Jessie my other ex semi feral, ive had since 2015, in fact i wrote about her on here too. She was tested back then also by another vet and tested negative. Had one that passed away in December of last year is only reason i brought her home, couldnt afford 4 cats here. She gets along with Jessie but not my sassy, well they tolerate each other. Vet never said what abscesses were from, she did have a lump on her chest but its gone now and abscesses are healed. Cant n my neighbor pretty sure he cant take hollering anymore, im trying though. This computer is messing up while writing this and believe printed only part earlier. thanks, hope it all comes through.

Last edited:

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she's fitting in well enough. I don't see a complaint that is a huge issue for you? She is going to get used to your home. My cat is trained to sleep at night but Jackson is the best information I could point you at for how to manage the issues with your's. I vote to keep her.
The hollering is getting to me quite a bit, just so tired i guess it didnt come through as a big issue. trying that ignore technique but 4 am n up typing while shes calmed down for the moment, but probably not long after i go back to bed. My other 2 go to bed with me n stay quiet, even my other past semi feral, did that from the start. If i lived in a home and not an apartment with neighbors would just put in earplugs lol. Thanks for voting to keep her, i want to but patients on half sleep gets thin at times lol.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The abscessed could also be from some food deficiency. and now with regular food of good quality the problem is lesser. It could perhaps also be from insect bites... Anyway, if the abscesses are disappearing, its apparently Another good sign.
Just the hollering... If you Think the neigbours are bothered, try to be extra friendly with them. Come perhaps up with some cookies to them. Preferably home made! This will tend to help them get better patience...

Vaccines against FIV and Felv... One bad thing with them is, if she will ever be released again, next time she tests the test will show the antibiodies are there, she will be noted as FIV+ and an alert be put on her...

Also, as I understand this vaccine isnt really reliable, unlike the more usual CORE and rabies vaccines. So dont do THIS

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shes
The abscessed could also be from some food deficiency. and now with regular food of good quality the problem is lesser. It could perhaps also be from insect bites... Anyway, if the abscesses are disappearing, its apparently Another good sign.
Just the hollering... If you Think the neigbours are bothered, try to be extra friendly with them. Come perhaps up with some cookies to them. Preferably home made! This will tend to help them get better patience...

Vaccines against FIV and Felv... One bad thing with them is, if she will ever be released again, next time she tests the test will show the antibiodies are there, she will be noted as FIV+ and an alert be put on her...

Also, as I understand this vaccine isnt really reliable, unlike the more usual CORE and rabies vaccines. So dont do THIS
Shes 13 lbs so i guess during those 2 years n now , i fed her pretty well lol. thought of sound proofing the walls somehow lol. The neighbor is new, just moved in 2 months ago and have talked n apologized to him many times. Just not getting any sleep can make one cranky at times. thats why i was hoping to find someone with an outdoor enclosure. A friend knows a couple looking for a barn cat but really dont want to put her through that again. Will stay away from the vaccine thanks, oh n if i made cookies from scratch my neighbors would be mad from food poisoning lol. well, gonna try n get some sleep, shes fine now but not sure how long. thanks

Johnny Sue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't be above trying a mild trank like betrayal for the cat or a not so mild trank on myself...........

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try a Feliway diffuser in her room to see if that can help to calm her. You also can try Composure calming treats or the preferred, Composure liquid max. It is a nonsedating calming supplement. I have used it many times when bringing feral cats inside the house. You can find it on Amazon.

Please do not use a tranquilizer on the cat unless that is approved by your vet.

Try playing a radio in the room with soft music. I used to leave the radio on 24/7. Cats also really like harp music. I downloaded a group of songs from Amazon on harp music especially for cats. Mine really loved it.

The yowling should get better unless of course she is truly not spayed and therefore in heat. Please please do not let her back coutside.

Last edited:

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try a Feliway diffuser in her room to see if that can help to calm her. You also can try Composure calming treats or the preferred, Composure liquid max. It is a nonsedating calming supplement. I have used it many times when bringing feral cats inside the house. You can find it on Amazon.

Please do not use a tranquilizer on the cat unless that is approved by your vet.

Try playing a radio in the room with soft music. I used to leave the radio on 24/7. Cats also really like hard music. I downloaded a group of songs from Amazon on harp music especially for cats. Mine really loved it.

The yowling should get better unless of course she is truly not spayed and therefore in heat. Please please do not let her back coutside.
Thanks, Have small apartment and only safe room is a 3 by 5 bathroom which she never took too, my other feral Jessie did well in there and was there for 3 months. Have Feliway plugged in Living room, Says covers 700 sq ft and my whole place isnt that big, but not working at all. Ordered Jackson Galaxys Night owl and have been using that for 3 days now, (i know thats not long enough yet) Going to order his essence stress stopper soon. Havent heard of Composure but will give it a try, thanks. When at work, she would go in the buildings with me and almost always lied in my lap, hasnt done that here yet but not forcing her either. Have the radio on a classical station and play that or my tv during day and when i go to work on 2nd shift. Thanks for the info.

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Try playing a radio in the room with soft music. I used to leave the radio on 24/7. Cats also really like harp music. I downloaded a group of songs from Amazon on harp music especially for cats. Mine really loved it.

She stopped howling for a few days after I recorded her one night n played it back the next night, but cut it off n pretended to sleep when she jumped on bed, Thought I finally solved the problem but she starting back up last 2 nights. Been playing soft classical which does make her quiet for a little while, thanks again, going to keep on trying.

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She stopped howling for a few days after I recorded her one night n played it back the next night, but cut it off n pretended to sleep when she jumped on bed, Thought I finally solved the problem but she starting back up last 2 nights. Been playing soft classical which does make her quiet for a little while, thanks again, going to keep on trying. Updated: Took her to vet day after posting original and found out her anal glands were impacted and had a UTI. so was probably a big reason on the hollering.

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was taken to vet for impacted anal glands and a UTI, getting better now.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh poor kitty. I hope this will settle her. Thank you for taking such good care of her.